HMS Victory - Corel - Cross section

I guess little late starting a build,log is better than not starting at all. This kit is a challenge as it is mostly inaccurate as a representation of the midsection of the HMS VICTORY. That is part of the fun and challenge to take basically a shell and make something more true to the original as much as possible. For instance, the kit does not address the pumps at all. Using Longridge's book, I was able to find a photo of the actual pumps (Plate 42). Using another model's instructions, I put together the structures surrounding the piping on the lower decks. For the cannons, I had to use smaller blocks and rings than the kit provided as those were much too large and would have appeared rather odd and left overs from my Mamoli HMS VICTORY kit helped dress out the carriages. "Elm tree" pumps were from Model Expo. I am using copper tape (cut to scale size, again, Longridge) for the hull sheathing. Bugle's book provided lots of informtion about the rigging including two diagrams of both running and standing rigging. I am also using McCay's book as a reference. Also, having built the complete ship is a great reference in itself.

View attachment 386573

I guess little late starting a build,log is better than not starting at all. This kit is a challenge as it is mostly inaccurate as a representation of the midsection of the HMS VICTORY. That is part of the fun and challenge to take basically a shell and make something more true to the original as much as possible. For instance, the kit does not address the pumps at all. Using Longridge's book, I was able to find a photo of the actual pumps (Plate 42). Using another model's instructions, I put together the structures surrounding the piping on the lower decks. For the cannons, I had to use smaller blocks and rings than the kit provided as those were much too large and would have appeared rather odd and left overs from my Mamoli HMS VICTORY kit helped dress out the carriages. "Elm tree" pumps were from Model Expo. I am using copper tape (cut to scale size, again, Longridge) for the hull sheathing. Bugle's book provided lots of informtion about the rigging including two diagrams of both running and standing rigging. I am also using McCay's book as a reference. Also, having built the complete ship is a great reference in itself.

View attachment 386573
Good morning. The HMS Victory…the magnificent ship which non of the kit manufacturers ever get right. Makes it more interesting to build and modify to get more correct. I love the detail you are including will make for a wonderful cross section. Cheers Grant

I received posts and wriggles (drip deflectors, rigols, etc) from Cornwall yesterday. Ordered then middle of last week. Deliver was quick, monitored, Cornwall gave me updates about the shipping, etc. I was very pleased with the service. Apparently no delay in US customs. I am going to ask if they offer quantity discoulnts on the wriggles as it would be nice to "retrofit" them on my 100+ gun ports on the full model.

One of the best things I ever did was, during a visit to London to visit with friends, I took a day trip to Portsmouth and took several hundred photos of her in situ. Amazing how low the actual head clearance is below decks. As someone who's 6'-2" tall, I managed to wallop my head a few times while paying more attention to what I was photographing, as opposed to remembering to duck while moving. lol

Back in London, I visited the Cutty Sark, as well as the Greenwich Observatory, and next door the naval collection of admiralty models. So much ship building history.

Hi there.
I bought and tried to make this (2010) : Hull was in two pieces.
I stopped the build ….
Started on scratch building it.
Thank the Lord - do it right!
Some 1st class books / drawings etc… accessible!
As with most kits I threw away their planking and made my own. … come to think about it, 99% was binned)….

Cannons I made 1 number, then cast : LMP. Plasticine.
Thread I made using a drill - similar to rope maker. (Remember the sun direction or you will be French).
Dead eyes : card Punches), wood (lathe / jig).
I added extras + cradle / display stand.
Cannon balls - ball bearings ( oil dipped).

I take my hat off - with your kit build!
I really wish you all the best.

In my opinion
These old fashioned kit manufactures better move with the times or seriously reduce their ridiculous pricing / master sales pitch.
Also it dishonours the Ship….With there inaccuracies- there is no excuses, nowadays.

Of course … competitors are … taking them apart.

Thanks for your review. I have this kit sitting on the shelf and was planning to do it as an in-between easy project. Guess I'll think again. Long ago built Corel's Flying Fish. The amount of improvement I did to the kit's design was similar to what you describe - and the supplied wood was just crap and had to be replaced. Overall however I enjoyed it.

If you want just a kit.. ok
But it is no way a weekend or … project.
It will make into a good mantelpiece looker.
If like me - you want something else : bit realistic …

The two half’s are a pig to get symmetrical - I joined them and built an extra length bobbin for sanding but even then ….

The materials were ok but the sand was awful ….

The side on build plan was difficult especially vertical members….

Not an easy kit …

I bought the Ocra monthly kit of HMS Victory. A few tweaks and extras …. I was a happy bunny.

In between scratch / kit ….

Definitely not a 1st time kit for beginners …

There is a book - in which a model maker made this. Sorry my brain is not functioning. He made 4 or 5 books… one kit he built was William 100+ gun off the line. Sadly burnt / killing an admiral on board.
This massive kit is back breaking but makes into a beautiful model - seen it in Eastbourne model shop fully built. Straight from the box. It’s big, very big….

A project I wish to make but not from a kit.
English Lime wood, black bean, bit of pear and apple for some carvings. Not sure cut away areas or part ribs to just a full build. A project for my 70’s :))) I hope!
Plus my modelings skills might have improved :)

Good luck and hope you make it! And pleased with it.
Mine took 2 years …. On / off / work / moving / kids etc….

Thank you for your input. If you think of the book please let me know; I thought I owned all the Victory modeling books.

Hi, I am following with interest.
Which kit do you have as I think there may be 2 versions of it, is it this one.

Victory.jpg

Hallo @uncchains
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Keith Julier book looked at this model, some good tips. I tried it / looking at the bits but I Not made : most probably sell it. I scratched built in the end after buying the Chinese cross section, which I must build. The kit seems a big :((( compared to the Chinese US ship. I sincerely wish you success! Hope all goes :))). Please keep the photos coming and prove to me it’s a great kit!!! But I think you will be modifying, adding etc bits…
I was hoping Corel updated this kit!!! Frustrating for everyone + price is not cheap.

I don't understand the manufactures today, of any two ships the Victory and Constitution both are still floating and able to have the interior viewed for accuracy to produce the best kits available yet we still get kits that lack any degree of true accuracy of the real ship.

I don't understand the manufactures today, of any two ships the Victory and Constitution both are still floating and able to have the interior viewed for accuracy to produce the best kits available yet we still get kits that lack any degree of true accuracy of the real ship.
If it weren't for books like Bugler's and others and posted photos, we'd be left to our imaginations like the folks at Corel, and to some degree, the folks at D'Agostini, have done with the cross section and VASA models.

I don't understand the manufactures today, of any two ships the Victory and Constitution both are still floating and able to have the interior viewed for accuracy to produce the best kits available yet we still get kits that lack any degree of true accuracy of the r

Sorry I have been remiss in updatjng this BL. Since my last entry earlier this month, I have had to do a lot of demo and reconstruction both inside and outside the hull. Not only is the hull not long enough as it is with other kits, it is too short. The height between the upper gun deck and quarterdeck, if built following the plans would be about 4' if I am figuring it correctly. I'm glad I built the full ship (Mamoli) and can use it as a ready reference. The cut out is for the gun port. Main mast will be just left of it and in line with the port and starboard entries. Replanking inside and out will cover the opening to put the gun port in the proper position vertically and fore and aft. The top of the extension (upper left). Painting of the bands will continue after the planking is done.hull extension.jpgis the level of the quarterdeck.

One of the best things I ever did was, during a visit to London to visit with friends, I took a day trip to Portsmouth and took several hundred photos of her in situ. Amazing how low the actual head clearance is below decks. As someone who's 6'-2" tall, I managed to wallop my head a few times while paying more attention to what I was photographing, as opposed to remembering to duck while moving. lol

Back in London, I visited the Cutty Sark, as well as the Greenwich Observatory, and next door the naval collection of admiralty models. So much ship building history.
I am also tall and came away with a stiff neck and a couple of bumps, but what a fantastic day it was. I jokingly said to one of the guides that they must have been smaller in those times and she said that the ship's carpenter at the time of Trafalgar was 6'4"!

As part of the current restoration the entire interior and exterior of the Victory was laser mapped in the minutest detail. This may one day lead to a more accurate model; or maybe it's cheaper to leave it to the modeller to sort things out?

Last edited:
Back