How an 18th Century ship operates

This excellent video describes in detail an18th Century ships construction along with inner and outer workings. It is a must see for all model ship builders….

The work that went into this is incredible I came here specifically to post a link after watching it and was delighted to see someone already had. I agree 100%, everyone who is interested in 18th Century ships should watch this.

Excellent Video! It’s incredible how much thought and engineering went into the building and operation of these old vessels. What an education! Thank you for posting it.

That excellent video ended up with the setting of sails. Here's one that shows how those sails were (and are) used to actually maneuver the ship. The ship is turned primarily by moving the sails, with the rudder serving basically as a trim tab. I had no idea. I had a chance to actually take part in these maneuvers aboard The Pride of Baltimore II on a "guest crew" sail.

Until you watch a video such as this you have not idea how complex square riggers were to sail or the skill the Skipper had to have. Great video. Thanks.

Back