HMS Endeavour found - or not?

I don't know what the dispute between the American and Australian archaeology teams is about, but it that leads to damage to the ship or the hiding of its artifacts from the public, I'm going to be very disappointed. This is one of the most historic ships. Unfortunately it appears there is not much of the ship left except the bottom.

The issue her is that there are a number of countries involved in this archeological project (US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand etc) who all have a claim to ENDEAVOUR being a highly important artefact for that country. I think the Australian National Maritime Museum may have jumped the gun a little with the announcement but Dr Abbass has her nose out of joint because the announcement has been made and the ANMM has stolen her thunder.

Ahh.. That happens when academics get their feathers ruffled. The wreck has been there for a long time. Lots of other wrecks to get excited about. There only circumstantial evidence that the ship is Endeavour anyway. More digging is needed. I wonder if there in anything left of the ship that could affect the details of models.

Spoiler alert: Christoforo Colombo didn't discover America. Sorry Chris!

It’s interesting to note that they expect/expected to find very few identifiable Endeavour artifacts (like the bell) at the wreck site. The researchers believe, since the vessel was deliberately sunk, that all the important and salvable objects would have been removed before the sinking.

Back