HMS Snake Caldercraft Build Log

That is looking great. I built that model a while ago and the build log is on this site somewhere. Looking forward to following your progress.

Hello all,

A year and a half has passed since I first joined and posted. Covid has made life interesting to say the least. I went from full time in the office to full time WFH. So I had to move my hobby area to accommodate my work desk. Then my wife lost her job, but found a new job she liked much more, but…also WFH. So I was out of a place to work indefinitely. Finally staked my claim to part of the dining room table and bare the scars of keeping it mine.

Anyhow, I had started my first kit which is the Snake and I am close to finished with the first planking. I followed the examples of previous logs to ensure the keel was straight and bulkheads square. After putting in the deck, I made my first mistake by planking the deck. I was thinking I would be planking against the extensions of the bulkheads, as opposed to removing them first. Ooops. Will deal with that at the appropriate time. Proceeded with the first planking starting from the top and planking evenly on each side to avoid warping the keel. Here are the results so far

I still need to figure out how the stern comes together. That is my nest task. And then to figure out how the second planking will fit into the keel so that they are snug and tight. I am open to any suggestions or criticisms. I am confident that I have no idea what I am doing.
Hallo @Panexpoguy
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello all,

A year and a half has passed since I first joined and posted. Covid has made life interesting to say the least. I went from full time in the office to full time WFH. So I had to move my hobby area to accommodate my work desk. Then my wife lost her job, but found a new job she liked much more, but…also WFH. So I was out of a place to work indefinitely. Finally staked my claim to part of the dining room table and bare the scars of keeping it mine.

Anyhow, I had started my first kit which is the Snake and I am close to finished with the first planking. I followed the examples of previous logs to ensure the keel was straight and bulkheads square. After putting in the deck, I made my first mistake by planking the deck. I was thinking I would be planking against the extensions of the bulkheads, as opposed to removing them first. Ooops. Will deal with that at the appropriate time. Proceeded with the first planking starting from the top and planking evenly on each side to avoid warping the keel. Here are the results so far

I still need to figure out how the stern comes together. That is my nest task. And then to figure out how the second planking will fit into the keel so that they are snug and tight. I am open to any suggestions or criticisms. I am confident that I have no idea what I am doing.
Hallo @Panexpoguy
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Snake going? Any updates for us?

Hello all,

Anyhow, I had started my first kit which is the Snake and I am close to finished with the first planking. I followed the examples of previous logs to ensure the keel was straight and bulkheads square. After putting in the deck, I made my first mistake by planking the deck. I was thinking I would be planking against the extensions of the bulkheads, as opposed to removing them first. Ooops. Will deal with that at the appropriate time. Proceeded with the first planking starting from the top and planking evenly on each side to avoid warping the keel. Here are the results so far.View attachment 278010View attachment 278011View attachment 278012View attachment 278013View attachment 278014

Hallo @Panexpoguy
Birthday-Cake

Back