Hms Surprise 1:75 Mamoli

Thank you all for your kind messages, just found the above anniversary postings etc, I am humbled, It must be said that I have been absent from the both the site and model building for some little time, however now am back in the ‘ swing of it’, I do apologise for not seeing the posting earlier, but have not been on the site for ages due to sad personal events.

However, am now enjoying the considerable challenge of this model, in this respect I will upload a few pictures of progress to date.

May I ask, with new postings to my platform, will I be able to access the personal site easier, as I had to search through several pages of later posts. Thanks guys, speak soon.F6E6D298-D660-4972-8648-DCCA2DA637C1.jpeg986714A8-A242-4673-B13D-F8862EC13E55.jpegFBCDF797-B9D8-4673-9E64-784D8602933C.jpeg

Having re-started my build after a long break, first job was a re-familiarisation with the build, I have never attempted such a difficult model so the planking was a considerable challenge, Having purchased the books and downloaded as much material guiding the project as possible,I remained very unsure of how to proceEd, so I can seriously say,”I have learnt much”, having read, re read and then again as much as possible I embarked on the project, it may well not be as neat as one might wish but it’s done, Sanded down and ready to,progress.
To which end the questions arose regarding gun ports, placement, how to construct the planking above strake 34 etc, I have decided that I will keep the upper deck unfixed, but used it for reference to Install the strake immediately above the gun ports, thus I can complete these two sides before moving onto the installation of the gun carriages on the gun deck. Fixing of the stern transom and associated parts, deck beams on frames 1 2 3 4 5 11 16 17 and stern transom 31 together with the 3 gratings etc. this seems a logical progress!. I can also build up the upper sides and double plank the area of the gun ports prior to fitting the upper deck, as far as I can see this will be a better manner to progress the model. Any comments would be very gratefully received guys. I attach three pictures of the upper strake being positioned above the gun ports, glued in with aliphatic resin, which adhesive is thoroughly recommended,
The pictures show a ‘cradle’ I constructed to hold the model a little more securely whilst working on the upper parts. Some 6 mm MDF and a couple of 2 x1 battens suffice.

must say that I am wrestling with the original drawing of L’Unite, in which the vessel is shown with 12 guns a side and bow chasers, just wondering if I should put in a dummy gun port to suggest bow chasers on my model!!. Having downloaded the drawing from the Nautical Research Guild site of the ship as built. Not sure , but would guess that when converted by the admiralty there would have been ‘bow chasers’ ??. But the model does not allow for same. Just a thought.

Today’s work, populated the port side gun ports. Relatively good days advance, attached some pictures.
The little clamps are salvaged from a Christmas card string, the clips held the cards, however I thought of a more useful future for them!...
Where the vertical support pieces are glued to the top strake, with the chamber of the hull some pieces would not adhese as they sprung out, so I pinned little pieces of waste transverse to hold the pieces in place, otherwise th e whole process went very well.
BC72BA05-FC8D-4BF6-830E-7DAED409ED74.jpeg92A39013-8E18-4816-A0F3-02E25D50BEB5.jpegD8B2FA6F-EBC1-4BB0-B8C8-D8933899C956.jpeg

Learning as you go is always part of process.

I have learned much from reading others build logs and the help forums where many good informational articles are posted.

I saw one which had links to help with planking methods and styles.

Thank you all for your kind messages, just found the above anniversary postings etc, I am humbled, It must be said that I have been absent from the both the site and model building for some little time, however now am back in the ‘ swing of it’, I do apologise for not seeing the posting earlier, but have not been on the site for ages due to sad personal events.

However, am now enjoying the considerable challenge of this model, in this respect I will upload a few pictures of progress to date.

May I ask, with new postings to my platform, will I be able to access the personal site easier, as I had to search through several pages of later posts. Thanks guys, speak soon.View attachment 146959View attachment 146960View attachment 146961
Hi Chris,

Welcome back.
If you quickly want to find your blog go to the main menu and click the "your thread" button. You then find a list of all the topics you started.

Good day all,
Had a few thinks yesterday, as I had noticed the , apparently , heavy lines in the planking on posted photographs, my conclusion , after a good inspection of the vessel, is that they are not bad planking , but the adhesive used, which, being a joiner, was our principle water based adhesive in manufacturing, Evostic Resin W, green bottle, which is a P V A adhesive, strong , relatively fast setting, temperature sensitive, but tends to dry with a greyish colour, so any damage to an edge will be filled with the adhesive at bonding, thus giving the telltale grey lines, ugly but uncompromising.
I must admit I was a little disappointed with the appearance, but this is the reason. The ‘aliphatic ‘ resin I have now started to use dries clearer but yellow, which offers similar a effect, however not so dramatic, with the advantage of a faster dry time.
Chris

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Just spent some time going over Jimsky’s posts regarding the Charles Royal yacht build with particular interest in the , brilliantly detailed, second planking process, as after completing the gun deck etc I will be looking to start the second planking.
I believe that the first planking was probably from Lime wood, Tillieul in French, which is a lovely fine but soft wood, ideal as it sands well.
The supplied wood for the second planking is a hardwood of some sort, certainly not as stated, but that’s , by-the-way, it still posses several questions, not the least, how to proceed, hence my interest in Jimsky’s post, there are no doubt others, but this will be for further study, my aim is to formulate a , modus operandi, soonest.
There are very interesting and evocative details shown by the post referred to which will be greatly helpful. not least to myself.
So, a huge thank you to Jim, you have given me much to ponder,
The supplied planking wood is 4x1.25 mm as far as I can see, by vernier gauge, there are 53 strips supplied which will cover 212 mm, measuring from the keel to the gun ports we have 120 mm each side, that appears to leave me short of boarding, by some 30 mm , conundrum !!. Has anyone else had this problem with this build? .
I guess matching the wood will be nigh impossible, looks like one has to purchase a complete new batch of wood,
Interesting!!.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Just spent some time going over Jimsky’s posts regarding the Charles Royal yacht build with particular interest in the , brilliantly detailed, second planking process, as after completing the gun deck etc I will be looking to start the second planking.
I believe that the first planking was probably from Lime wood, Tillieul in French, which is a lovely fine but soft wood, ideal as it sands well.
The supplied wood for the second planking is a hardwood of some sort, certainly not as stated, but that’s , by-the-way, it still posses several questions, not the least, how to proceed, hence my interest in Jimsky’s post, there are no doubt others, but this will be for further study, my aim is to formulate a , modus operandi, soonest.
There are very interesting and evocative details shown by the post referred to which will be greatly helpful. not least to myself.
So, a huge thank you to Jim, you have given me much to ponder,
The supplied planking wood is 4x1.25 mm as far as I can see, by vernier gauge, there are 53 strips supplied which will cover 212 mm, measuring from the keel to the gun ports we have 120 mm each side, that appears to leave me short of boarding, by some 30 mm , conundrum !!. Has anyone else had this problem with this build? .
I guess matching the wood will be nigh impossible, looks like one has to purchase a complete new batch of wood,
Interesting!!.
Hi Chris, there will be wales also these are most probably from thicker strips reducing the number of veneer strips needed.

Update from the work of this week to date, Have now placed all gun ports and boarded up to the strake at upper deck level, all good. I have fitted the upper deck to eventually drop into place, but still loose as the gun carriages must be fixed first.
Thinking ahead to the rubbing strakes, trying to determine timber sizes etc , it now seems possible the read the list found on Plan 1 , having parts numbered 1 to 33, these are all in Italian but once one understands a little, all slips into place, the list gives all part numbers, as detailed on the plans, with , Quantity, Material used, Sizes and Codice, which I have not yet cracked, but probably will not need to, this list to part 33 is continued on drawing Plan 3, et all.

So we find the part number, part description in Italian, no,problem there as the part number is on the plan so a visual connection may be made, col 3 has the parts material, wood, metal etc, for the wood there is a code system such as. LM. = Mahogany Lath, LN = walnut lath, NO = walnut wood part (distinct part not lath), then the 4th col is the parts size. Voila, so part 51 of detail 8 on sheet plan 2 is a pre formed plywood part, part 52 on the same sheet of detail 9 is Walnut 4x1 section lath.
I understand that plans may differ with kits, but this gives a clearer ,I hope, manner of finding component parts and helps also sort out the kits stock of woods etc.
finally a couple of shots of the gun ports in place and the loosely fitted upper deck, knowing which pieces of wood to use now I can proceed with the strakes below the gun ports prior to starting the second coat of hull planking. I should also note that the stern transom parts are also unfixed, held in place with rubber bands for clarity and sizing of the planking, it is still possible to place all gun carriages after the hull second planking is finished up to the gun ports, but before the deck and transom are fixed, which will then make the building up of the upper sides simpler, the tumblehome etc.

Hope this helps, particularly for you Bill, as you are building the same kit at the moment, likewise for any future interest in this lovely project.
B66FFD3A-1139-430D-B58F-48B1D12B58F6.jpeg531F8704-364E-4EF6-93E0-FD79CAD744D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Chris. I just started this model, so far so good. I'm in the early stages which means planking of the gun deck level. With so little of the gun deck actually visible I'm curious why you choose to plank from stem to stern. Just because you'll know it's there?

Cheers

Update from the work of this week to date, Have now placed all gun ports and boarded up to the strake at upper deck level, all good. I have fitted the upper deck to eventually drop into place, but still loose as the gun carriages must be fixed first.
Thinking ahead to the rubbing strakes, trying to determine timber sizes etc , it now seems possible the read the list found on Plan 1 , having parts numbered 1 to 33, these are all in Italian but once one understands a little, all slips into place, the list gives all part numbers, as detailed on the plans, with , Quantity, Material used, Sizes and Codice, which I have not yet cracked, but probably will not need to, this list to part 33 is continued on drawing Plan 3, et all.

So we find the part number, part description in Italian, no,problem there as the part number is on the plan so a visual connection may be made, col 3 has the parts material, wood, metal etc, for the wood there is a code system such as. LM. = Mahogany Lath, LN = walnut lath, NO = walnut wood part (distinct part not lath), then the 4th col is the parts size. Voila, so part 51 of detail 8 on sheet plan 2 is a pre formed plywood part, part 52 on the same sheet of detail 9 is Walnut 4x1 section lath.
I understand that plans may differ with kits, but this gives a clearer ,I hope, manner of finding component parts and helps also sort out the kits stock of woods etc.
finally a couple of shots of the gun ports in place and the loosely fitted upper deck, knowing which pieces of wood to use now I can proceed with the strakes below the gun ports prior to starting the second coat of hull planking. I should also note that the stern transom parts are also unfixed, held in place with rubber bands for clarity and sizing of the planking, it is still possible to place all gun carriages after the hull second planking is finished up to the gun ports, but before the deck and transom are fixed, which will then make the building up of the upper sides simpler, the tumblehome etc.

Hope this helps, particularly for you Bill, as you are building the same kit at the moment, likewise for any future interest in this lovely project.
View attachment 147740View attachment 147741
Hello Chris,
It looks really beautiful, Good luck with continuing to build the model

Hi Chris. I just started this model, so far so good. I'm in the early stages which means planking of the gun deck level. With so little of the gun deck actually visible I'm curious why you choose to plank from stem to stern. Just because you'll know it's there?

Cheers

Hello, good morning to you, great kit and though there are a few ‘surprises’, will be a pleasure to work on. As to the gun deck planking, yes I planked through because the deck is, to some respect, visible via the gun ports and for continuity I suppose. I am in the process of yet another removal, this time from the Maltese islands back to the U K so have virtually everything packed for the removal date of around end September.
I will not be posting any updates for a while but still be on line, so any thoughts may be sent and within a short delay I will respond. Happy building, hope all goes well, the only advise I can offer is, read all instruction until you understand exactly what they mean as the language translation is sometimes a little difficult as the kit is Croatian and the translation is , or appears to be, from Italian, a blend that is hard to assimilate into English,

There is another consideration, that of centring the gun when placed on the carriage, in the centre of. The gun port, if the deck is not completed throughout then there will be a small but visible difference in the gun barrel height in the gun port, which, at 9 mm square, is worth considering.
i used the 1-5 mm planking for the gun deck. So being, the centre of the port is 4.5 mm , if there is no decking then the barrel would be at +/- 3 mm in the port ????. Not 4.5mm.

Back