HMS Surprise - Mamoli 1:75 Build

Many thanks for starting the build log. We understand that this is your second POB (Plank On Bulkhead) wood model. I am sure you will benefit from the advice of many SOS members. One thing, I personally would like to point, if you don't mind, check your middle section of planking, it has a gap. You would need to work to fill this gap prior to the second planking. This area doesn't have a bulkhead, this is why you have a gap. You can glue a piece of scrap wood and sand it down smooth or you can use wood fillers depending on how deep this gap is.

10 - Main Deck Installed.jpg

Looks great! Larger wheels of cannon carriage should be on the front side.
I hadn't noticed that when I put the first one together. There isn't anything in the instructions mentioning that, but...I figured that the original would have the larger wheels in front to help with gun elevations. The rest of the carriages will be set up correctly. :)

Many thanks for starting the build log. We understand that this is your second POB (Plank On Bulkhead) wood model. I am sure you will benefit from the advice of many SOS members. One thing, I personally would like to point, if you don't mind, check your middle section of planking, it has a gap. You would need to work to fill this gap prior to the second planking. This area doesn't have a bulkhead, this is why you have a gap. You can glue a piece of scrap wood and sand it down smooth or you can use wood fillers depending on how deep this gap is.

View attachment 222086
Thanks for the advice, Jimsky! Yep...that first layer is rather rough, especially in the bow area. I've been off the boat for a while with a short vacation, and should get back to it soon....maybe today. Any advice on those gunports? I did put a little 3mm tail piece on them to try to hold them up when I put them in. It is crazy the order of construction, such as putting on the main deck before finishing the gun deck! Guess I should have read the full set of instructions, not just go page by page.... 80(

Any advice on those gunports?
Well, it is hard to advise without the oversight of the entire sequense of assembly. Everyone has a different approach, thought. I am sure someone will chime in. We have at least another member @TKAM who builds the model from the same kit. He might be able to help you with advice. Meanwhile, check his build log

Hello PapaRon,
Very nice work.
I am building Yacht America also by Mamoli. The instructions in five languages, the english grammar lacking, the parts list in Italian, and the drawings in different sections from the instructions, all somewhat confusing. Some parts have been missing. Hope your documentation is better on the Surprise.
Dr. Y

On the gun ports. I can comment from a similar model I built. Parts 41 are inner frame parts that are placed on the inner side of the first layer of planking. They serve as a base upon which parts 36, the gun port frames, are then attached. Once the gun port frames are in place, the planking will build up around the gun port frames leaving only a small frame edge or lip visible. So...glue the frame parts 41 to the inner side of the planking layer, then glue the gun port frames part 36 to the frame parts 41, then finish the planking around the gun port frames. Hope this helps...

Last edited:
On the gun ports. I can comment from a similar model I built. Parts 41 are inner frame parts that are placed on the inner side of the first layer of planking. They serve as a base upon which parts 36, the gun port frames, are then attached. Once the gun port frames are in place, the planking will build up around the gun port frames leaving only a small frame edge or lip visible. So...glue the frame parts 41 to the inner side of the planking layer, then glue the gun port frames part 36 to the frame parts 41, then finish the planking around the gun port frames. Hope this helps...
Thanks, I will have to look for part 41. I just stuck a little 3mm board on the backside of the gunports frame.

Thanks, I will have to look for part 41. I just stuck a little 3mm board on the backside of the gunports frame.
Welllll...now I feel like a dummy.... I should read ahead on the instructions a bit instead of following step by step. I do see the part 41 now, and have begun to apply them to the sides as described in your response. My next question is did you do that on both sides of all the gunports, even those fairly close to the framework/bulwark?
The other really "fun" part of this is figuring out how far back to place the gun carriage before putting the gunport on! It would be nice to do all this before putting on the main deck, but that's a topic for another conversation... 80)

Welllll...now I feel like a dummy.... I should read ahead on the instructions a bit instead of following step by step. I do see the part 41 now, and have begun to apply them to the sides as described in your response. My next question is did you do that on both sides of all the gunports, even those fairly close to the framework/bulwark?
The other really "fun" part of this is figuring out how far back to place the gun carriage before putting the gunport on! It would be nice to do all this before putting on the main deck, but that's a topic for another conversation... 80)

What I ended up doing is to install the upper false deck per instructions, lay down the first strip of limewood where the lower edge of the gunports will be. On the plans it shows exactly where this plank should be, it does vary from the stern to midships to bow. Then I planked down to the keel. After that you can place all the gunports right on top of that top strip of limewood (with appropriate bracing), place it so that the inner facia of the gunport is flush with the inner edge of the limewood strip. This will cause the gunport to stand proud by several millimeters, sand those down flush when the first planking is completed. At this point I cut rectangular holes in the false deck and set the cutouts aside. This way you can complete both layers of planking, sanding, coppering, etc. and only THEN when the ship is upright again you can mount the gun carriages. I just pushed the gun carriages as far outboard as they would go and with a dab of CA glue on the bottom of each wheel it's mounted. As all the gunports were placed with the inboard "side" of the gunport flush with the inner edge of the first planking all the cannon jut out at exactly the same amount.

T
What I ended up doing is to install the upper false deck per instructions, lay down the first strip of limewood where the lower edge of the gunports will be. On the plans it shows exactly where this plank should be, it does vary from the stern to midships to bow. Then I planked down to the keel. After that you can place all the gunports right on top of that top strip of limewood (with appropriate bracing), place it so that the inner facia of the gunport is flush with the inner edge of the limewood strip. This will cause the gunport to stand proud by several millimeters, sand those down flush when the first planking is completed. At this point I cut rectangular holes in the false deck and set the cutouts aside. This way you can complete both layers of planking, sanding, coppering, etc. and only THEN when the ship is upright again you can mount the gun carriages. I just pushed the gun carriages as far outboard as they would go and with a dab of CA glue on the bottom of each wheel it's mounted. As all the gunports were placed with the inboard "side" of the gunport flush with the inner edge of the first planking all the cannon jut out at exactly the same amount.
Thanks, TKAM! I always appreciate the experience and advice of those who have done this before me. I am considering painting the inside of the gunports white, with the inside of the actual gunport door being red. Does that sound right? I was thinking that they had as much of the gundeck (and below) painted white to try to reflect as much light as possible.
In my pictures below, where the frame is 'close' to the edge of the gunport...did you insert the upright piece (part #41), or just carry it over from the frame? Looking at the top picture, the starboard forward three guns are in question, plus there are others further aft with the same situation.
PXL_20210423_174931642.jpgPXL_20210423_174951310.MP.jpgPXL_20210423_175007283.MP.jpg

T

Thanks, TKAM! I always appreciate the experience and advice of those who have done this before me. I am considering painting the inside of the gunports white, with the inside of the actual gunport door being red. Does that sound right? I was thinking that they had as much of the gundeck (and below) painted white to try to reflect as much light as possible.
In my pictures below, where the frame is 'close' to the edge of the gunport...did you insert the upright piece (part #41), or just carry it over from the frame? Looking at the top picture, the starboard forward three guns are in question, plus there are others further aft with the same situation.
View attachment 229338View attachment 229339View attachment 229340

In those tight spaces the frame works nicely AS the part 41 brace, so no I didn't try and squeeze in another lathe. It's up to you but I found that after first planking I created a small mountain of sawdust sanding it smooth to accept the 2nd planking. I didn't want to foul up my completed gun carriages/cannon with a lot of dust. That's why I cut holes into the upper false deck so I could slide in the gun carriages after all sanding was complete, and after coppering was complete. This way also all those glued down gun carriages have to hang upside down for the weeks it takes to fully complete the lower hull.

Thank you, Uwek. I know it has been a while since I was last here, but I have had a boatful (pun totally intended) of home repair projects going on lately. Hopefully, I can start to get back to the boat soon. I am ready to attach the portside gun ports, then start the planking up to the bulwarks....and then start the first round of sanding and filling as needed.

Hi all...FINALLY getting back to the shop. My next question deals with the planking above the gun ports up to the bulwarks supports. There is absolutely nothing in the directions that day how many planks to go up, and the only picture in the instructions shows 3 planks at the stern. I am guessing that is correct, with 2 on the forecastle...? And...are these the limewood planks or the finish planking?

Back