HMS Revenge Occre build

I'm going for walnut for my final planking , the original supplied Sapelli is too dark for my liking. In saying that, I ordered the walnut from cornwallboats, which is the bottom timber, the timber top of frame is the same from Artesania. Like chalk and cheese, queried Cornwall about it and they said , it was how they get it from supplier. Anywho, to me, the timber at the top is walnut, so i'm going with that. I'm thinking now , it's about how they look after staining/oiling, that's another issue.P1060069.JPG

Not sure what happened with pics, anyway, second planking on its way with walnut. Love this timber, the colour variation , the intense filling and sanding has paid off, as the second planking has laid beautifully down, the final picture is after sanding, which I thought was not going to be achievable with such a thin layer. Be critical, I want to learn.
The problem I'm thinking now is what to dress this timber with, I really don't want to change the colour too much. I'm thinking maybe, no stain and possibly linseed oil (still puts some colour) or tung oil?

Not sure what happened with pics, anyway, second planking on its way with walnut. Love this timber, the colour variation , the intense filling and sanding has paid off, as the second planking has laid beautifully down, the final picture is after sanding, which I thought was not going to be achievable with such a thin layer. Be critical, I want to learn.
The problem I'm thinking now is what to dress this timber with, I really don't want to change the colour too much. I'm thinking maybe, no stain and possibly linseed oil (still puts some colour) or tung oil?
Fixed it.

Onto the gunports and wales. If I followed the instructions, the wales would not fit and actually cover up part of the gunports as well as not leaving enough room to put the decorations in. On top of that , I had to recut some gunport holes to get the right "fllow" or "curve" on the gunports. Some wales were reduced to 3mm wide , in stead of 4mm, the only way I could get it to work. In fact , I had to remove some wales when the problem was discovered, made a mess of some second planking but managed to fix it all. BTW, the decorations provided are just glue on paper, couldn't do that. The triangle pattern here is cut from spare ramin, sapelli and walnut (the cornwallboats version!) timber.P1060637.JPGP1060638.JPGP1060639.JPG

Very nice results on the hull. Walnut is indeed a lovely wood to work with.

You have really been busy with a lot of fine and detailed work. Remind me when you get to the Batavia, I have the "painting" on the stern of the ship which I can try to send you.

You have really been busy with a lot of fine and detailed work. Remind me when you get to the Batavia, I have the "painting" on the stern of the ship which I can try to send you.
Very nice of you Heinrich. I do have one which may or may not work, so I'll be knocking on your door when I get to that point. Cheers.

Just looking back at the shot from the rear along the side of this ship, I am so glad I didn't go with the paper cutouts provided. I'm very happy with the 3D look of the decorations. It was a lot of work but worth it. Cheers all.

The cannon barrels come as is, which I quite like. The carriages were in thin plywood. I covered the outsides with strip wood. The brackets to hold the cannon down were not provided, so I made them from strips of brass. I think I might add pins, will look more complete. Blackening (or bronzing, in my case), I suspended the brass pieces in a jar of ammonia, not in the liquid but just the fumes. The blueish tinge was cleaned away with a Dremel brass wire brush. On the 2nd pic, cannon on the right was before polishing and the left , was after.P1070141.JPGP1070143.JPGP1070145.JPGP1070044.JPG

Back