HMS VICTORY the Middle Gun Deck

This deck had the smaller 24 pounder guns, the cooking stove was to make a hot meal for the odd 800 crew! and at the stern was the quarters for the Officers. When going into battle the partitions would be dismantled and stowed away with furniture etc to make more room for the gun crews. Another three decks to go so next the Upper Gun Deck.
Paul20200211_101023.jpg20200211_101053.jpg20200211_101106.jpg20200211_101116.jpg20200211_101157.jpg20200211_101148.jpg

This is really something rare when it comes to model building...and it looks great, very detailed! :)

Fantastic! You're just moving up the ship, can hardly contain myself, more, More, MORE!
Thanks for your encouraging reply, it's strange, I am getting a bit bored now and know when I finish the next deck it will be the last of the gun decks. Creating the Hull sides without bulkheads is quite difficult to create the shapes of the frames. Casting the gun barrels in resin is not a nice job but we must carry on for King and Country!
Paul

Hallo Paul,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your day - hope to see soon some update of your Victory

Hallo Paul,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your day - hope to see soon some update of your Victory
Thank you Uwe. I have been quite for the last few weeks over here in the UK. Bored with no holidays, cruises etc. Still working on the Upper Gun Deck and just making a mold to cast 30 cannon barrels with resin which I'm useless at!, it's a good thing that I have such a wonderful hobby.
Hope you and all our members are keeping well during these difficult times.
Paul

Are you making each deck a separate model for viewing, or going to stack top gun deck on lower one!

I like this deck by deck design, if done from keel up and placed side by side, people could really see what happens inside a ship of this design.

Are you making each deck a separate model for viewing, or going to stack top gun deck on lower one!

I like this deck by deck design, if done from keel up and placed side by side, people could really see what happens inside a ship of this design.

Hi Kurt
Thanks for your reply, yes after building HMS Victory Open Deck View I thought as most of the decks could not be seen I decided to build each deck separate. Been an interesting project and now nearly finished the Upper Gun Deck, then the Quarter Deck.
You have the exact idea I have had! to donate the decks to say a small Maritime Museum etc to be put on display with all areas labelled, and a description of each deck. It could be improved upon, repainted if desired etc.
I do not have the room to display myself so when finished I will offer the project to who would like it (if anybody want's it)
So keep healthy and Warm
Paul

Hi Paul,

Maybe this can be of help, it is a Dutch blog called Victory inside out. It shows the build of hms victory in layers like you do. It is a great concept and should be all but boring.

Thanks for your information Maarten
Had a good look, wonderful model but I think the exploded view at the beginning was not The Victory but a great model, very very unusual, shame it was all in Dutch. I went through to page 71 and went backwards and I'm sure the chap was building HMS Victory as a finished ship.
Please let me know if I am wrong.
Keep healthy
Paul

Hi Paul,
I just found your build of the decks of the Victory. And Maarten in the message before mentioned my build of the Victory,. Named "Victory Binnenste Buiten" It is a build like yours with all the 7 decks separate. But they are made in a way that I can put them all together forming the complete ship.
I made a build log on a dutch forum, because I am dutch. And yes it has a lot pages.
But you are wrong that it is a finished ship. Yes I started with a complete hull, but when a deck was finished I saw the upper part from the finished deck and started to detaileing the next deck. And that 7 times. So I have now 7 separated decks, fully detailed incl figures, but stacked together it is an complete ship.
There are some pictures of it on facebook. Made by Igor.
See:

Paul, what a great project. What is the scale, please. Have you posted a log on other levels?

Here are pictures of all the decks of the Victory. Scale 1:72 just as the Caldercraftmodel, from which I used the etched parts.
The hold
245-10-hold.jpg

The orlop
245-09-orlop.jpg

49682320233_a1c2aa5acc_3k.jpg

The lower gundeck with working rudder
245-08-lower.jpg

49682853096_2db2be6448_3k.jpg

The middle gundeck with lunchtime and sleeptime
245-07-middle.jpg

49682853156_ac544b3112_3k.jpg

The upper gundeck with war situation
245-06-upper.jpg

49682320533_5b1c2c1343_3k.jpg

The halfdeck and poopdeck
245-05-fore&Quarter.jpg

49682853521_b76e730230_3k.jpg

The day cabin of captain Hardy
245-04-kapitein.jpg

49682319918_1c497caf7d_3k.jpg

All decks together
245-11-overzicht.jpg

Last edited:
This deck had the smaller 24 pounder guns, the cooking stove was to make a hot meal for the odd 800 crew! and at the stern was the quarters for the Officers. When going into battle the partitions would be dismantled and stowed away with furniture etc to make more room for the gun crews. Another three decks to go so next the Upper Gun Deck.
PaulView attachment 132838View attachment 132842View attachment 132843View attachment 132844View attachment 132845View attachment 132846
You are doing excellent work with the small details and those with the tackle associated with the cannon carriages, over and over again. Do those gun stations also include the accessory equipment, tubs, shot, etc. . for each one? PT-2

Back