HMS Triton Cross Section by DocBlake - 1/24 scale

After completing my Battle Station model in 1/24 scale, I was anxious to do another project at that large scale. An entire ship at 1/24 would require an addition to our house, so I settled on a cross section. I have plans for the HMS Granado in 1/24, but decided to launch a Triton cross section instead. As soon as I enlarged the keel plans to 200% I realized a potential problem. The lines on the plans themselves are 1/32" wide at that size! I'm going to have to be very careful in sizing parts for this build.

I started with a piece of boxwood , dimensioned it on my table saw and thickness sander and cut a shallow kerf on each side for the rabbet. I enlarged the kerf to a "V" groove with wood carving tools and square edged sanding blocks. I made the false keel out of rosewood, and the keelson out of swiss pear. I've posted some photos of my progress.

DaveTkeel1.jpgTkeel2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: HMS Triton Cross Section - 1/24 scale

<t>Mike Shanks and I have been planning on doing a joint projet: POF "Hannah" in 1/24 scale...the whole ship. Not sure about rigging yet. I think the Triton cross section will be good practice for that build. I cut out and surfaced the blanks of hard maple I'll use for the frames. The maple is 3/8" thick, giving a final double frame thickness of 3/4". The footprint of the cross section at this scale is huge: 9-7/8" X 16-3/4" ! The photo shows the plans for frame 2 compared to a midship's frame of "Fair American" at 1/48 scale.<br/>
<br/>
Dave</t>

2frames.jpg

Re: HMS TRiton Cross Section - 1/24 scale

<t>Of course I am aboard for this voyage!! Those keel parts look great!!</t>

Dave this is going to be huge,I am following this cross section build too.

Hi Dave,
It is good to see another cross section in this forum. The Triton will make a nice model, at 1:24 it will be easy to work on. I like your chose of woods for the model.
Mike

Hi Dave,

I remember your build log of the Triton in my old forum and was amazed at the size of that frame the first time I saw it. I'm sorry to say that I wish I could have kept the old forum but the hosting company where it was hosted was just getting too expensive and their hosting capabilities were lagging in terms of technology.

How's the Triton cross section coming along? I'd love to see what this cross section will look like once it's completed. At that scale, the level of detail should be awesome.

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say Hi.

Take care,

Bob Hunt

I finished gluing up the last of the 9 frames. I used Weldbond so I gave the most recently completed frames a couple of days to dry before rough handling. The frames will require minimal trimming and shimming in a few spots to conform to the plans. Once that's done, I'll rough sand the frames to match the plans and start to glue and dowel then to the keel. It took one week to enlarge the plans, glue up the individual futtock on to the billets, cut them out and glue them together. I used double sided tape to hold the appropriate futtocks to the plans and glued the second layer to the first. taped down layer. I put a piece of plywood and big food cans to weight down the plywood until they dried. The beer is to celebrate! It's a Hofbrau Maibock.
I used toothpicks dyed black to simulate the bolts holding the futtocks together.

doneframes.jpgnailframe1.jpgnailedframes2.jpg

Dave

I am enjoying your Triton Cross section build very much.

Cheers
Geoff

I'm finishing up a number of small tasks before starting to mount the frames on the keel. I'm marking out the rabbets for the gun port sills and lintels, and adding some temporary bracing across the top timbers of the frames to stiffen them. They are attached with Weldbond, so I can dissolve the bond with alcohol. The first photo shows my build board with the keel and false keel screwed to it. The keel assembly is long on both ends so it can be trimmed flush after the hull is removed from the board. The second photo is my brace for ensuring all the frames are plumb. The lines represent the top of the frames and the lines for the rabbets to receive the sills and lintels of the ports. The third photo shows a frame in place with a temporary brace across the top.

Davejig1.jpgjig2.jpgjig3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dave

Golly but you are full of surprises, great work you are turning out that is for sure. The size of your HMS Trinton is nothing short of amazing. You must live in a large home with lots of room to display your ships, WELL DONE, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hallo Dave,
for me it was some years ago a very good experience to build the Triton cross section.
I am very interested to see the Triton in this bigger scale and will follow your log with big interest.
It is realy looking good - I am looking forward

Back