HMS GRANADO 1:48 scale PoF CAF Model by Keith

Hi Grant. Thank you very much. I would gladly take the credit but the inner planking is supplied all preshaped and only a small amount of adjustment is necessary to get the correct fit. So although a little tricky it's not beyond most people's ability.
Ahhh…that gives me some encouragement to attempt a POF for my next ship. I guess it is also kit dependant. Nonetheless, It must still be difficult to plank with that angle to get it all neat as you have done. Lovely work. Cheers Grant

Ahhh…that gives me some encouragement to attempt a POF for my next ship. I guess it is also kit dependant. Nonetheless, It must still be difficult to plank with that angle to get it all neat as you have done. Lovely work. Cheers Grant
I do hope you decide to give it a go Grant. I'm sure you'll manage admirably :D

Also my congratulations for reaching this working step - you are on a very good way my friend
Thank you very much Uwe. Your fantastic build log of this kit has been and still is giving me some really good tips and advice on how to proceed. I don't think I could do it so easily without you

Hi Friends. Thank you for your interest in this build log and for your comments and likes. They are very much appreciated. I am continuing work on the inner hull planking, and must say it is getting more difficult as each level is complete. The lines for the treenails for these planks still need to be marked, which must be done before l go any further. I think there's another 4 or 5 rows left to be done after completing this last one.

DSC08037.JPG

DSC08040.JPG

DSC08041.JPG

DSC08042.JPG

DSC08045.JPG

DSC08049.JPG

DSC08050.JPG

DSC08051.JPG

With the nailing or treenailing of the inner planking - take a look at this photo so you can get a good impression where it makes sense, and where definitely not, because they will be covered by the interior
IMG_4392.jpg
but everything depends on the way you want to present the ship - on mine off course they are more visible because I made the cut - without cut the nailing of the internal planking will be hardly visible

With the nailing or treenailing of the inner planking - take a look at this photo so you can get a good impression where it makes sense, and where definitely not, because they will be covered by the interior
View attachment 443305
but everything depends on the way you want to present the ship - on mine off course they are more visible because I made the cut - without cut the nailing of the internal planking will be hardly visible
Thanks for the photo. Your work is fantastic and l can see how much treenailing detail to include as l shall not be cutting the hull. l think only the hold section will be anywhere near visible, so only that part will be necessary

The building cradle, dock, jig or whatever you want to call it is now constructed and l must say, it all went together very well. All the laser cut 4 mm plywood components fitted perfectly and you end up with a very rigid construction in which to build the hull. Well done CAF Models on this excellent (l think from now on l'll refer to it as a cradle). The keel fits into it nice and tightly as it should, so it looks like the way is clear now to build the rest of the hull which is part 1 of this 3 part project.

View attachment 421392
This may be a really stupid question, but did you glue the cradle together, or just assemble it without glue? Just got my kit today, and starting to think about all of this.

This may be a really stupid question, but did you glue the cradle together, or just assemble it without glue? Just got my kit today, and starting to think about all of this.
Not a stupid question at all. I have glued all joints of the cradle. I'm not sure if the instructions tell you to but l'm pretty sure this is the thing to do

There are never stupid questions
I glued the cradle together, yes - but very late - especial the center part had to wait - so you have much better access to some parts, or the stern structure is partly better to be made outside of the cradle
The cradle is very riggid and stabile without glue .....

Back