HMY Fubbs by AEW

aew

Staff member
Forum Moderator

HMY Fubbs

This build will be a step into a mostly unknown area, a plank on frame construction. The fact that I’m building it at all is thanks to Winston and Mike Shanks and it’s the 10th (and last) of a limited production run.
My sincere thanks to both for including me in this project.

The project started here:

PICT_F_0101P1060729.JPG

Even before receiving the kit I was aware that the documentation was in a different league to any of my previous kits so let’s start with that.

There were two large boxes in the parcel pictured above (in about an acre of bubble wrap) and I knew that there was a USB stick with instructions in there somewhere. Everything other than the frame pieces was labelled so it was relatively easy to find. A file titled ‘Assembly instructions’ seemed to be a reasonable place to start and opened with the following:

Introduction – Historical

His Majesty Yacht (HMY) Fubbs was laid down at Greenwich shipyards by Phineas Pett in 1682. By Royal Navy standards yachts would be the size of a typical harbor dispatch vessel or lightly armed gunboat. HMY Fubbs sported a keel length of only 63’ with at a specified 148 tons fully load ed. With a 21’ breadth and only 9’6” depth in hold these small ships carried a crew of up to 30 and could be armed with 8 – 12 3 pounders. Royal Yacht duties primarily consisted of tending to the affairs of the royal household. Charles II must have enjoyed yacht class vessels as he had 23 of them during his reign – more than any other English king. HMY Fubbs was the most lavish of his fleet of Royal Yachts. Visually, the hull of a Royal Yacht has the look of a 6th rate but is more akin to a ketch-rigged sloop. As such, she has a mizzen mast that passes through the small great cabin and no true orlop deck at all. As will be shown later, the stern ports are too close to the waterline and are not actually accessible from inside the ship. What look like stern quarter galleries are more like quarter badges. Most contemporary modelers and many artists tend to imagine HMY Fubbs as a larger ship than it really is due to the illusion created by the artistic style of the ship. Charles II employed well known Baroque period artists Van de Veldes younger and senior. Their artwork had a direct influence on the highly decorated HMY Fubbs. HMY Fubbs was named after the mistress of Charles II, the Duchess of Portsmouth, Louise de Keroualle. “Fubbs” was the nickname for Charles II mistress with the meaning of a chubby contemptuous child. HMY Fubbs remained in service for more than 80 years before being broken up in 1781. During that time, it went through 2 refits. One in 1701 and again in 1724. During the 1724 refit, most of her carvings were salvaged and replaced by painted frieze work. There is sufficient historical evidence on Royal Yachts to know they were lightly framed compared to other Royal Navy ships. It was noted that HMY Fubbs would require futtock riders to support the light frame timbers. While the specific duties of HMY Fubbs may not be known it is reasonable to expect the vessel was probably used for intimate entertainment purposes and fine dining. I would expect being a crew member on this ship would be rather plush duty.

One thing I wanted to check was how the frame templates would print. I assumed the drawings would have been printed on ‘Letter’ sized paper whereas I would be printing them on A4 paper.
One of the boxes contained a bag of pieces for frame 25, these were CNC cut so should match the printed template.
The printer decided the print was larger than the print area and defaulted to ‘Fit’. I changed it to ‘Actual size’ and, just to play safe, changed the paper orientation from ‘Auto’ to ‘Landscape’. That actually changed settings so I suspect ‘Auto’ might have printed on 2 portrait pages.
So, I crossed my fingers, selected current page, and clicked print. I’d used an old sheet of paper, thinking that A4 was wider than Letter (it’s about 1/4” narrower). The print looked reasonable, and the parts all lined up.

PICT_F_0102P1060733.JPG

The tops of the frames aren’t actually shown but everything does line up and the next picture shows frame 25 held with double sided sticky tape and glued together

PICT_F_0103P1060734.JPG

Time to see what’s involved with the first laser cut frame.
I printed the template for frame 25A and found it was clipped both top and bottom, but still showed the relative positions of the pieces.
At this point I needed to bevel the pieces of frame 25A and remove the char from the end grain. Mike recommends a spindle sander for this job. I don’t have a spindle sander, but I do have this:

PICT_F_0104P1060742.JPG

At this point, this is what I found, the port side upper frame piece 25A:

PICT_F_0105P1060737.JPG

Despite a search, I didn’t find the missing piece in the box. Neither did I find a matching piece of timber in all my stock. What I did find in the box was a bag containing 8 pieces marked ‘Dead wood’. The question was whether I could use one of those for a repair? A skim through the instructions, build logs and pictures showed me I needed 5. If I do need all 8, I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it!
I cut out a nice square rebate in the frame piece, cleaned up one of the deadwood pieces and glued it in the rebate.
Here’s how it looks after cutting off the excess and a bit of sanding.

PICT_F_0106P1060740.JPG

The side won’t be visible when it’s fitted.

Last edited:
A great start of this builing log - I am looking forward to see your work
It is everytime great to see, how different at the end (and also the ways) models of the same ship can be
I will follow with big interest

Last edited:
Progressing slowly (but picking up speed.)
I’m not brave enough to just stack the pieces so I’m following Mikes method, all be it one stack at a time, not four!
That is, gluing each of the full frames together on the appropriate template.

PICT_F_0201P1060751.JPG

When the glue has set, that frame can be glued on top of the stack.

For the next frame, the bottom ‘A’ pieces are easy to locate at this stage, the bottom centre is vertically above the bottom centre of previous frames.
The location of the upper pieces is more of a problem. Because of the different paper size, the tops of these pieces are not printed on the template. I opted to measure from the bottom corner of the piece to the bottom centre of the previous frame.

This was the setup for gluing on the ‘A’ frame:

PICT_F_0202P1060744.JPG

For the forward frames, the bottom centre points are in line. Lego is actually a very high precision toy. It’s great for keeping things square!

PICT_F_0203P1060743.JPG

I measured the frame width at the top of the template as 225 mm and positioned the pieces accordingly. It looks like I’m ½ a millimetre off centre, but I think that’s near enough.

PICT_F_0204P1060747.JPG

Frame 27 has now been added to the stack.

Last edited:
In the last post, I said “Progressing slowly (but picking up speed.)” After that I added frames 27A, 28, 28A & 29.
This morning was spent dismantling frame 29! I know where it went wrong but how I failed to fix it is a mystery.

I assembled the frame on a printed template and the width of the frame was short. I decided I must have sanded the end grain of one or both of the bottom pieces at an angle. So, I ‘corrected’ them using a file and a sanding stick and glued all the pieces together.
This morning, when I test fitted the frame, it didn’t fit!
There were actually two problems. The two upper sections of frame 28A were too low down and my ‘correction’ to frame 29 hadn’t worked. That meant I had to unglue the upper sections of 28A and reposition them. One came off without too much trouble, the other took quite a while. Similarly, separating the two halves of frame 29 took a while.

This is where the bottom of frame 29 should be:

PICT_F_0301P1060752.JPG

I don’t remember sanding that much off!
Using measurements from the template, frame 29 was correctly positioned and the upper sections of 28A slotted under it:

PICT_F_0302P1060753.JPG

Now for the next puzzle!
Frame 30A is the last frame to sit squarely on the keel. Frames towards the stern are trimmed to meet the deadwood. The lower section of frame 30A seems to line up correctly with frame 29 – but the bottom projects 4mm into the keel.

PICT_F_0303P1060755.JPG

Sanding 4 mm off the bottom is easy, but here’s the puzzle.
The following diagram shows the distances of the bottoms of all the full frames from the keel:

PICT_F_0304frames.JPG

For frame 30, the distance should be 23.6 mm, which it is. But it won’t be if I sand off that 4 mm from 29A.

PICT_F_0305P1060756.JPG

The question is ‘are the distances for the remaining frames valid?’

Last edited:
OK, with help from Jodie and Mike S I've got to frame 37 and have a few jobs I can be doing before fitting the next frames.

This is the present state of play:

PICT_F_0401P1060765.JPG

PICT_F_0402P1060767.JPG

No, I haven't forgotten the deadwood between frames, but I am wondering why they're not fitted forward of frame 32.

PICT_F_0403P1060768.JPG

Last edited:
I’ve been studying Jodie’s build log on Ships of Scale showing the positioning of the wing transom & frames 37A and 38.

In my case, I positioned the fashion pieces based on the top of frame 37 and all the frames seemed to line up. However, the fashion pieces are not a good fit, although they can be flexed into position.

The following pictures show the transom and the frames dry fitted.

PICT_F_0501P1060769.JPG

PICT_F_0502P1060770.JPG

PICT_F_0503P1060771.JPG

I think the safest option will be to follow Jodie’s example and trim off 5.5 mm from the top of frame 38. That should also slightly improve the fits of the fashion pieces.

Last edited:
Where the fashion pieces and transom window section currently want to sit and where I think they should sit are two different places, so I decided to check the present state of play.
I started with the inner stern post. I’d removed the hull from the frame 25 template, which had a centre line on it, so I replaced it. Somewhere, I have a vintage plumb bob, but where that ‘somewhere’ is is a mystery! A pair of tweezers and some sticky tape sufficed as a substitute.

PICT_F_0601P1060772.JPG

That let me glue down the centre sections of frame 37A (but without gluing them to the inner sternpost).

PICT_F_0602P1060773.JPG

Next check was to see if frame 36 was correctly centred.
It was pretty close, about 2 mm towards the port side:

PICT_F_0603P1060774.JPG

The fashion pieces weren’t sitting down on frame 36, they were being held up by the stacks of frames 36A to 37A, which should each be 1.5”. The offending articles were the upper sections of frame 37A.
This should be 0.5”:

PICT_F_0604P1060776.JPG

An easy fix with the belt sander.
I subsequently checked the thickness of the lower sections of that frame (which I’d already glued down) and found they also were over thickness, but, in this case, that shouldn’t be a problem.

Next job was to get the fashion pieces to sit square on frame 36 and the wing transom.
A long flat sanding stick was all that was required to do this.

PICT_F_0605P1060781.JPG

At that point the fashion pieces extended too far above frame 36. Jodie’s recommendation is to limit this to 3 mm.

PICT_F_0606P1060779.JPG

Cutting a small wedge out of the top of frame 36A allowed the fashion piece to move down. The line marking the bottom of the window was re-drawn. (Not very accurately, it will be re-re-drawn.)

PICT_F_0607P1060783.JPG

Last edited:
Three bridges crossed – and burnt behind me.

First, the inner sternpost and deadwood was glued in place. At this stage the wing transom was dry fitted and the inner sternpost had been trimmed to just meet it. (It’s length should be 142.2 mm and it’s actually 141 mm. If I’d started with this measurement and worked upwards, that would have resolved the location of the fashion pieces!)

PICT_F_0701P1060788.JPG

The second step was the big one, gluing the fashion pieces and transom windows in place. That is, in the place I wanted it and not in the place it wanted to go. The actual differences involved were probably only a millimetre or so but made a significant difference to the fairing.
A selection of clamps was required. I think the odd one out may be older than me!

PICT_F_0702P1060786.JPG

Step three was nice and simple.
You may have noticed in picture 0701 that I’d cut a notch in the wing transom for the sternpost. The notch is in the centre of the wing transom, but that isn’t glued in place so the stern post position can be adjusted by moving the wing transom.
This picture shows the wing transom glued in place and adjusted such that the sternpost lines up with the transom window frame. (The sternpost isn’t glued in place.)

PICT_F_0703P1060785.JPG

Last edited:
This post is mainly for your amusement.
The next job was to build the Counter:

PICT_F 0801P1060789.JPG

As you can see, I've gathered together the parts required.

Well, not quite.
Looking at mine and other models, the inner lower counter requires several planks, not just the one.
The bottom part of this area needs to be shaped to match the bottom of the hull so it was possible there was a precut piece, or pieces in the kit.

After at least half an hour searching through packets, boxes and tubes, I failed to find any additional counter pieces!
After some further time considering what my options were, the penny dropped. Even then, having decided what I was missing, I had to physically check I'd solved it.

Spot the difference:

PICT_F 0802P1060790.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments and feedback.

After returning from holiday, it should have been a simple case of picking up where I left off, but the sequence I followed could have been better.
The first job was to fit the inner lower counter planks (now that I'd found them). This little gadget just fitted inside the hull:

PICT_F 0901P1060843.JPG

I transferred the profile to a piece of cardboard and, after a little bit of trimming, on to the planks:

PICT_F 0902P1060844.JPG

If you look at the picture above, you'll see I've also fitted the stern post and the counter knees. I subsequently found a post of Jodie's (August 28th) detailing some required modifications to the wing transom and the counter knees.
The rebate in the wing transom needed to be enlarged and the stern post was slightly obstructing this, but not seriously.
The counter knees needed to be reshaped to prevent the upper counter planking obstructing the windows. A relatively easy job before they were fitted, but one that took some time with them in position and using a very sharp chisel. The following picture shows them finishing a plank thickness below the bottom of the windows.

PICT_F 0903P1060845.JPG

The next pictures show that the planking is now flush with the bases of the widow frames.
For the moment, I'm planking over the hole for the rudder:

PICT_F 0904P1060846.JPG

PICT_F 0905P1060848.JPG

Last edited:
I could see that the next job was going to be a bit of a challenge - fitting the keelson. To be more precise, bending it to shape prior to fitting it. I've bent plenty of wood for previous models, mostly by soaking them in water and progressively bending them into position or round a former, but nothing the size of this! (10m x 10 mm).

However, before bending it I needed to put 45 degree chamfers on the two top edges. A couple of passes on the router table sorted that out:

PICT_F_1001P1060849.JPG

I decided to try bending the keelson in position. The following pictures show the setup.

PICT_F_1002P1060851.JPG

Note the plastic under the keelson to keep the water off the frames. (The Lego is loosely clipped in place to keep the clamp from falling sideways whilst positioning it.)

This next picture is actually a more recent one to show what's holding things up:

PICT_F_1003P1060855.JPG

With this arrangement I could brush water on the keelson and progressively screw down the clamp. (I later noticed the steel disc on the clamp was staining the wood, so I folded the plastic back between it and the keelson).
By evening, the Keelson was clamped hard down in contact with the frames.
The following morning, with the clamp removed, the keelson lifted away from the frames but could be pressed back into position.

The nails for the keelson were supplied with the kit. They are 1.25 mm diameter and there were 13 supplied, so that's one in every other frame. I marked the positions for the nails and drilled 1.2 mm holes, applied glue to the underside of the keelson and clamped it in place. I then nailed it in down.
The clamp was obstructing one hole. I could either wait until the glue dried or temporarily remove the clamp. I opted for the latter option and here's the result:

PICT_F_1004P1060854.JPG

Last edited:
First of all, here are a couple of pictures showing the completed counter planking:

PICT_F_1101P1060866.JPG

PICT_F_1102P1060867.JPG

No, this next picture isn't a repeat of picture PICT_F_1004, but it is a repeat of the method. In this case, bending the two limber strakes.
Note the packing pieces either side of the keelson.

PICT_F_1103P1060856.JPG

When I tested the fit of the limberboard covers, I didn't like the way they fitted. I read in someone's build log that they'd reduced the thickness of the strakes. I can't now find that entry, but thanks to whoever it was because that worked for me.
I ran the strakes across the router to thin down about 2/3 the width of each strake then changed the bit to a flush cutting one. I could then turn over the strakes and remove the remaining 1/3 flush with the previous cuts. This had the added benefit of making it much easier to bend the strakes!
The piece of scrap plywood served as a spacer between the keelson and the strake.

PICT_F_1104P1060858.JPG

There are supposed to be two strakes on each side, so there should be two rows of nails. I've a pretty good stock of panel pins, but I only found one box of pins small enough for this job. I pre-drilled 0.8mm holes using a simple guide.

PICT_F_1105P1060860.JPG

Long ago I bought one of those gadgets for pushing pins in. It's sat at the back of a drawer for most of it's life, but I thought 'maybe it will do this job'.
It's back in the drawer, it wouldn't fit over the nail heads! However, I did find a security bit with a hole a short way up the centre which allowed me to press the nails into the pre-drilled holes.

PICT_F_1106P1060862.JPG

And this shows it fitted:

PICT_F_1107P1060864.JPG

Just another row of nails to go!

Last edited:
Time to do some more planking, with some planks I'd never heard of - foot waling planks!
The areas to be planked are bounded by two other planks, with a simple name this time, 'thick stuff'. The parts list shows that 54 brass nails are supplied, but I couldn't find these. My stash includes some nice copper nails (which are blunt ended rather than pointed), so I opted to use these. That meant drilling pilot holes in both the thick stuff and the frames. The number of nails listed suggest either a nail in every frame or two nails in every other frame. I opted for the latter.

The full size planking is in 24 foot lengths which is a scale length of 12 inches. The planks supplied are actually 11 7/8 inches long. That doesn't matter, but there's something to be aware of, the lengths of the first and last sections are not the same, so if you want your trenaiis to line up, it matters which way round you lay your planks. The distance from the penultimate trenail to the plank end should be 1 inch. At one end it's 15/16 inches, at the other it's 1 1/16 inches. As long as you match a short end against a long end the overall alignment will work.

PICT_F_1201P1060875.JPG

A 24 foot plank and a 3 shift pattern means the plank ends are 8 feet apart. They should be laid from the stern forward, not from frame 25, but they should be tapered from frame 25 towards the stern.
Here's how they look:

PICT_F_1202P1060869.JPG

I have a flush cutting saw which made trimming the plank ends off an easy task:

PICT_F_1203P1060870.JPG

After fitting the forward limberboard covers, I got out the matt black paint and dealt with the nail heads!

PICT_F_1204P1060872.JPG

A couple of days ago, a neighbour asked how things were progressing. I showed her some of Mike S's pictures and the various carvings.
In a box labelled 'Fragile' I found a packet labelled 'Thick stuff nails'.
Fragile nails?

Last edited:
Amazing job you are doing Arthur !!!!. Thank you for showing a lot of details.

Daniel

Back