HM Cutter Alert 1777 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Before any of the deck fittings is installed and while I can still do upside down the hull, I prefer to make and install the rudder at this stage of build. I am using the drawings in the Alert book for the rudder details.

45.jpg46.jpg47.jpg48.jpg49.jpg

Last edited:
Very good and accurate work
One question: It is obvious, that the rudder blade is shorter than shown in the drawings (contemporary and Goodwins anatomy). Your rudder is shown in your photo on the correct height (green arrow)

49.jpg Screenshot 2022-10-05 093303.png

So will you add there another wooden segment which is named by Goodwin with "Sole (fir)" shown under #10 ?
IMG_24401.jpg

I guess you will also reduce the width of the rudderblade like shown in E1/1 by Goodwin - Very good work

Very good and accurate work
One question: It is obvious, that the rudder blade is shorter than shown in the drawings (contemporary and Goodwins anatomy). Your rudder is shown in your photo on the correct height (green arrow)

View attachment 332262 View attachment 332264

So will you add there another wooden segment which is named by Goodwin with "Sole (fir)" shown under #10 ?
View attachment 332263

I guess you will also reduce the width of the rudderblade like shown in E1/1 by Goodwin - Very good work
Thank you Uwe. Yes I will add the sole as shown in the drawing.
I want to taper the rudder blade but I haven't figured out how to do it best yet. I struggled a lot with the rudder, I don't want to spoil it. Do you have any advice Uwe?

Thank you Uwe. Yes I will add the sole as shown in the drawing.
I want to taper the rudder blade but I haven't figured out how to do it best yet. I struggled a lot with the rudder, I don't want to spoil it. Do you have any advice Uwe?
Easiest would be sanding by hand with a stabile sanding block.
But you have also the possibility of your mill - fix the rudderblade with the necessary small angle on your table of your mill - the final touch than once more by hand
I saw this method already several times also here in our forum (do not ask me where you can find this here)

Very good work - and many thanks for sharing with us the working steps

Back