I give up

I am a newbie to this hobby as well. I have to say that the few times I posted a question on this site I received many good suggestions. I also have a build log going and received a lot of encouragement. Ultimately as a newbie you have to make your own decision as to the model to begin with. The internet provides plenty of avenues to get information to make an informed decision on how to start in this hobby. Perhaps a good idea would be to add to this site is a list of suggested first models, especially models that have build logs here which could be used as a reference . Something I would welcome is a beginner group build.
Group builds are going to be scarce because there are so many different style of ship to choose from, and everyone has their own favorites. Pretty much everyone has projects going on their own. Most of the build is research, not building. Some people think building a traditional model sailing ship just means following the directions in a kit. Most kits disappoint them in this regard, since they assume you know how to shape wood, paint, and other skills. Other people assume they can just whack out a beginner level kit without any model experience and give up for lack of patience when they find out what a real commitment means. The ones who choose a kit to start, then gather as much knowledge from guy on boards like this, buy several books for reference, learn what tools they need and which ones work best for them, and continuously ask questions AFTER searching the forums for answers and coming up short, and have the focus, desire, patience and persistence to see the ship finished are the ones that make modelers. Very many people fall short of the mark.

I am a newbie to this hobby as well. I have to say that the few times I posted a question on this site I received many good suggestions. I also have a build log going and received a lot of encouragement. Ultimately as a newbie you have to make your own decision as to the model to begin with. The internet provides plenty of avenues to get information to make an informed decision on how to start in this hobby. Perhaps a good idea would be to add to this site is a list of suggested first models, especially models that have build logs here which could be used as a reference . Something I would welcome is a beginner group build.
In fairness, a simple Google search comes up with so many suggestions of first models, depending on your skill set. For me, I have done some simple wood carving (and so have those tools), did a sold hull from Bluejacket 30+ years ago for a lark, many plastic models years ago, and built a wood frame / canvas covered kayak from plans, which included lots of steaming. So, I picked the Lady Nelson for a first ship. That analysis was not hard, and without that lengthy introduction, nobody could have advised me well about a first kit. I am also confident that if I muck something up, I can reverse engineer a fix with your help. And my first ship won't be accepted for display at the local marine museum. Or maybe it will. So, in short, I agree that Glockexe seemed to expect too much, and good communication would have been aided by, as many have said, splitting the post into different topics so responders don't feel inclined to ride madly off in all directions. I enjoy my recent membership here.

As with most hobbies you need patience. When you make a bad looking part take it apart and fix it. It's wood, all can be repaired if you want to. I'm on my 3rd ship now the USS Niagara. A very big difference from the Amati Viking ship I did first. I have 45 years doing all types of wood working and wanted something that took the most time to complete and I think this is it.

This forum, as well as MSW, have always provided tremendous support to me and the SOS community at large. As all here can attest, ship modeling is a patience game, and Mr. Glockexe will have to come to that realization sooner or later. In any case, I do believe the community has served him well here - well above and beyond.

Hello ,
I am a noob too compared to the experts and awesome modellers in this forum.
You have to want to build something dear to you and all the obstacles are a challenge to overcome.
I use only hand tools and work in a small space ,its a learning curve and if you dont like it redo and repeat till happy.
Lot of help here and start with something manageable.
You dont learn to drive with a formula 1 car !
Good luck
Daniel

I really got interested in the HMS VICTORY for a lot of reasons. My grandson enjoyed my stories re this ship and its history a lot. I asked him if he would like a model ship and he did. So I bought the VICTORY kit by Corel.
I haven’t built any models for years and this was a challenge. I started it, got frustrated and did a lot of research. I realized the model detail was so lacking in it accuracy of the ship when I obtained the actual plans and specs of the VICTORY. This caused me to rip apart a great deal of what I had built in order to make the accuracy I wanted. SOS saved me so much time in trying to solve problem areas. Donnie even offered help when I was diagnosed with cancer and was afraid that I would not have time to finish. SOS mentors helped and I look upon the members all as a model building family. So I can only say Glockexe is not really wholly interested in doing a build.
SOS mentors and members keep up the GREAT help for serious beginners and experts alike.

It’s the same with any Forum, some members are better than others to answer a question and that should not discourage you from your interest. Exactly like when you shop in your neighborhood store, you find some salesman more willing to be helpful than others. I’m also a beginner (never built a model before) and I’m still here in this wonderful forum (2 years since my first post} still reading and learning. You should try to be persistent and don’t be discouraged with negative post or posts with no answer. Keep trying and eventually you will see the light at the other end. Good luck.

Oh, I might add I am doing well with the ailment, finished the VICTORY and now working on the Occre HMA TERROR. It is a real challenge also so I am looking forward to talking with you all with problem solving.7A906BAC-C3BE-43A7-A0D7-9902243EFF5C.jpeg

Last edited:
I dont post very often. But instead read comments made in most threads. I think its called research...look for your own answers. Sadly some people are very lazy and want everything now. I can understand why some may become frustrated by being asked the same question day after day by different "new boys"...
Perhaps the phrase "I refer you to my previous answer" could be used on a more frequent basis !

there is a lot of good advice offered in this topic so I think it should be redone as a guild for beginners.

So I can only say Glockexe is not really wholly interested in doing a build.

I kind of got that impression myself, seems there was a hidden agenda to make the forum look bad and then he is gone.

Oh, I might add I am doing well with the ailment, finished the VICTORY and now working on the Occre HMA TERROR. It is a real challenge also so I am looking forward to talking with you all with problem solving.View attachment 154451
I should think of it. At last a style of pictures that always makes your model look good.

Seriously, the question of this, and probably other forums being too qualified or too professional looking, is something I often heard from people at IPMS. I personally like to look at models that are far from perfect: it encourages me to think that...I can do better. And then there are these models of which I think "I'll never be able to do that". I think for instance of this wonderful Russian steamboat (see build log on this forum, or the Royal Catherine by Doris (on a few other forums). These models are still inspiring anyway, aren't they?

there is a lot of good advice offered in this topic so I think it should be redone as a guild for beginners.

So I can only say Glockexe is not really wholly interested in doing a build.

I kind of got that impression myself, seems there was a hidden agenda to make the forum look bad and then he is gone.
HE can't make the forum look bad, Dave, only WE as a group can. I think he managed to make himself look bad, and if his intent was to be an instigator for dissent, that's all he accomplished, other than give us all something interesting to talk about. There will be many others who come to the forum thinking that building a model sailing ship is easy and requires little effort, only be disappointed by their unrealistic expectations. Many fewer will be those looking to troll the forum. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. At least the ones interested in learning will stick around long enough to understand what it takes to build. It's up to them to provide the character required to see the job through. No one should expect someone else to hold it for them when they pee.

Oh, I might add I am doing well with the ailment, finished the VICTORY and now working on the Occre HMA TERROR. It is a real challenge also so I am looking forward to talking with you all with problem solving.View attachment 154451
Your model Victory looks great. There are few ships that look as stately and proud as HMS Victory. It was a surprise to me to learn how much modification was required with Corel's La Couronne, but it taught me quickly that the improvements we add make a world of difference, and that scratch building is not as terrifying as first appears as long as you do the reading required to teach you what to do and how to do it. The information is all here on the forum and the search engine is rather good at ferreting out what you're looking for.

How often have we begun a search on this forum, and saw some jewel of a ship build or other topic that takes us on a reading spree for an hour?

Your model Victory looks great. There are few ships that look as stately and proud as HMS Victory. It was a surprise to me to learn how much modification was required with Corel's La Couronne, but it taught me quickly that the improvements we add make a world of difference, and that scratch building is not as terrifying as first appears as long as you do the reading required to teach you what to do and how to do it. The information is all here on the forum and the search engine is rather good at ferreting out what you're looking for.

How often have we begun a search on this forum, and saw some jewel of a ship build or other topic that takes us on a reading spree for an hour? You'd think ship research was the hobby and not ship model building...

I would hope to be able to do a model of a ship related to the search for a Northwest Passage, either the Terror or the St. Roch, by Billings. I read the stories about the Terror with great interest.

I would hope to be able to do a model of a ship related to the search for a Northwest Passage, either the Terror or the St. Roch, by Billings. I read the stories about the Terror with great interest.
I just saw the television series. It was good except they made the polar bear appear like the alien from John Carpenter's The Thing. :rolleyes:

Back