Hms Alert 1777- Trident Model 1:48 by Submarinerblue

I have placed the keel in the jig and it was a REALLY tight fit. Has anyone else had difficulty getting the keel in place? i was surprised since the keel parts are precisely cut and they only fit together one way. Perhaps I did not put the jig together as accurately as I should have or the cardboard (MDF ?) material does not allow for the same stability as plywood?

I had to enlarge a few of the slots in the jig and at least one small piece of the jig broke off. I found that if a piece of the soft jig material does break it is very difficult to glue back together. You need to reinforce the break with wood or it will never hold.
You are correct, and the keel should go tight in the berth. Remember, the keel is the most important element of the ship. It has to stay 90 degrees against the bottom of the berth, firm, and stable without any movements when you will glue the frames. Looking close to your photos, I see the laser char on the keel parts. It is suggested to use a 'plastic wrap' to avoid those marks, also I suggest lightly remove the char from all of the berth parts, specifically for the notches of frames holders (top and middle supports). Frankly, the top notches must be enlarged to accept 4.00 ~ 4.1mm frame width. *NOTE! do not make them too wide, they will be served as a clamp when gluing the frames to the keel. ;)
The part was accidentally broke, very important for the Transom parts assembly. Don't lose it.

Good to know it wasn’t just me.

I put that transom part back together and glued it back in place, reinforced with strips of wood and plywood in the back of it. And fixed with cyano glue. It‘s there to stay.

When the time comes it won’t be easy getting the model out of the jig. But, by then the jig will be expendable.

Attachments

• B370ECC4-D944-463F-941F-E25B2F478C79.jpeg
    B370ECC4-D944-463F-941F-E25B2F478C79.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 23
Hi Submarinerblue, Been reading your entries over at Paulv's log.
Mate, you are not alone in your frustrations .
As I said in my log get into "scratch build mode"...refer to anything relevant that you can get your hands on, consult the large plan sheet provided with the kit and almost ( but not entirely)disregard the printed word in the manual..
I found that with the illustrations ,plans and photos of other builds(not necessarily of this vessel)things fall into place without the confusion of the wording in the manual.
I do like the concept of an open frame on one side...It eliminates the ribs issue but gives a result that will be different from a lot of other builds.
Anyway keep at it! :) Anchor

Hello, @Submarinerblue We are hoping you didn't give up on your Alert, and continue to build her. All do, we would love to see the progress. If you need our help, we are here to help... :)

Thanks for checking on me, Jim.

Actually, my wife questioned why I was working on a project that was bringing me no joy or satisfaction, only aggravation and frustration. She couldn’t help but notice the frequent outbursts of yelling and cursing from the basement. I realized she was right. I have worked on and successfully completed other POF models before, but I realized I didn’t like many things about this kit and I was not having any fun. So, I put it aside. I doubt I’ll ever go back to it.

I’m currently building the Shipyard HMS Wolfe, and I am having fun despite dealing with innumerable tiny parts. I will go back to another wooden kit when I am finished.

I am interested in the CAF Granado, but I would like to see the kit for the entire ship before I commit. I’m sure I’ll need members’ help with that one.

Every so often (but rarely) I get part way through a ship or other project and decide I either don’t like the look of it or I’ve lost interest. That’s just part of the hobby.

Stay well.

I for one would like to encourage you to give it one more try after a small break.
Why work on something that causes a lot of head ache, struggle, swearing and cursing? To qoute Bill Eckstrom : "Only in a state of discomfort can you grow.”
It's a fact that the harder something is to accomplish the greater we feel when we finally achieve it. It's kinda like climbing a mountain, you'll freeze your butt off and you'll face what seems too be invincible obstacles. For sure there will be setbacks along the way but when you finally achieve success, you will feel really great due to your hard work and the fact that you didn't quit. "If you can get through the dip, if you can keep going when the system is expecting you to stop, you will achieve extraordinary results.”, Seth Godin.

I was the same with the Alert, it does have the ability to challenge.( a Lot). I'm persevering so that I can get it finished.
Its a bit like a jaw dropping woman , 'stunning at a distance' but 'High Maintenance' ( Sorry If I offended anyone!, old man syndrome and I don't do PC)
It does push the wrong buttons sometimes, but as I am now nearing the end, its growing on me.( like fungus! -- just joking.)

I have built almost exactly as provided, so when its done, you will see how it would look as provided.

Take a break and do a little at a time. I will be finished soon as as I'm a hack at this, you can what it look like from a layman's approach.

Back