LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

Once more many many thanks for your feedback and your likes - highly appreciated

After fixing of the cargo it was possible also to finally install the beams at this area

In the first photos still dry fitted
IMG-6233.jpg

here also the top view of the situation
IMG-6234.jpg

- Important here is the correct location and angle of the mast partners of the main mast - I checked the angle with an approximate comparison with the drawing - the final angle has to be finetuned and adjusted later on with installing the wooden wedges and fixing of the main mast.....

IMG-6241.jpg

Now the beams are fixed and also the boards on top of the ballast box are finally fixed
I arranged the boards in such a way, that all boards theoretically necessary for complete coverage of the box are visible - something like, that one seaman has to check the ballast room and removed two of the long boards and on one side the short boards on the left side of the mast foot box.
With this arrangement, the stone ballast is visible and there is enough free space for the anchor cables later on

IMG-6244.jpg

Here for additional explanation, what I mean are two images from the CAF model showing the cables
37.jpg 44 (1).jpg

IMG-6245.jpg

IMG-6246.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .....

Once more many many thanks for your feedback and your likes - highly appreciated

After fixing of the cargo it was possible also to finally install the beams at this area

In the first photos still dry fitted
View attachment 234238

here also the top view of the situation
View attachment 234239

- Important here is the correct location and angle of the mast partners of the main mast - I checked the angle with an approximate comparison with the drawing - the final angle has to be finetuned and adjusted later on with installing the wooden wedges and fixing of the main mast.....

View attachment 234240

Now the beams are fixed and also the boards on top of the ballast box are finally fixed
I arranged the boards in such a way, that all boards theoretically necessary for complete coverage of the box are visible - something like, that one seaman has to check the ballast room and removed two of the long boards and on one side the short boards on the left side of the mast foot box.
With this arrangement, the stone ballast is visible and there is enough free space for the anchor cables later on

View attachment 234241

Here for additional explanation, what I mean are two images from the CAF model showing the cables
View attachment 234244 View attachment 234245

View attachment 234242

View attachment 234243

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .....
Looks fantastic Uwek!

Many Thanks to all for the positive feedback received, also via the likes

Hope not to get boring, but as mentioned in the beginning, I show more photos as usual in a building log, so my work could be used a help for the "to do or not to do" like Uwe .......

the beams and carlings over the cargo room are now also finished, so before I start to cover the interior with the deck planking I want to show you the status.
In moment I started to think about the planking, where I will lay planks and on which area the deck will stay open for a view of the interior, how to make the waterway etc. .... I will share my thoughts and the final decision in some days

But now a final summary photo documentation of the status with most of beams and carlings finished - Remark: the last beam and carlings close to stern have to be still made, but here I have to cut the hole for the rudder first - one of the tasks during coming weekend

IMG-6250.jpg

IMG-6249.jpg

IMG-6248.jpg

IMG-6247.jpg

IMG-6251.jpg

IMG-6252.jpg

IMG-6253.jpg

IMG-6254.jpg

IMG-6255.jpg

To show what is visible through the framing
IMG-6259.jpg

IMG-6256.jpg

IMG-6257.jpg

and here the beams and carlings with view from the other side

IMG-6261.jpg

IMG-6262.jpg

IMG-6263.jpg

IMG-6264.jpg

IMG-6266.jpg

IMG-6267.jpg

IMG-6265.jpg

IMG-6269.jpg

but now - really enough of these photos .......

Hope to show next post more interesting things building this great kit

Hi Uwe, wonderful work again.
The axe you can make yourselve from some copper or lead sheet or even wood with aluminium tape or rust paint.

In the galley onboard of Alert coal was used as there is a coal storage on the drawings. Where the French using fire wood for their furnace?

Hi Uwe, wonderful work again.
The axe you can make yourselve from some copper or lead sheet or even wood with aluminium tape or rust paint.

In the galley onboard of Alert coal was used as there is a coal storage on the drawings. Where the French using fire wood for their furnace?
Good idea with the "making of" an axe - I will try something - although it will be hard to see at the end (but I (and you) will know, that the axe is there.......

I never realized in the french monographies, that they had a coal storage - maybe only for "hot shots" - therefore my thoughts were only going towards firewood, which was usually (and this is sometimes shown in the french monos) stored in the hold between the water and wine barrels.......

Lovely work, just a thought thinking ahead, would it work trying to do them same as Maarten has done on his Alert and split hull (don't know technical name for it) when I get round to starting le courier. So you can see the detail inside? Regards

Terrific stuff. Now the sad part comes when you have to cover half of it.
Oh ja - the sad part started already with planing how to plank the deck - which areas will stay open or planks which will be not installed, so you can see something of the interior ......

so here is the small sketch in the manual, which is describing the necessary work

IMG-6278.jpg

One small sketch with a lot of work behind

OK, let us take a look at the deck planking material which is included in the kit

IMG-6273.jpg

These are the laser cutt planks, so no strips, but laser cut
The five wider planks at the outside are the waterways, but we will come back to this detail in a later stage of the build
IMG-6277.jpg

when we take a closer look at the planking, we will recognize that the anual rings of the tree are partly visible, running over nearby planks. It is from the production more or less impossible that this is not happening, so no mistake by CAF - it is the natur of wood
IMG-6275.jpg

Due to the fact, that this will be visible also later on, we have to do something against the visibility.

On this photo, you can see the endings of the two planking "sets" (without the center plank) - so you can see, that both sides, means starboard and larboard planking is exactly mirrored - therefore it will be easily possible to mix the planking viseversa, so you will not recognize the graining and annual rings any more (or much harder) - this I will show also later on, how it will look like after final treatment
IMG-6276.jpg

Here a first photo (dry fitted) of the "mixed" planking, still with the laser marks, so you can see the difference betwenn the single planks

IMG-6331.jpg

Here you can see, that the planks are fitting extremely well - so a mixing of every second plank is adviced
IMG-6333.jpg

Many Thanks for the interest .... to be continued .....

Lovely work, just a thought thinking ahead, would it work trying to do them same as Maarten has done on his Alert and split hull (don't know technical name for it) when I get round to starting le courier. So you can see the detail inside? Regards
It is very good idea, although I think, that it will be slightly more complicated with the Coureur than with the Alert.

Usually the horizontal cut in such models (f.e. also the Granado bomb vessel or the Salamandre (both shown here in SOS already)) are cut directly under the wales and following the wales - also @Maarten made it in this way

Alert with marked line of the wales - you can see, that the level of the deck beams are only a little bit higher, than the cut
j7946.jpg

Le Coureur: Here you can see the marked line for the lower edge of the wales - but you will cut here also the interior of captains room etc in half
monographie-du-fleuron-vaisseau-de-64-canons-1729.jpg

but due to the fact, that the Coureur has a step of the floors we should make a cut which is jumping in height this 2 centimeter

j0873.jpg

I guess it is possible to make any horizontal cut, but there are detailed plannings and preparation necessary to solve problems like at the stern etc.

Also which we should keep in mind, is the different construction methods of the kits refering of the hull construction - because when you cut, you have to stabilize the frames etc. over the cutting line .......

But it is an interesting idea ......

.... I am waiting herefore for the Granado kit from CAF - the complete vessel and will try to get a result like the model in the NMM

l5780_001.jpg l5780_002.jpg

l5780_003.jpg l5780_004.jpg

Granado_bomb_vessel_model.jpg l5780_003a.jpg

but you can see, that this model is concentrating on the structure of the vessel, without any planking etc.

The waterways of the Le Coureur - how to make it?

First of all we should take a look at the way the kit is proposing the waterways

IMG-6278.jpg

In these planking provided with the kit, also the five "waterway planks" are included, see the marked parts in the folklowing photo

IMG-6277a.jpg

On top of these planking the modeler should install a triangel shaped waterway timber

IMG-6305.jpg

IMG-6307.jpg

If you can make it accurate, it will look by 99% like the correct way, described in the following

This is a way, kits often (maybe all) describe the making of the waterways, nevertheless it is technically incorrect, due to the fact that the waterway was not sitting on the planks, but directly on top of the deck beams and the planking was affiliated on the side, like shown in these cross sections from the Boudriot monograph

IMG-6281.jpg IMG-6282.jpg

IMG-6286.jpg IMG-6280.jpg

Here for comparison we can see the way of the kit and at the lowest position a "real" waterway made scratch out of a 4mm thick piece of pear.
Over the "real" one you can see the waterway plank of the kit (like in the second photo of this post), above the 2,5 * 2,5 mm strip and once more above clamped together -> you can see here the difference in the width with the "real" waterway, which will produce another problem, which has to be solved

waterway.jpg

Here you can see best the cross section of the different solutions
on the right the kit waterway plank (second photo of this post)
on the left the unshaped 4mm pear and
in the center the shaped "real" waterway
IMG-6342.jpg

Refering to my model, I decided to make real waterways, so I prepared them in scratch - on the photo you can see the parts for the gun deck

IMG-6345.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-6338.jpg
    IMG-6338.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-6339.jpg
    IMG-6339.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 12
So you are saying that the 4x4 pear is shaved then incorporated with the planking instead of plunked on top as per plans. That is all too sensibly correct but 'sigh...'
too late for me. I do have to slow down a bit.

Many Thanks for the comments and likes - much appreciated.

So you are saying that the 4x4 pear is shaved then incorporated with the planking instead of plunked on top as per plans. That is all too sensibly correct but 'sigh...'
too late for me. I do have to slow down a bit.

like mentioned before already - most maybe all kit manufacturer are doing the waterways in the same, technically incorrect way. The final result is mostly, when you make it in a very accurate way not really visible

I tried to show it in this sketch
Unbenannt.png

on the left side the normal way the waterway was build on real ships, the joints were usually caulked (red) - so the visible joint lines are marked with the green arrows.

On the kits like Coureur the waterway is constructed on top of the planking - the visible line of the joint is marked also here in green

=> you see that the joints are at the same place !!!

At the model of the Coureur we have only one location where we can see the difference - at the beam near the pumps, where the deck is making the step.
This photo I made yesterday, showing exactly the location I mean
(remark to understand the photo correctly: the waterway is ending at the correct place, the three planks have to be still shortened )
IMG-6402a.jpg

Back