HMS PANDORA 1:72 - Modelship Dockyard

It certainly softened the glue, but unfortunately it also softened the resin parts.
Thermoplastics and heat, a very bad combination if you want to retain shape. Unfortunately most resin parts in modeling are of the thermoplastic kind.
I don't agree a little bit with you, Johan. If you know the material properties, you can also benefit from it.
It is the same as with the different types of wood, you have to know the material properties to work with it. Wet or warm it, bend into another shape and let dry or cool. It will then restore to the shape you desired. But oak works slightly differently than boxwood, etc. etc. Making it too wet or too hot is also not good, you disturb the fiber structure too much.

This is also the case with the different types of plastic. Heat up and cool down again.
I have also experienced this experimentally with my current build and the use of Evergreen. Heat, bend and let cool. Too much heat means too much distortion.
The use of CA is also specific. In general, the less the better. The CA melts the plastic a bit. Too much CA and it disrupts the structure too much: it almost becomes a gel.

As it turns out, both have their specific material properties, but are somewhat similar.
Only by this build, you have to combine both materials and must take the properties of both materials into account.
That is new with this way of developing of this kind of kits.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I don't agree a little bit with you, Johan. If you know the material properties, you can also benefit from it.
It is the same as with the different types of wood, you have to know the material properties to work with it. Wet or warm it, bend into another shape and let dry or cool. It will then restore to the shape you desired. But oak works slightly differently than boxwood, etc. etc. Making it too wet or too hot is also not good, you disturb the fiber structure too much.

This is also the case with the different types of plastic. Heat up and cool down again.
I have also experienced this experimentally with my current build and the use of Evergreen. Heat, bend and let cool. Too much heat means too much distortion.
The use of CA is also specific. In general, the less the better. The CA melts the plastic a bit. Too much CA and it disrupts the structure too much: it almost becomes a gel.

As it turns out, both have their specific material properties, but are somewhat similar.
Only by this build, you have to combine both materials and must take the properties of both materials into account.
That is new with this way of developing of this kind of kits.
Regards, Peter
Absolutely not necessary to agree, Peter, not even a little bit, however the context in which my remark was made was in reference to parts whose form is critical to the end result, which is the case in this build.

Last edited:
Back