Home made mini electric Drill - 9cm long

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Some days ago we discussed the possibilities of short and small electric drills.
Especially making treenails inside the hull, often you have not so much space for a dremel or Proxxon,
Until now I used here fore a handhold drill, but after some dozens or maybe hundred holes......

So I thought it is time for a short electric drill - so here you can see my new selfmade drill.
With switch on / off and fits into the plugs of my Proxxon MICROMOT mains adapter NG 5/E
Only 9 cm long...... I am not completely happy with the motor - axis - so I have to still improve it ....... but ......

IMG_4898.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

Only 9 cm long...... I am not completely happy with the motor - axis - so I have to still improve it ....... but ......
Hello Uwe, what are the ways for improvement, change the motor or? How about chuck tolerance?

Very nice, I like it! What info can you give, so I can source a motor in the UK. please. There's lots of jobs to be done with something like this.

Very nice, I like it! What info can you give, so I can source a motor in the UK. please. There's lots of jobs to be done with something like this.
Hallo,
I used a spare motor I had in my box - a very cheap one and nothing special - It was a trial if this is working.
Something like these:
I realized, that the bearing of the axis is not very good, so it is vibrating and deflecting. But I found out, that this idea is working
So my next trial will be with a much better electric motor, brushless etc.

Just a top-up.....I was so impressed with the £12 gizmo....I GOT ANOTHER!!!!!!!!

The unit I was talking about is twice that length, but substantially smaller than a Dremel. It comes with its own transformer/speed control and a proper good quality 3 jaw drill chuck. I got a second one to use the mini collet holder as above. It would be possible to swap the 'tool holder', but as they're so cheap, I don't think it extravagant to have two! (of course all the usual Dremel type tools fit). I have neither a Dremel or Proxon, so the extension shaft wouldn't screw onto this unit. I did make Jeronimo's version some years ago, but found it didn't have enough tourqe, though it did have its uses.

Back