HMS Endeavour found - or not?

HoHo !!!

STATEMENT FROM EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - D.K. ABBASS PhD:

February 2, 2022

The Australian National Maritime Museum (ANMM) report that the Endeavour has been identified is premature. The Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project (RIMAP) is now and always has been the lead organization for the study in Newport harbor. The ANMM announcement today is a breach of the contract between RIMAP and the ANMM for the conduct of this research and how its results are to be shared with the public. What we see on the shipwreck site under study is consistent with what might be expected of the Endeavour, but there has been no indisputable data found to prove the site is that iconic vessel, and there are many unanswered questions that could overturn such an identification. When the study is done, RIMAP will post the legitimate report on its website at: www.rimap.org. Meanwhile, RIMAP recognizes the connection between Australian citizens of British descent and the Endeavour, but RIMAP's conclusions will be driven by proper scientific process and not Australian emotions or politics.

HoHo !!!

February 2, 2022

The Australian National Maritime Museum (ANMM) report that the Endeavour has been identified is premature. The Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project (RIMAP) is now and always has been the lead organization for the study in Newport harbor. The ANMM announcement today is a breach of the contract between RIMAP and the ANMM for the conduct of this research and how its results are to be shared with the public. What we see on the shipwreck site under study is consistent with what might be expected of the Endeavour, but there has been no indisputable data found to prove the site is that iconic vessel, and there are many unanswered questions that could overturn such an identification. When the study is done, RIMAP will post the legitimate report on its website at: www.rimap.org. Meanwhile, RIMAP recognizes the connection between Australian citizens of British descent and the Endeavour, but RIMAP's conclusions will be driven by proper scientific process and not Australian emotions or politics.

Sounds like a bit of "one upmanship", which is a shame for such an important possible historical find. I sincerely hope it is the Endeavour despite the conflicting statements.

I hadn't even seen the report. I agree that it seems daft to be wrangling over 'how discoveries should be made public'. I guess we'll find out in the fulness of time.
I’m not sure if there is an official report yet. While we wait though, some might find this site interesting containing some great photos, video etc of the Endeavour.

RogerD . Thanks for that link. I've watched the video and I can't see anything strikingly wrong with their methodology. Plus they are awaiting peer reviews of their findings. I'd like to think it is Endeavour or 'Lord Sandwich' as the ship was renamed. Seems an odd name for a ship, unless you know that The earl Of Sandwich is a title for a peer of the British realm. This news has me thinking of building a model of Endeavour.

RogerD . Thanks for that link. I've watched the video and I can't see anything strikingly wrong with their methodology. Plus they are awaiting peer reviews of their findings. I'd like to think it is Endeavour or 'Lord Sandwich' as the ship was renamed. Seems an odd name for a ship, unless you know that The earl Of Sandwich is a title for a peer of the British realm. This news has me thinking of building a model of Endeavour.
I have the Caldercraft version tucked away, purchased a couple or three months ago. It’s tempting to start it but I have too many other commitments at the moment.

The CC version is great. It was my second kit build. The Bluff Bow is a real test of planking.

I think the Hoo har is "I wanted to say it first and now I'm angry so I'll toot my horn!

Mind you the wreck find is not much of the actual ship considering it was deliberately sunk by the British as part of the independence.

Lord Sandwich was First Lord of the Admiralty 1771-1782 so not an odd name for a ship which had been part of the Royal Navy. Of note is that the Lord Sandwich used to enjoy a slice of beef between two large pieces of bread which gave his name to the sandwich.

Yes indeed, Lord Sandwich didn’t like leaving the card table for a full meal, hence his predilection for a quick sandwich. Now if Lord Cardigan who led the Light Brigade and invented that apparel in the Crimea had been First Lord of the Admiralty, and Lord Sandwich led the cavalry in the Crimean War, we would be wearing a sandwich and eating a cardigan, me thinks.

HoHo !!!

February 2, 2022

Hi, The Endeavour is extremely important to the people of New Zealand despite the attempts by Maori to belittle the importance of James Cook. If it were not for him we would still be eating each other!

Doug Hey NZ

Initially she had been ferrying troops to take part in the American Revolution as well as supplies. When. French squadron threatened the bay the British scuttled her and other ships to form a blockade as a defence. F

There are reports the Endeavour has been found off Rhode Island. However, there seems to be some conflict in reporting:

Not one of our leading News sources down here!! One is tempted to link it with B*ll Sh*t. :p

Unfortunate that there is controversy over the archaeology when it has been painstaking over such a long period. It is a fact that the Endeavour was scuttled in that area and that it was the largest ship in the group which were scuttled. The Aust. Maritime Museum would do well to let the archaeologists release their official findings before trying to steal some lime light. The bark is an important historical vessel to many countries and the science should be allowed to take its course.

Lord Sandwich was First Lord of the Admiralty 1771-1782 so not an odd name for a ship which had been part of the Royal Navy. Of note is that the Lord Sandwich used to enjoy a slice of beef between two large pieces of bread which gave his name to the sandwich.

Go for it, the Endeavour is a complex model but even a first timer like me (ancient retiree) seems to be coping. Spent 600 hours so far, cursing and screaming often,
but can see the vessel emerging slowly. What a joy to have this forum!!!!!!!!!!! Denis from South Australia.

I was in the Staithes Museum on Saturday and was surprised to find that Cook actually witnessed a human sacrifice!

Back