How to simulate weld seams in a steel hull?

you could try super glue and baking soda

run a bead of glue where you want the seam the sprinkle a little backing soda on the glue depends on how big you want the seam you can apply more glue on the backing soda.

if the seam is to big you san lightly sand it

Last edited:
Thanks guys for nice suggestions. Superglue and baking soda might work, but problem would be how to apply it so that the seam has even width and it would build a nice curve along the entire hull. I am still open for more suggestions.

After having thought of this problem intensively, I finally tried the method suggested by Uwe.

The hull is made of wooden planks in the common way, smoothed with filler and sanded and then covered with thin glassfibre fabric & epoxy. So I spreaded one more thin layer of epoxy on the hull and applied very thin sewing thread wetted with epoxy on still wet surface. When pulling the thread straight it located itself very nicely on the hull, and after curing simulates perfectly welding seams. So the problem seems to be solved.

Thank you very much guys for your suggestions, and especially Uwe, whose method proved this time to be the best!

I am building a model of an open steam launch. The original hull has been made of steel by welding, leaving the seams of steel plates visible. I wonder how can I simulate these horizontal welds at my hull like in attached photo?View attachment 220957
Just saw your post - brings back memories of my time sailing on a vessel with a 'Triple Expansion' steam engine. Just an idea; soak some thread in PVA, then lay it where you want to simulate the weld.

Lloyd

In plastic modeling you would lay a length of styrene rod or stretched sprue in the seam and soften it with Tamiya Extra thin or any MEK plastic welder then work the bead with a knife to simulate the bead. Id use putty of some kind that can be worked. Mask the bead thickness so the putty stays exactly where you want the bead to be then work it with whatever tool you can to simulate the bead.

In plastic modeling you would lay a length of styrene rod or stretched sprue in the seam and soften it with Tamiya Extra thin or any MEK plastic welder then work the bead with a knife to simulate the bead. Id use putty of some kind that can be worked. Mask the bead thickness so the putty stays exactly where you want the bead to be then work it with whatever tool you can to simulate the bead.
This is worth making a note of for future reference.

You might check out Archer Transfers. They have a variety of surface detail transfers including weld beads. I've used some of their rivet transfers on my model RR

Back