HMS Victory Heller 1/100

I haves question regarding colours, the black is ok, but what is the yellow in tamiya paint and the interior M2 what is that? I have only sourced Tamiya here in Thailand so far.

Hello Jock! ...and yet another Victory kit and great scale to present details. If you don't mind, I will watch as you progress in the build. By the way, there are many aftermarkets PE (photo etched) parts for this kit. They are generally expensive, but for sure will add uniqueness and great details to the model. Please take a look.

(click link)

Please post photos as you build, we are waiting for them!! Let it be Victory!!

I have the following reference material

A nice collection of documentation, which will help you very much to make historically more correct model. Especially the Victory, with all the changes, restorations, repairs and refittings and with this, she changed her appearance very often - we will follow with big interest
PS: I will make in the next days a Book Review of the McGowan book (the black one shown in Jocks photo) and the Victory book from Bugler......photos are made already!

Priced the Bugler book $650+ a bit on the high side for me
Be patient, than you can get maybe a much cheaper copy - I got mine for 150Euro......if it is worth to search and buy a copy? Let´s see with the Book Review and Look Inside

I will look into the yellow for you. I assume that Tamiya is the only brand available?...and what is M2?

From the HMS Victory website museum, seems like the yellow has different shades. Not sure if it is daylight going this, but this is a list of shades of yellow I would use. They are all spray paints. No brush on. Sprays only have the variety and you should use spray anyways.
All are Tamiya paints from the Tamiya USA website.
PS-52 champagne gold
PS-56 mustard yellow
PS-19 camel yellow
TS-3 dark yellow
TS-46 light sand
The deck is going to be a shade of a gray. I hope this helps.
Not sure what the TS is. You certainly do not want metallic. You might also have to use a dulling spray to flatten it if it is too glossy.

Thanks Donnie Tamiya is the only hobby paint I have been able to source so far. M2 is the interior colour of the hull shown on the drawings.

I noticed that the bulwarks and interior is some type of very light sandy tan color. Perhaps this TS-68 (even though it says for deck, it is just a color). It seems the deck of the Victory is actually some type of grayish color.

Trying to match the color from a video or a pic off the net is difficult as all monitors will display the color differently depending on the color temp of the monitor is set to. As your monitor ages, one of the Red, Green, Blue channels will start to dominate which can cause monitors to have a bluish or redish (pinkish tone to it).

I am not saying the I have a professional graphics monitor, but I do try to keep it calibrated the best I can - also the color label on the bottle itself is misleading. I suggest if you can, purchasing as many of the ones I mentioned so you can test it your self on the hull and bulwarks (that of course depends on how specific you want to be with it).

Last edited:
Timber that is exposed to the elements and nothing done to it will turn grey and become splintery. When a ship is at sea like the Victory would have been the decks were regularly "sanded" with something akin to a brick (most likely was)
The Victory has been "berthed" for more than a hundred years and the deck would not have received the attention that it would have as when at sea consequently it has greyed somewhat.
If the ship is going to be displayed as Nelson would have seen it then color the decks in a pale-ish Beige, kinda, split the difference.

PS. modellers buy plastic kits and make WW2 dioramas with them making the models look battle weary, curiously though one never sees a model ship, plastic or wood, made to look like it has sailed 10,000 miles across the oceans.

Eric,
My San Felipe looks aged and weary and all messed up and I didn’t even try to make it look worn out. ROTF

104 guns glued together now to cleanup paint and add sabots.

Attachments

• BED0ED94-DF48-4727-9301-3C4CD2527E15.jpeg
    BED0ED94-DF48-4727-9301-3C4CD2527E15.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2831A7FC-5546-440E-82F0-5AA557FF40CA.jpeg
    2831A7FC-5546-440E-82F0-5AA557FF40CA.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 4
Great to see once more the photo etched sheets from my friend Daniel Fischer called dafi

Back