Hornbeam

Just received my order from Sergey at Bibigon in Russia. The black hornbeam is exactly what I was looking for. It is BLACK. The pieces of wood are crisp and clean. I held them against pear wood and the contrast is powerful. I highly recommend Sergey to anyone looking for quality timber. He is also a gentleman, answering any and all of my questions in a very timely manner. Five weeks from Russia to Canada at Christmas time for delivery was also rather good I would say.
John

Good to know. Does this supplier have different wood then Dave at the Lumberyard? Price, quality and availability drive my buying decisions. I’m still waiting on a carving for my HMS Fly ordered Nov 24. It finally arrived at Pearson airport last Tuesday so looks like about 5 weeks as well. I’m fairly certain wood from Dave would arrive within a couple of weeks, though I have not yet ordered any wood some I’m just comparing to other orders from USA. 2-3 weeks seems to be the norm.

Bibigon wood quality is superb,take a look here

Good to know. Does this supplier have different wood then Dave at the Lumberyard? Price, quality and availability drive my buying decisions. I’m still waiting on a carving for my HMS Fly ordered Nov 24. It finally arrived at Pearson airport last Tuesday so looks like about 5 weeks as well. I’m fairly certain wood from Dave would arrive within a couple of weeks, though I have not yet ordered any wood some I’m just comparing to other orders from USA. 2-3 weeks seems to be the norm.
Shipping charges from the states to Canada are obscene. For example from Ohio to Ontario shouldn’t be very expensive given the short distance to cross the border. Not so. Very expensive. Having said that the shipping charges from Russia were quite dear also. This, however I can justify. The distance alone is obvious. Then there is shipping from the UK. Extremely reasonable and fair. I guess it boils down to how much you want the item for sale as to whether the cost of getting it to you is justified.

I tend to only order from Amazon, free shipping or when my order is large enough for free shipping. I haven’t found the charges to be too bad, certainly not great but if I want something I’ll order it. o_O

I tend to only order from Amazon, free shipping or when my order is large enough for free shipping. I haven’t found the charges to be too bad, certainly not great but if I want something I’ll order it. o_O
Amazon is nice, but I guess you will not get hornbeam strips via amazon - so you have to contact a wood dealer.
I can also fully recommend the service of @bibigon - the quality of timber is extremely good and also the shipping costs are very reasonable. Sergey tries every time to get the best and cheapiest postage organized.......

Amazon is nice, but I guess you will not get hornbeam strips via amazon - so you have to contact a wood dealer.
I can also fully recommend the service of @bibigon - the quality of timber is extremely good and also the shipping costs are very reasonable. Sergey tries every time to get the best and cheapiest postage organized.......
I think the biggest difference is where you live, if North America then US based providers, Europe then any EU, Russia, China providers.

I would like to add my praise of Sergey at Bibigon in Russia. I received my first batch of pear and black hornbeam and quality is fantastic. Price is fair, delivery within 2 weeks and service is polite and professional. We communicated in english and emails were answered within 24 hours.

18.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to add my praise of Sergey at Bibigon in Russia. I received my first batch of pear and black hornbeam and quality is fantastic. Price is fair, delivery within 2 weeks and service is polite and professional. We communicated in english and emails were answered within 24 hours.

View attachment 221638
Very Good quality for a very reasonable price, combined with professional communication and service ...... Happy Modeler and Happy Modeling

Back