How to tie single hole blocks

Hi there I will apologise in advance for my question. Looking for diagrams on tying one and two hole blocks together. If that makes any sense I have tied the recess of the block but wanting to join the blocks together am I right in thinking I have to tie a knot above the block then go in through the hole then to the next block then I’m stuck. Thanks in advance
Drill a second hole in the one ole blocks. One hole blocks look terrible anyway.

Hi Sutty, I have been following this thread with great interest and whilst I am not an expert it seems to me the reason no-one has a definitive answer is that ships were not rigged like this. There is no practical reason for using blocks if the rigging does not have to "run". Most ships use dead-eyes or hearts in circumstances where the ropes provide tension but don't need to move. The blocks in your picture look like they would have hauled up a yard or some such weight and would therefore have been rove down from the top block and belayed somewhere. Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Hi Sutty, I have been following this thread with great interest and whilst I am not an expert it seems to me the reason no-one has a definitive answer is that ships were not rigged like this. There is no practical reason for using blocks if the rigging does not have to "run". Most ships use dead-eyes or hearts in circumstances where the ropes provide tension but don't need to move. The blocks in your picture look like they would have hauled up a yard or some such weight and would therefore have been rove down from the top block and belayed somewhere. Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
Yeah I’m just trying to do my best on the blocks occre supply

Hi there I will apologise in advance for my question. Looking for diagrams on tying one and two hole blocks together. If that makes any sense I have tied the recess of the block but wanting to join the blocks together am I right in thinking I have to tie a knot above the block then go in through the hole then to the next block then I’m stuck. Thanks in advance
I think this makes it clear

IMG_0526.JPG

Then I suppose it's tied off at the bottom of the block if it's not going to a belaying pin.

Then I suppose it's tied off at the bottom of the block if it's not going to a belaying pin.
It all depends on the purpose of the tackle. There is usually a cleat or a belaying pin to which the free end is tied. Rarely is a rope tied off to itself. The ships rigging plan will tell you where ends are tied off to.

It all depends on the purpose of the tackle. There is usually a cleat or a belaying pin to which the free end is tied. Rarely is a rope tied off to itself. The ships rigging plan will tell you where ends are tied off to.
It's just the 2 blocks tied together.

It's just the 2 blocks tied together.
Sutty, The tackle must have a purpose; but then I am thinking you may actually be referring to fiddle blocks or more likely the sheet/lift block arrangement slung on the end of yards
If the latter then the single sling rope is seized together between the two blocks with the end loop hooking over the end of the yard.

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

Hi Peter. If you can see the pictures I posted earlier on in this post. You can see it's the Occre model of the Flying Dutchman so it will not be a true representation of how ships were correctly rigged. In the instructions it called for two single blocks to be tied together.

Hi Peter. If you can see the pictures I posted earlier on in this post. You can see it's the Occre model of the Flying Dutchman so it will not be a true representation of how ships were correctly rigged. In the instructions it called for two single blocks to be tied together.
Yes, your picture represents the shifting backstays. Though the kit does not show a belay/cleat termination, there would have been one even if the ship is fictitious. Its up to you if you want to model them correctly or per the instructions.....

Yes, your picture represents the shifting backstays. Though the kit does not show a belay/cleat termination, there would have been one even if the ship is fictitious. Its up to you if you want to model them correctly or per the instructions.....
Hi Peter, I will stick to the plans made by Occre.

Back