LE COUREUR - french Lugger 1776 - POF kit from CAF in 1:48 by Uwe

Beautiful work again Uwe.
I am in the same process in my Alert, unfortunately we Alert builders have to build from scratch here, nothing provided for interior of the powder room.
I have to make some powder cartridges and yours look very well, keep them in mind.
Thank you - I tried in the beginning to make the cartridges really out of some fine canvas, but it failed - so now it is simply some white painted pieces of toothpicks..... And due to the fact, that they are hardly visible I decided that this is good enough

Last edited:
Thank you - I tried in the beginning to make the cartridges really out of some fine canvas, but it failed - so now it is simply some white painted pieces of toothpicks..... And due to the fact, that they are hardly visible I decided that this is good enough
I am planning to make them of some fine silk, hopefully this weekend I find some time to experiment.

Yesterday I fixed the walls and deck beams of the captains compartment - with small steps I am finishing the interior works

the small scratches on floor etc. (lighter spots) were prdouced by the chisel during removing some wood-glue spots -after a final surface treatment they will be not visible any more
IMG-6138.jpg

IMG-6141.jpg

IMG-6142.jpg

Here a top view of the actual status - for info: the beams with pencil numbers are still not fixed and only dry fitted - the beams without written number are already fixed, these are usually the beams next to a wall in order to stabilse the wall element and fix it to the correct place

Overview from stern to bow
IMG-6144.jpg

IMG-6145.jpg

IMG-6146.jpg

One of the next working steps are the preparation of the two fireplaces / ovens with chimneys, and fixing / lashing the cargo etc.
When all these things are fixed inside the hull, I can finally install the missing beams with all the carlings and the two ladders in order to start the deck ......

Many Thanks for the interest ..... to be continued ......

If you are working on the black powder bags for the amunition magazine, please take also a look at the very clever idea by @Maarten using toothpicks and (toilette)paper. Very good result

20210506_211152.jpg

Some days ago I made the small heating oven for the stern compartment of the captain.
It is completely made out of the elements of the photoetched brass sheet - this work was the reason, why I decided to order a new soldering station, because I am not very happy with the complete work - it is good, that not much will be visible or is covered with some other brass elements

Here is the final result and still not blackened

IMG-6160.jpg

ofen.jpg

best stove ever. my problem is the same, I can never get the solder to go where its supposed to ....and stick....

Many Many Thanks for your very kind words about my midium quality soldering example of the fireplace.
I was shortly before to throw the piece into the garbage ........

So the next steps are now the final installation of the other deck beams and carlings

as usual here the manual excerpts
- in 63 you see the location of the different beams. Here you have to take care in which direction the beams should lay, therefore you have to use in addition the sketch
- 64 -> with checking the locations of the notches for the carlings you will easily recognize the correct beam orientation
IMG-6164.jpg

as small error happened in the description of sketch 64:
you can see in red color 12 carlings mentioned with the dimension 4 * 4 mm, which is incorrect - it should be written 3 * 3 mm !!!

checking the drawing is shown 3mm width of the bigger carlings and also the notches are cut for 3mm
IMG-6163.jpg

The first area, where I installed the carlings was the area with the pumps aft of the cargo hold

First of all dry-fitted
IMG-6165.jpg

and when every carlings is sitting well fixed withh wood-glue - here you can see also the four small partners 2A-5 around the pumps
IMG-6166.jpg

IMG-6167.jpg

IMG-6168.jpg

It is not shown in the manual or in the drawings, but this area is not reachable by any door or ladder, so I decided to add here also a monkey ladder
IMG-6169.jpg

IMG-6170.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

Back