HMY Fubbs (1724)

very good progress ...... I am positive surprised how exact the shape of the frames are fitting to each other with your choosen sanding method of sanding the partners......I will try this once.
One question and hope it was not asked and answered before: Do you use a kind of rubber cement for fixing the paper on the wood? I am using "Fixogum" gor this kind of work.....

Hi Uwe,
Thanks, the frames do fit up well using this method. I use a repositionable spray adhesive by Loctite it is fast and easy to use. Any excess glue can be quickly removed with mineral sprits and it does not stain the wood.
Mike

The Frames continued:
The next set of photos shows the remaining frames to be installed and the installation of the first 16 frames. I used some 1/16” dowel rods to attach the frames to the keel.IMG_4560.JPGIMG_4561.JPGIMG_4562.JPGIMG_4563.JPGIMG_4564.JPGIMG_4565.JPGIMG_4566.JPGIMG_4567.JPGIMG_4568.JPGIMG_4569.JPGIMG_4570.JPGIMG_4571.JPGIMG_4572.JPG

Thanks Dave she is starting to look like a boat.
Mike

Thanks ADC,
It seems like the diverse types of ship models require different building methods, I enjoy trying different stuff on each model I build.
Mike

The Frames continued:
The next set of photos shows all the frames installed on the keel, they did require a lot of sanding but that was expected. I did not have to modify the original frames much and am satisfied with the results; the hull is a very strong structure.IMG_4574.JPGIMG_4575.JPGIMG_4576.JPG

Hi Dave
Thanks, it actually took about 6 or 7 weeks to frame the hull. I have several builds in various stages of construction. Are you still working on your Blandford cross-section?
Mike

The Bow Hawse Pieces:
Instead of hawse pieces Portia Takakjian used small blocks of wood contoured to the hull. The first blocks I used were too thin and had to be removed and replaces with thicker ones. The second set fit a lot better, using water soluble glue for framing is very helpful when you don’t get things right the first time. This is a few photos of the re-worked section.
IMG_4577.JPGIMG_4578.JPGIMG_4579.JPGIMG_4580.JPGIMG_4581.JPGIMG_4582.JPGIMG_4583.JPGIMG_4584.JPG

.........The second set fit a lot better, using water soluble glue for framing is very helpful when you don’t get things right the first time. .....

I learned it also....therefore I am using every time for such works at the hull water-based wooden glue......already twice with the La Salamandre I had to open glued joints :mad:

Hi Uwe, if you catch the problems early they are usually easy to fix. Most of my problems are caused by not taking enough care during the dry fitting.
Thanks for visiting my build log.
Mike

The Stern Framing:
The stern framing timbers were left a little oversize, installed and trimmed to fit.
I use a PanaVise when working on the bow and stern it gives you exceptional access to the work area. This is a few photos of the stern being assembled.
IMG_4589s.jpgIMG_4590.JPGIMG_4591.JPGIMG_4592.JPG

Thanks Dave,
I haven’t had any more problems with the framing than any other ship, the Portia Takakjian drawings have been acceptable so far.
Mike

Back