HMS Victory 1:78 scale scratch built from Mantua plans

Hello all I've finally summoned the courage to do a build log, partly to get me motivated but mostly for help and advise there is so much quality work done on this forum that it was also putting me off but when you think about it who better to ask. This is the first time I've built a ship and its probably over the top for a first build but the Victory was to much a temptation as well as being a 2 hour drive away to see the real thing. I'll start with pictures so far well up untill September last year when I was about to start the first planking, thats what's really stopping me I know to a certain extent its going to be covered again by walnut but I thought I'd try to do it as well as I could for the practise. Pictures are just of the keel and frames cut ot on my fret saw and the glue up and a bit of deck planking needed before the hull planking also of the stern parts that I took from another set of plans as I was not that impressed with the mantua's stern.
Paul
DSCF3004.JPGDSCF3005.JPGDSCF3008.JPGDSCF3019.JPGDSCF3021.JPGDSCN1027.JPGDSCN1030.JPGDSCN1033.JPGDSCN1035.JPGDSCN1037.JPGDSCN1044.JPGDSCN1046.JPGDSCN1047.JPG

Hello all I've finally summoned the courage to do a build log, partly to get me motivated but mostly for help and advise there is so much quality work done on this forum that it was also putting me off but when you think about it who better to ask. This is the first time I've built a ship and its probably over the top for a first build but the Victory was to much a temptation as well as being a 2 hour drive away to see the real thing. I'll start with pictures so far well up untill September last year when I was about to start the first planking, thats what's really stopping me I know to a certain extent its going to be covered again by walnut but I thought I'd try to do it as well as I could for the practise. Pictures are just of the keel and frames cut ot on my fret saw and the glue up and a bit of deck planking needed before the hull planking also of the stern parts that I took from another set of plans as I was not that impressed with the mantua's stern.
Paul
View attachment 207742View attachment 207750View attachment 207752View attachment 207754View attachment 207756View attachment 207757View attachment 207758View attachment 207760View attachment 207761View attachment 207763View attachment 207764View attachment 207765View attachment 207766
Hallo Paul,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Wow Paul, you sure got your hands full if this is your first ship.
I’m always been scare of HER.
She is a big lady.
But be courageous, there are a few top notch builders here to help you out.
I believe you are doing a fine job so far.
I will follow your build.

Hello Bluebeard
Yes your right about hands full I realized that soon after starting but I'm the type that does one offs (as long as its made of wood) I doubt I'll do another ship after this one. I intend to finish the B17 bomber I'm doing, also the Shand Mason fire engine. I can't believe the quality of the builds I've seen on this forum which stopped me posting before but at the same time who better to ask for help. Unfortunately I,m laid up at the moment with back and a knee problem which stops me sitting and standing for to long but hopefully I'll be back in the workshop next week and continue with the first planking I've decided to start the planking where the plans say which is along the middle deck, there seem to be a lot of different opinions as to where to start but I think that's what I'll do.

Paul

Hello Bluebeard
Yes your right about hands full I realized that soon after starting but I'm the type that does one offs (as long as its made of wood) I doubt I'll do another ship after this one. I intend to finish the B17 bomber I'm doing, also the Shand Mason fire engine. I can't believe the quality of the builds I've seen on this forum which stopped me posting before but at the same time who better to ask for help. Unfortunately I,m laid up at the moment with back and a knee problem which stops me sitting and standing for to long but hopefully I'll be back in the workshop next week and continue with the first planking I've decided to start the planking where the plans say which is along the middle deck, there seem to be a lot of different opinions as to where to start but I think that's what I'll do.

Paul

Hey Paul
I understand when you said “ I can't believe the quality of the builds I've seen on this forum which stopped me posting before but at the same time who better to ask for help.”
Most of the time I feel the same way but lately I’m accepting what I know and just move forward hoping that my models someday will get close to them.

Hi all, I'm going to start my 1st planking, I have 2 sizes of lime strip one is 6x1.5mm the other is 7x1.5mm my question is does it matter what size is best to use and can I mix them or is it one or the other.
Regards
Paul

Planking finally started didn't realise how fiddly and time consuming it would be, maybe the arthritis in my fingers doesn't help but I am enjoying it. Taken a week to do only 4 planks each side but in fairness that's not every day. Please tell me if I'm doing it right.DSCN1050.JPGDSCN1051.JPGDSCN1052.JPGDSCN1053.JPGDSCN1054.JPGDSCN1054.JPGDSCN1055.JPGDSCN1056.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN1057.JPG
    DSCN1057.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 3
All looks well to me.
Nice work.
This is a tedious part of the build but when finished, is very rewarding .
Keep up the good work.

Hi all I'm stopping planking for the moment so as to wire up some lights before I go any further. I don't intend to light up the ship just the gratings and maybe the stern lanterns and nothing else if I don't like it it wont matter but I don't want to regret not trying before it becomes inaccessible.DSCN1065.JPG This little package came today so I'll try it out over the weekend.

Pau
Hallo @paullippo
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Victory going?

Hallo @paullippo
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Victory going?
Thanks Uwe for the birthday wishes.
Not touched Victory since last April, Ive had to many things interrupting the build but I intend to start back on it again very soon, I've missed the pleasure and satisfaction it gives me.

Kind regards
Paul

Paul
Hallo @paullippo
Birthday-Cake

Back