HMS Sovereign of the Seas belfry question

how much would you charge to get all the deco carved same scales as you ? no need painting just carved , I will paid anything to get that amount of details on my ship same as yours
I feel the same way about the carvings, but no one was selling a set of accurate carvings when I made that inquiry. The Chinese carving set was the closest to accurate and they are no longer available. Unfortunately, we have to make our own. Janos did a great job on his carvings. They take a couple years to make. My plan is to make 3-D models of all the decorations when I get to that stage and print them with a 3-D resin printer. That way, I can edit them when they don't turn out well and re-print them until they are good enough. After that, I want to make the files available to other modelers so they don't have to face this same problem. Before that, I have to learn the Blender modeling program. I have experience as a 3-D modeler and animator, so the learning curve will not be as steep. It will be a could years before I start on the decorations, though.

I feel the same way about the carvings, but no one was selling a set of accurate carvings when I made that inquiry. The Chinese carving set was the closest to accurate and they are no longer available. Unfortunately, we have to make our own. Janos did a great job on his carvings. They take a couple years to make. My plan is to make 3-D models of all the decorations when I get to that stage and print them with a 3-D resin printer. That way, I can edit them when they don't turn out well and re-print them until they are good enough. After that, I want to make the files available to other modelers so they don't have to face this same problem. Before that, I have to learn the Blender modeling program. I have experience as a 3-D modeler and animator, so the learning curve will not be as steep. It will be a could years before I start on the decorations, though.
I GUESS is many of us in this situation.... thanks! really appreciate your feedback,

i love this ship, no i am obsessed with it , lucky me I live in London UK so I have access the to the maritime museum in Greenwich . sad;ly the library was closed on Saturday and the scale model has been moved to a different location, somerset house, strand , but they still have the famous painting of her stern and few ship of the same era , very similar ornament and structure , so it give us a general idea of what was the fashion at the time zoomed in pics from the painting

View attachment 334428

View attachment 334429

View attachment 334430

View attachment 334431

View attachment 334432

View attachment 334433

View attachment 334434

View attachment 334435

View attachment 334436

View attachment 334438

View attachment 334439

View attachment 334440

View attachment 334441

View attachment 334442

View attachment 334443

View attachment 334444

View attachment 334445

View attachment 334446
Hi Harry,

Many thanks for the detailed pictures, these are very valuable for us who are not living around the corner of the nmm.

Last edited:
i love this ship, no i am obsessed with it , lucky me I live in London UK so I have access the to the maritime museum in Greenwich . sad;ly the library was closed on Saturday and the scale model has been moved to a different location, somerset house, strand , but they still have the famous painting of her stern and few ship of the same era , very similar ornament and structure , so it give us a general idea of what was the fashion at the time zoomed in pics from the painting

View attachment 334428

View attachment 334429

View attachment 334430

View attachment 334431

View attachment 334432

View attachment 334433

View attachment 334434

View attachment 334435

View attachment 334436

View attachment 334438

View attachment 334439

View attachment 334440

View attachment 334441

View attachment 334442

View attachment 334443

View attachment 334444

View attachment 334445

View attachment 334446
Many Thanks for sharing with us these detailed photos - Great help for everybody (trying) to build this ship

Sorry but I made only the drawings for the model in scale and corrected some parts what was wrong of the model.
Wofgang Rotter the builder of the model use for his carvings Japanese carving knives and material was pear wood.

ship building help!!

may i suggest this book, great help for shipbuilding details and design this site has lots of free-book

so I went to somerset house to see the SOTS model they have and is nothing like the painting , very close to Artesia latina model design

View attachment 334428

View attachment 334429

View attachment 334430

View attachment 334431

View attachment 334432

View attachment 334433

View attachment 334434

View attachment 334435

View attachment 334436

View attachment 334438

View attachment 334439

View attachment 334440