HMS Beagle by Occre - My First Build [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you guys...I appreciate it. I have a rather dumb question. On this OcCre model, I noticed many of the blocks had holes that were very tiny and not well formed....now I'm thinking I should have drilled them out a bit. Will I have problems down the road? Is this a common thing or a rookie mistake? I'm not sure how many of the blocks I will have to pass thread through, but I'm now realizing I should have thought ahead.......

OK, here is my question. When creating the rope ladder, the Occre videos showed 2 methods:

1)Figure 8 knots.
2)Gluing them on

Watch this video.

At first you see the figure 8 knots which I did on the majority of the ship. Takes forever, I got better as I went, but some were loose and sagged a little.

At 1:25 in the video, you see the guy glue them on. I did one section like this. Fast, straight, lines tight. Made me wonder, why not do all this way? Is this shunned for some reason? Is it not for the purists? Honestly, from a scale perspective, would you even see knots at this scale?

What are the thoughts on doing the 2nd method. Honestly, I did not see the 2nd method until after I had done 90% of my ship. I spend days tying the figure 8's because I could only do a few at a time and had to walk away. Method 2 would have saved me days.....

Good morning. The ratlines form a huge part of the ship and they do take a long time. The simplest way, avoiding glue, is to use clove hitch knots at each shroud. The clove hitch pulls up nice and tight, just don’t make the ratline too tight or you loose the shape of the shrouds. I know some guys glue each knot, but it does detract when viewed closeup. PS I would personally not glue the ratlines on. Your ships looks real good BTW. Cheers Grant

Good morning. The ratlines form a huge part of the ship and they do take a long time. The simplest way, avoiding glue, is to use clove hitch knots at each shroud. The clove hitch pulls up nice and tight, just don’t make the ratline too tight or you loose the shape of the shrouds. I know some guys glue each knot, but it does detract when viewed closeup. PS I would personally not glue the ratlines on. Your ships looks real good BTW. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant, tying clove hitch knots is very, very time consuming for me....particularly on this mode because the shrouds are very close together in some sections....looking back, I don't think I could have done anything different, I just think that is the way they are....anyways, I did glue the last upper section and I felt like I was cheating...but they do look good.

My first build was the OcCre Albatros. So glad I chose OcCre for my first build. Customer service is great and there are lots of videos out there to help. Same as you, my Albatros was a great learning experience. Planking, glueing, bending, nails or no nails, definitely cut my teeth on that ship. After following these forums and learning from all the experienced builders here I can look back on Albatros and see all the things I learned on (i.e. mistakes I made). A pretty rough build but learned so much. And loved buying tools along the way! Good luck with your Beagle.
My first build was also the Albatross by OcCre, with my current build the Endurance as well. I see a trend.

Well guys, I'm calling it complete. Although it has many errors and many things that I could do over and better, I am going to call it complete. A couple of things like the anchors and lifeboats I will probably redo at some point and time, but I am anxious to move on to my next project (HMS Montanes). A part of me likes leaving it as is so that I can see my progress as a builder as I gain experience. The Beagle will always have a special place as my first build. I am extremely proud of her and very, very happy to be able to say I have completed my first build. I will add a follow up message on the things I learned and my goals for my next build. Thank you guys for all your help and encouragement.

Here are final pics and pics of the ship medallion I engraved to be mounted with ship.

IMG_7217.JPGIMG_7216.JPGIMG_7211.JPGIMG_7213.JPGIMG_7208.JPGIMG_7207.JPGIMG_7209.JPGIMG_7214.JPGIMG_7212.JPGIMG_7206.JPGIMG_7215.JPGIMG_7222.JPGIMG_7223.JPGIMG_7221.JPGIMG_7224.JPG

IMG_7210.JPG

Well done!
Would it be possible to photograph her with a neutral background for the completed models gallery. No pressure. Just a thought. You work deserves a place of pride. Okay

Well done!
Would it be possible to photograph her with a neutral background for the completed models gallery. No pressure. Just a thought. You work deserves a place of pride. Okay
Sure, I did not think of that....I need to review others photos and get a sense of how to take good model photos....totally lost when it comes to taking photos. I will research the requirements for posting in the gallery and make an attempt.

Click on "Forums" there is a selection to discuss photographing model ships. Also, Donnie is the go-to administrator for this subject. I am sure he will provide the kind of suggestions you need.

It looks awesome! I thought the same thing after I finished my first build, the OcCre Albatros. I was going to redo the lifeboats. But I quickly moved on and left them as is. And you have a good perspective about it. It's your first and you can always look back and poke fun at yourself when you're creating your next masterpiece ;)

It looks awesome! I thought the same thing after I finished my first build, the OcCre Albatros. I was going to redo the lifeboats. But I quickly moved on and left them as is. And you have a good perspective about it. It's your first and you can always look back and poke fun at yourself when you're creating your next masterpiece ;)
Very well done! Albatross was my first as well.

Beautiful!!!
I wish u were able to get some images w a plain background so it can be on the gallery.

Back