HMS Revenge 1805 figure head

This is his Majesty (almost), Sir Francis Drake, as we found on the basis of the very little information available about Revenge 1805 we guessed that the figurehead should be Drake (if for nothing but for the history of the original Revenge, captained by him).
The pictures show the process. I had to change it partially because I did not have a proper side elevation so I just started with a sketch and went from there. The picture I had is the statue of SFD and there are also plenty of pictures about him on the net. Not ready yet, I have to work on the clothes and on other small details yet.
Janos

DSC_0834.JPGDSC_0835.JPGDSC_0845.JPGDSC_0848.JPGDSC_0850.JPG

The figure of Francis Drake looks good, only the hair could be a little bit more worked out. Fine is the rapier hilt.

Regards
Willi (schifferlbauer)

Thanks, Willi!
I had a few pictures of SFD and on most of those his hair looks like this... I am ready with the figurehead now, after quite a few changes tonight (hair, beard, necklace, jacket, etc). I will post a few pictures tomorrow because the battery in my flash is flat so I have to wait for the sunshine!
János

Excellent carvings, Janos! When looking at such work as your and Willi's two things coming into the mind: It just great that you know those people and you need a lot of learning...still.

It's not often I get excited about artwork, coming from an artistic family, I can usually excited if the work is good and your work is really excellent keep up the good work (maybe even make a silicon mold before assembling for maybe later use)

Back