How do you display your ships?

Sid Barras

Now that I’ve completed my first build, the question arises “How do I display it?”
Of course it can be set upon the dining room table as long as the war department can tolerate it, but...
it’s obviously a dust collector, like my old bowling trophies. But a flat, soft-bristle paint brush like I use on my old plastic models to dust them , off ain’t going to work here. Too much rigging.
And I just looked at plexiglass, and creating a box to surround the ship. Yikes. $179.00 US dollars for a sheet of the cheapest clear acrylic sheet 4 feet x 8 feet. And I’d use almost all of that for this one model.
Any insight or alternatives?

Olivers Historic Shipyard

In my opinion a showcase is an obrigation for a model like our ships. This one i made for my first project, the Gjoa. It´s glass.
The problem is, that the details now are far away. You cant get close enough with the eyes to explore the model. My next case i will plan different. When i have visit or interested persons i can remove the case to show the model from near. The problem of glass is the weight. I will switch to high quality acryl.

1569994475321.png

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

Jimsky

Staff member

@janos I like the idea of the glass cabinets. Very nice collection of build models, and BTW nice collection of trophies!! What competitions have you participated? Do you participate, still?

Squarebriggs

I agree with Charles QC. Acrylic display cases are a reasonably priced solution to the dust problem. I have a local company custom make mine for my models, they are much lighter than glass and less prone to damage.

Bob

janos

@janos I like the idea of the glass cabinets. Very nice collection of build models, and BTW nice collection of trophies!! What competitions have you participated? Do you participate, still?
Hi Jim,
These glass cabinets are used by jewellers and in stores selling small items. Very handy, glass all the way around and they come with their own lighting too.
I usually participate in the annual exhibitions of the Sydney and Canberra ship model builders, sometimes on the Port Macquarie one, and once only on the Sydney Easter Show. Hence the trophies (not all are shown only, they would cover the models and carvings themselves :p)
Janos

Last edited:

stuglo

I also use perspex/acrylic - cut to size simply by the supplier who scores it then "breaks it over an edge rather like a tile - but with more expertise than I can. I "stick " the edges with chloroform applied as a liquid with a paint brush. I use a wooden or mdf base. Sizes from small to 1300x90 without problem.

Charles QC

source for wooden base displays?
Well usually any hobby store do have sourcing to build them
Another way is if you have a modeller club near you they must know a place
Most of the time artisan will be present for an exposition so check for one

stuglo

for ease and reduced cost (perspex is expensive here) no wooden frame, and just simple floor- even an old kitchen cabinet door cut to size. I kid myself that the masterful wooden cabinets or fancy bases detract from the ship itself.

IMG_20191006_203607.jpgIMG_20191006_203532.jpgIMG_20191006_203512.jpg