Kit review HMS GRANADO (1742) - POF in scale 1:48 by CAF model

Looking at the CAF-Model homepage, it looks as if part 3 is now available (however, only one in stock).
Tom told me short time ago, that he is working on the content of Part III, so in short time he can send these kits to customers.

In the meantime I received from Tom my Part III of the CAF HMS Granado kit.
Many Thanks to Tom from @CAFmodel

IMG_0600.jpg

During last weekend I was able to check the content and make some photos,
so you can get also a good impression about the quality of the diverse parts and the complete content

First important to mention is the fact, that CAF is packing their kits very safe and fully waterteight wrapped, so a safe and dry transport from China to the customer is assured. The kit by itself is packed in a strong cartonage box, in the same size like Parts I and II.

IMG_0601.jpg

The box was relatively heavy, so after opening we can see why - the box is filled completely with parts

IMG_0602.jpg

Here you can see the complete content. The wooden parts are once more wrapped with a plastic, a second protection against moisture

IMG_0603.jpg

The next overview of all woodern parts (except the wooden strips) - we can see laser cut plywood for templates and the stand, wooden laser cut sheets and also cnc cut elements

IMG_0604.jpg

I was not aware, that there is still so much wood necessary, after knowing already Parts I and II in detail - I was surprised when I saw the first time these sheets

IMG_0605.jpg

The sheets are numbered according the thickness of the sheets, so the sheets starting with 1 are 1mm thick, starting with 2 are 2mm and so on

1mm thick sheets 1A - 1H
IMG_0606.jpg

1I - 1P - looks like the outer planking
IMG_0607.jpg

1Q - 1Y
IMG_0608.jpg

and 1Z
IMG_0609.jpg

I never had a kit before, where the complete roman alphabet was used for numbering - WOW

The sheets with 2mm thickness
IMG_0610.jpg

a close up photos - very accurate and exact laser cutting - and very good quality of the wood with fine grain

IMG_0611.jpg

3mm thickness
IMG_0612.jpg

4mm thick laser and cnc sheets - f.e. the carlings are cut from two sides
IMG_0614.jpg

5, 6 or even 9mm thick wooden sheets - and some short rods

IMG_0615.jpg

also included are the 1mm thick laser cut prepared deck planking - for the complete deck (left and right side mirrored) - One tip directly mix left and right side planks you you will not reciognize the grain any more - I did it on my Coureur and very good results

IMG_0616.jpg

and finaly two plywood sheets for templates and a model stand

IMG_0617.jpg

to be continued in the following post .....

Kit Review of part III of the HMS Granado kit from CAF

The kit contens also several packs of wooden strips of different dimensions and wood types

IMG_0618.jpg

high quality wood and accurate cut -here I can state, that this is realy the usual quality what we can expect from CAF - Bravo

IMG_0619.jpg

Included are a lot of small bags with all the different fittings and detail elements, f.e. the oranemnts and carvings, rails etc. - first overview is very promising

IMG_0620.jpg

These are the wooden elements, with f.e. ships bell , ornaments, the figurehead, windows and rails

IMG_0621.jpg

I did not want to remove the parts from their small bags, but I think we can see enough of the parts to recognize the different quality

Here some windows - only some smaller wood dust from cnc cutting is picking at the parts, which is easy to remove - very good quality in my opinion

IMG_0622.jpg

some more bags with wooden elements, like rails, steps and the windlass

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

after cleaning from dust the steps will look very good

IMG_0626.jpg

such elements like the windlass are not easy to cut with a cnc - after sanding down the small exaggeration it will look great - very good

IMG_0627.jpg

some rope material, blocks etc.

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

Very important for the appearance is the quality of the armor and other metal elements

IMG_0631.jpg

Included are two different mortar muzzles - very good detail

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

looking very good

IMG_0634.jpg

The photo etched sheets have also good quality

IMG_0635.jpg

hinches and all parts for the gun carriages

IMG_0636.jpg

and the nice paintings

IMG_0637.jpg

to be continued .....

and finaly some impressions of the Paperworks

Included is a CAF-typical manual showing the main working steps with the help of sketches and also a parts list

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

and attached is also the final drawing showing the model in real scale in 1:48 showing the model in final appearance

IMG_0646.jpg

A highly interesting ship interpreted by a first class kit - all together (having now all three parts of the kit in posession -> highly recommended

Included is a CAF-typical manual showing the main working steps with the help of sketches and also a parts list

View attachment 329479

View attachment 329480

View attachment 329481

View attachment 329482

View attachment 329483

View attachment 329484

View attachment 329485

View attachment 329486

and attached is also the final drawing showing the model in real scale in 1:48 showing the model in final appearance

View attachment 329487

A highly interesting ship interpreted by a first class kit - all together (having now all three parts of the kit in posession -> highly recommended
Excellent review, as always!
Nice little tip about swapping over the two sides of the planking - thankyou!

Ted

Last edited:
Hi Uwe,

Looking at this it is again tempting to go for another kit. Very very nice indeed.

View attachment 329479

View attachment 329480

View attachment 329481

View attachment 329482

View attachment 329483

View attachment 329484

View attachment 329485

View attachment 329486

View attachment 329487

Great review Uwe,

Cheers,
Stephen.

In the meantime I received from Tom my Part III of the CAF HMS Granado kit.
Many Thanks to Tom from @CAFmodel

View attachment 329434

During last weekend I was able to check the content and make some photos,
so you can get also a good impression about the quality of the diverse parts and the complete content

First important to mention is the fact, that CAF is packing their kits very safe and fully waterteight wrapped, so a safe and dry transport from China to the customer is assured. The kit by itself is packed in a strong cartonage box, in the same size like Parts I and II.

View attachment 329435

The box was relatively heavy, so after opening we can see why - the box is filled completely with parts

View attachment 329436

Here you can see the complete content. The wooden parts are once more wrapped with a plastic, a second protection against moisture

View attachment 329437

The next overview of all woodern parts (except the wooden strips) - we can see laser cut plywood for templates and the stand, wooden laser cut sheets and also cnc cut elements

View attachment 329438

I was not aware, that there is still so much wood necessary, after knowing already Parts I and II in detail - I was surprised when I saw the first time these sheets

View attachment 329439

The sheets are numbered according the thickness of the sheets, so the sheets starting with 1 are 1mm thick, starting with 2 are 2mm and so on

1mm thick sheets 1A - 1H
View attachment 329440

1I - 1P - looks like the outer planking
View attachment 329441

1Q - 1Y
View attachment 329442

and 1Z
View attachment 329443

I never had a kit before, where the complete roman alphabet was used for numbering - WOW

The sheets with 2mm thickness
View attachment 329444

a close up photos - very accurate and exact laser cutting - and very good quality of the wood with fine grain

View attachment 329445

3mm thickness
View attachment 329446

4mm thick laser and cnc sheets - f.e. the carlings are cut from two sides
View attachment 329447

5, 6 or even 9mm thick wooden sheets - and some short rods

View attachment 329448

also included are the 1mm thick laser cut prepared deck planking - for the complete deck (left and right side mirrored) - One tip directly mix left and right side planks you you will not reciognize the grain any more - I did it on my Coureur and very good results

View attachment 329449

and finaly two plywood sheets for templates and a model stand

View attachment 329450

to be continued in the following post .....
Thank you very much for this great review. I have all three sessions but have not unpacked the boxes as l'm waiting to complete my present build and don't want to risk loss or damage. Looking through your photos and descriptions of the multitude of parts that await me, I now can't wait to start on this venture. It looks superb. l just hope l will do it justice. l have already decided not to make t a split model but will add it to my trio of HMS Blandford, HMS Alert and now HMS Granado

Back