Kit review HMS GRANADO (1742) - section - kit No.2 - POF in scale 1:48 by CAF model

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Kit Review: PART 1
HMS GRANADO (1742)
section - kit No.2
Plank On Frame
in scale 1:48
by CAF model

since several months we were able to follow the development of this amazing kit in one of our topics

-> so we all want now to see the final content of the finished kit

02.jpg

327f9f5936.jpg

The kit is offered directly via CAF-web-page for the price of 342,00 US$ excl. postage

The size of the CAF model in scale 1:48 when finished completely masted and rigged

0d32c42357.jpg

Package

The kit comes safe and careful packed in one covering box, wrapped completely with adhesive tape - so definitely no damage can happen and also no moisture can enter during the very short transport time (my box took only 4 days from China to Austria)

IMG-5584.jpg

IMG-5585.jpg

Here the complete content of the kit

IMG-5586.jpg

complete overview of the content of Box with four packs of wooden sheets (sealed separate in a plastic covering to avoid moisture), one smaller card box with the fittings and one with the jig elementsy one bag with manual and brass etching sheet, and a roll with plans

IMG-5587.jpg

Before I go more in detail, I want to show a little bit more the finished model

1a7da0863a.jpg

05.jpg

f1e35eb7de.jpg

As we know from the above mentioned topic, CAF is working also on a complete ship model and other section elements, so it will get a very interesting set
Here some CAD-sketches to show the development

1b7ee6f6bc.jpg cdf7335e85.jpg

3fbef0552b.jpg 8bfde4f762.jpg 52a2617c6e.jpg

Kit Review to be continued in the following posts ......

Kit Review: PART 2
HMS GRANADO (1742)
section - kit No.2
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

Timber

The kit contents CNC-cut sheets ad well as some laser cut sheets

first of all I want to show you the

CNC cut sheets

IMG_6177.JPG

IMG_6180.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

Very impressive is the extremely accurate 3-D cut of the parts - one reason seems to be a very good quality of the CNC and also due to the "new" timber, which I will show also more in detail

IMG_6185.JPG

IMG_6187.JPG

Alll the sheets are combined cnc prepared and have also slightly laser marks for the bevelling
IMG_6186.JPG

IMG_6188.JPG

IMG_6190.JPG

The photos are not able to show this highest quality - you have to have these sheets in your hand to see and feel the quality - sorry, but I am not able to explain it in a better way

Here some photos from CAF showing the farmes under construction
a8b96d71c4.jpg

07272e7751.jpg

The used timber is very special and (for me) new in kits.
It is lighter in colour, slightly going into yellow, has an extreme fine grain and a very smooth lightly shiny surface

e996949f15.jpg

For me it is looking very very cloe to boxwood, but it is not boxwood, but I guess it has very similar behaviour, workability and appearance.

Here you can see a comparison with the real boxwood, what I have in my workshop (It is not so easy to get in photos the real color, but I hope you get a good impression, therefore three photos)
IMG_6166a.jpg

IMG_6167a.jpg

IMG-5592.jpg

The sheets for the framing are between 5mm up to 9mm thick
IMG_6192.JPG

Great choice of the wood - very special -> I am pretty sure it will be a pleasure to work with

Kit Review: PART 3
HMS GRANADO (1742)
section - kit No.2
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

Laser cut parts

Several sheets made out of the same "Boxwood" (incl 2A and 1D from the following photo)
IMG_6181.JPG

and some "normal" sheets - 1D is very thin, so I guess these are some templates (but I have to see....)
IMG_6182.JPG

The laser cutting is very accurate and the timber has no knots or other deficiancies

wooden strips

Not many strip material is included, but of very high quality

IMG_6195.JPG

and a closer look - here you can see how sharp are the edges cut of this "boxwood"
IMG_6196.JPG

At the end of this chapter of the Review an overview of the complete timber material

IMG_6201.JPG

Kit Review: PART 4
HMS GRANADO (1742)
section - kit No.2
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

Construction jig / cradle

There is no wooden plywood elements for the jig included. CAF is going also here a completely new way and prepared a acryl or plexi glass jig

This photo is showing the completed jig - remarkable are the grey connectors fixed with screws, so the modeler can remove during the construction works single walls of the jig to get better access to the model
125.jpg

The parts for the jig are packed in one smaller box, so no damages during transport of the kit
IMG_6137.JPG

a complete overview of the plexiglass parts
IMG_6138.JPG

IMG_6139.JPG

IMG_6140.JPG

Here you can see also some opening for later measurement with sticks (similar idea like in the Le COUREUR kit from CAF)
IMG_6141.JPG

The principle is shown in these photos from CAF
85bb28cab6.jpg

000b0e68c8.jpg

These are the connectors and screws for the assembling of the jig
IMG_6155.JPG

Kit Review: PART 5
HMS GRANADO (1742)
section - kit No.2
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

The Fittings

all fittings can be found as usual from CAF in an extra stabile box - so nothing is lost, additional secured against forces

IMG_6159.JPG

IMG_6158.JPG

First of all important to show are some plastic elements in the same material like the connectors of the jig
IMG_6152.JPG

With a closer look we recognize, that these are temporary templates for the special framing discussed once in the Development topic

IMG_6194.JPG

01 (1).jpg

Here you can see the use of these small parts
937aeabece.jpg

a82b556ed9.jpg

Great idea to help the modeler to reach the accuracy this model deserves

In the following some photos showing every bag

some rigging ropes for the gun tackling
IMG_6147.JPG

very small (scale correct) blocks for the guns
IMG_6148.JPG

ringbolts and rings
IMG_6149.JPG

a small chain and the trunnion caps for the mortar
IMG_6150.JPG

the rotary pin of the mortar (I guess) and the bombs for the hold
IMG_6151.JPG

and the two guns and the mortar
IMG_6154.JPG

a complete overview of the parts
IMG_6156.JPG

All fittings are of high quality and are really as much as possible in the correct scale

Nevertheless for me the highlight are the guns, which are of really high quality

IMG_6171.JPG

IMG_6198.JPG

IMG_6199.JPG

IMG_6197.JPG

IMG_6200.JPG

Finally and not to gorget the photo etched brass sheet - unfortunately (for my big fingers) also very scale correct prepared

IMG_6161.JPG

Attachments

• 01 Granado -Keel and rib (1).pdf
    807 KB · Views: 0
Kit Review: PART 6
HMS GRANADO (1742)
section - kit No.2
Plank On Frame
by CAF model

The Manual and Drawings

IMG-5595.jpg

New in this kit is also, that every single frame is shown and described in detail separate - I guess it is necessary for the accurate frame construction
IMG-5596.jpg

not many words, but the sketches in combination with the drawings are self explaining and better than thousand words
IMG-5597.jpg

IMG-5598.jpg

IMG-5599.jpg

here also some excerpts of the manual from the CAF web-page
284ffb4abd.jpg 4701f17b62.jpg

27504c8f3e.jpg 89893fd929.jpg

and off course also the obligatory parts list in form of sketches of the timber sheets
IMG-5600.jpg

also included in the kit are two drawings (rolled) showing every single frame and the complete construction

the frames - to be used also as templates for gluing
IMG-5601.jpg

and the section
IMG-5602.jpg

here showing both plan sheets complete taken from the CAF-web-page
9196178dea.jpg

Final first and already second personal opinion by myself in summary

This kit is representing once more a very good step in quality and special ideas.

The combination of a "new" high quality kind of timber - I call it "boxwood" is a very interesting and new step - I guess a very good step, especially because these type of frames, better technical accuracy , which were until now not shown in any other kit, needs the use of such more expensive timber.
f1e35eb7de.jpg

We have once more a work consuming preparation of CNC and Laser combined wooden sheets in high quality
We have scale correct fittings (I like the mortar very much, but also the blocks, photo etched details)
We have a new style and type of construction jig with the acrylic elements
and definitely we know, that we have a very good after sale service by CAF
and as a last point, we have CAF also an active member in our SOS membership, so every modeler can get directly in touch with the manufacturer, if there are any problems or questions. Our member @CAFmodel is modeleing by himself, so he knows and understand very well, what the modeler (like you and me) wants and needs.

I thought, that kit models can not get better -> CAF showed us once more with his Granado kit, that new releases can be better.

A very good kit and worth the money

Tom, Very well done my friend

Back