Hms Alert 1777- Trident Model 1:48 by Submarinerblue

My dental pick, which I was using to clean out the sawdust and deepen the CNC cuts on the frame parts, broke. So, I got a set of heavier ones from Amazon. Also tried using a clay modeling tool that I had lying around. The heavier picks seem to work well.
I use a Perma-grit tool to sand the flat pieces and a flexible sanding stick for the curved areas. You can get the sanding sticks in the cosmetics area of any drug store.
I’m still waiting for the replacement parts for the keel assembly to arrive.

01795CBB-19E0-4E50-BDFA-49F0A341A48B.jpeg41BB7DDB-E287-4AA7-B284-02E265F92F4D.jpeg90FEC963-BA3F-4599-8961-9DF4E6D4C6DD.jpeg1779FC55-4909-466D-9FB8-91D3E865AB33.jpeg

I got to frame #58 and I got flummoxed because I couldn’t find a centerpiece for the frame that fits into the keel. I realized after I had already written Trident that the frames from #58 on are glued to the sides of the keel rather than fitting into it. Duh.

it appears that the lower parts of these frames are wider than the cardboard jigs. This should not be a problem since these frames will be sanded down when I eventually fair the hull after it is removed from the jig way down the road. As I mentioned before, I am not using the jigs to assemble the frames. I’m only using them to verify that each frame has been properly assembled. So far everything fits together well.

0F86A80E-A82F-41E7-952B-D579E5CD50D2.jpeg

So far I have found only two parts that are labeled incorrectly in the instructions. On Board #12, Part AL 61-3 is actually AL 70-2. One of the two parts marked AL 70-2 is also incorrect. You’ll see that only one of the two parts marked AL 70-2 fits correctly with the corresponding AL 70-1, but AL 61-3 does. Not sure yet what the correct number is for the othe AL70-2 part is yet. I’ll find out as I continue.

78731CBF-C522-4FEC-8D23-CDDAF269DD8A.jpeg

I have completed almost all of the frames and I’m ready to start mounting them in the keel. You may recall if you followed my log that my kit had keel and related parts that were mismatched in terms of wood color. Trident responded promptly and agreed with me that it was a mistake and said he was sending replacement boards. This was in mid-August.

After a month went by I hadn’t received the replacements I wrote him and asked for tracking numbers. Turns out he never sent the parts but told me he would send them EMS by the end of the week. This was mid-September. I wrote him again two weeks later when they didn’t arrive. He responded that his associate forgot to send the parts and couldn’t send them right away because of the Chinese Autumn holidays which last til October 10!

I asked if he could expedite it by shipping FedEx (after the holiday, if course) . No, too expensive.

So, if he actually ships the parts I won’t get them for at least several weeks more if I get them at all. I would have then been waiting over two months.

I’m going to go ahead and use the mismatched Keel parts In order to continue work on the model. The alternative is to wait until late October and, frankly, I have no confidence that the parts will arrive then or at all.

Sorry to have to complain but this is what happened.

This quite happened to many of us in the past. We are humans and humans are prone to mistakes. It is an unfortunate situation (one forgot to send, Holidays delay shipment, and COVID) but always, look at the bright side.! May I give you a suggestion? Can you contact @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) he has lot's of cherry boards, Sent him the board for parts they should match and he will try to find for you a perfect match (I think). He might find it from the scrap so you pay only for shipping. Try it never hurts...

P.S. I tagged Dave, he will see my reply

This quite happened to many of us in the past. We are humans and humans are prone to mistakes. It is an unfortunate situation (one forgot to send, Holidays delay shipment, and COVID) but always, look at the bright side.! May I give you a suggestion? Can you contact @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) he has lot's of cherry boards, Sent him the board for parts they should match and he will try to find for you a perfect match (I think). He might find it from the scrap so you pay only for shipping. Try it never hurts...

P.S. I tagged Dave, he will see my reply
I could do that but then I’d have to try to cut out all the parts on one board on my jigsaw and try to get exact matches. For some parts that would be easy but for the keel with all the indentations it would be quite a challenge. I’m going to experiment with using Danish Oil and seeing if the color differences are as great when the wood is treated. Thanks for the suggestion.

B
I could do that but then I’d have to try to cut out all the parts on one board on my jigsaw and try to get exact matches. For some parts that would be easy but for the keel with all the indentations it would be quite a challenge. I’m going to experiment with using Danish Oil and seeing if the color differences are as great when the wood is treated. Thanks for the suggestion.
Before using oil, can't you try to use some cherry stain to bring up the color? After oiling you can t do this anymore.

B
Before using oil, can't you try to use some cherry stain to bring up the color? After oiling you can t do this anymore.
I tried experimenting with natural, cherry and Walnut versions of Danish Oil and couldn’t get the wood anywhere close to matching. Also found other boards with much different shades.

Given the amount of wood, having an exact match is almost impossible. Most of the deadwood is hidden anyway. Whist I understand the completeness of having wood all the same, it may be impossible as wood can naturally vary siginficantly over its length and we are not paying an exorbitant price for the kit. Given most of it appears to have been cut with 1/32nd or 1/16th cnc bits, it would have taken an inordinate amount of hours to cut as is. Colour matching raw timber would add a major overhead. If this was a $1000+ kit I'd expect a little more, but for $350 cut & prepared the quality of the wood grain & finish wise is exceptional.

As you may recall, there was a substantial difference in color between the parts for the keel assembly. Trident agreed it was a problem and was going to send me replacement boards for those assemblies.

After waiting more than two months for them to arrive, and after completing most of the frames in the meantime, I decided I couldn’t wait any longer and went ahead with the keel assembly, You’ll see from the photos that there is a difference in the parts of the keel. The difference may or may not be greater when the wood is oiled and finished. But, I can live with it. There will be enough to look at on the completed model that the keel will not be noticed By anyone but me.

It actually may have turned out to be a good thing since it allowed me to have the advantage to see other SOS builders (Jimsky, Jolly Roger, etc.) do their logs which have been extremely helpful. I didn’t think I needed much help on the frames, but the keel assembly had me stumped in a few areas and the instructions were confusing. Thanks, guys.

So now I’ll start fitting the frames. Hope I put them together correctly.

6015E151-1977-4ECE-8E55-62F75DC242A2.jpeg973E2001-F571-4D80-9EA3-BF7A1C3FD6CF.jpeg344CA0C7-A7B1-44DE-804A-B8EEA4448CBF.jpeg601D0FCD-DD13-4B9E-BA61-CD3546713779.jpeg6015E151-1977-4ECE-8E55-62F75DC242A2.jpeg973E2001-F571-4D80-9EA3-BF7A1C3FD6CF.jpeg344CA0C7-A7B1-44DE-804A-B8EEA4448CBF.jpeg601D0FCD-DD13-4B9E-BA61-CD3546713779.jpeg

Welcome back to the log, Submarinerblue. We are all happy that our logs become helpful. That's the idea behind the group build!
The keel assembly looks very good, and the timber color difference is not a big issue. The stern deadwood will be mostly hidden behind the Stern rising wood and cant frames. Stem rising wood will be covered by frames. The only left is Stem, but I really like the timber difference, honestly!

Now time to catch up...but please don't rush... ;)

I thought the quality of the timber should be something better than this, a pity that Trident has not given you the compensation you were promised, your work looks very good, good luck, I'm watching with excitement.

I thought the quality of the timber should be something better than this, a pity that Trident has not given you the compensation you were promised, your work looks very good, good luck, I'm watching with excitement.
Hello, my friend. I think we should give a Trident some credits. This is a relatively new studio (a few years old), they are just learning all business rules). They have difficult times now with the fulfillment of all orders for the SOS members. On top of this, they move the studio to a larger location so they can work much efficiently. Also, they trying to establish a website so SOS members can purchase kits much faster. Don't forget, the kit is not sold to anyone else except the SOS members.
I am sure, in the future, Trident will pick up all the quality standards. BTW, the timber in the kit a really good quality. IMHO :cool:

I have placed the keel in the jig and it was a REALLY tight fit. Has anyone else had difficulty getting the keel in place? i was surprised since the keel parts are precisely cut and they only fit together one way. Perhaps I did not put the jig together as accurately as I should have or the cardboard (MDF ?) material does not allow for the same stability as plywood?

I had to enlarge a few of the slots in the jig and at least one small piece of the jig broke off. I found that if a piece of the soft jig material does break it is very difficult to glue back together. You need to reinforce the break with wood or it will never hold.

As for Trident replacing the mismatched boards, they still may eventually arrive, but I chose not to wait.

I’m probably not going to continue my log for a while since at this point I’m following those of other members whose guidance I need to supplement the less than thorough instructions.

Further down the line (much further) when I start to remove selected frames on one side to show the interior I will resume. I will probably remove some single frames and keep the double frames to ensure stability and strength.

8091A531-9CED-4898-B1DC-71773D8E7908.jpeg99D497BD-BCAA-4943-BE41-1CE430105F15.jpeg195AE850-70EA-49D9-AF74-9866A1074431.jpegD596E83F-51B0-40E1-8515-E84D610417EA.jpegED9B1CF9-B71E-4672-AAA8-E765ADB027C3.jpeg

Back