HO scale

Since I also model HO trains, I would love a nice HO boat kit.

A tug or fishing boat would be nice, something halfway modern would probably be most popular.

But a nice museum display model for sea side display would be good also.

There are several ways to get questions out to modelers via magazines and web groups, Facebook and other as well to try to get a feel for need.

David did you ever get to point of designing an HO kit?

I know there are a few being sold in MR magazines and sales stores.

I think they are all solid hull style. A tug or small fishing boat.

This should be interesting. I think this scale would be a perfect match for diorama making. A lot of stuff to be found in model railroad stores.
Thinking of a lumber loading port or a sawmill. Maybe even a model of a ore loading terminal or oil-jetty?

What I wrote in my 1:96 Robert E. Lee build-log: Size does matter!
But everything depends on: your eyes, your hands, your material, your tools and your abilities.
Within that range, you have to decide (or try) for yourself what is possible.
You find your limit or try to go behind. And when something so small succeeds, it gives a trill.
In addition, of course, a lot of admiration for what others have gained.
To show it to someone else, it also saves if you know something about photography.
Regards, Peter

1:87 is a lot bigger than, say, the 1:96 Connie or Cutty Sark ( Revell Plastic kits), so there really shouldn't be a problem when it comes to building any ship in HO scale. And I too think it would be a great scale for dioramas. There are several warf side kits out there that just "scream" for a really nice ship to be pulled up along side.

Airfix Bounty is 1:87 and is a brilliant kit. Well supported by the AOTS book. The hull drawings and the kit are almost identical.
The kit is well suited to conversion to various merchant Brig's and Snows etc.

Very beautifull and fine art indeed. It seems to be many different scales rather than HO though. It fits my taste as I personally feel much more attracted to the 1:24 scale and the extremely small scales than 1:48 ,1:87 etc. The barge at the front page seems to be 1:24. The Britannia 1682 is apparently 1:192. The carving alone must be mission impossible and I can't even imagine making the rat lines. I guess the thread must be around 0.06 mm. Unbelievable.

I build model railroad and ships but in european 0-scale, 1:45.
There is not much in 1:45 either, but some in 1:50.

Back