• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

I got my Unicorn (ZHL) Ropewalk up and running: here's my first impressions plus video.

About the laying direction of rope I like to invite you to read the following :)

Everything about rope direction of lay

The Myth of left-handed hawser rope [in Ship Modelling]

cheers Dirk
 
So these chinese designed a machine to make rope with more then 3 strands without core? Then they don't understand the process of making rope or they forget to copy the machine correct. Even a 4 strand rope needs a core. Without, the strands will not lay nice next to eachother. Hope you succeed to find a way to add a core strand.
 
So these chinese designed a machine to make rope with more then 3 strands without core? Then they don't understand the process of making rope or they forget to copy the machine correct. Even a 4 strand rope needs a core. Without, the strands will not lay nice next to eachother. Hope you succeed to find a way to add a core strand.
Hello, just curious but what ropes require a core? Is it for the anchors?
 
Hello, just curious but what ropes require a core? Is it for the anchors?
See post #24 of Dirk or look here
The core is for rope with more strands then 3 to keep the shape round. Shroud laid got a core
 
Ah, okay, good, I thought you had replaced the existing clamps. In that case, yes, thrust bearings would help. I'm going to see if I can find a soda can to mutilate into a shim and see how that goes.
I am starting to think that maybe a gob or two of epoxy may just do the trick. I have to think about this a little more...
 
I am really thinking about replacing the shaft with something a little bit more well thought out. Bored through at least partially for a core, longer to fit through the other side of the main box. Maybe threaded on the left end for a to keep the bearing from moving.
 
I am really thinking about replacing the shaft with something a little bit more well thought out. Bored through at least partially for a core, longer to fit through the other side of the main box. Maybe threaded on the left end for a to keep the bearing from moving.
I wonder if you can buy something like that already made? I don't think I am going in that direction because I don't know if I will need a core strand for any of the projects that I will doing. Please correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking only anchor ropes use a core strand?
 
Please correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking only anchor ropes use a core strand?

You are wrong :) You will usually never need a four strand rope with core. No one will see the difference to a simple 3 strand hawser besides it was very very very very rarely used. And btw, why not just reading what I posted? It will answer all questions about rope ;-)

Dirk
 
Last edited:
This is why I am looking for Gutermann E-121 thread. Due to it's minimal twist you can use it to make right handed rope with this machine very easily.

I found a shop in Belgium that sells e121 thread (thread="garen" in Dutch). Maybe something of interest, but 10000 meter.. enough to last a lifetime of ship modeling.

 
You are wrong. You will usually never need a four strand rope with core. No one will see the difference to a simple 3 strand hawser besides it was very very very very rarely used. And btw, why not just reading what I posted? It will answer all questions about rope ;-)

Dirk
Oftentimes, there are so many messages that it is hard to figure out what is relevant to my questions. But thanks for the response.
 
Does the center shaft of the planetary ropewalk need to turn or should it be clamped? I clamped mine.
 
I still did not see anyone on this forum who liked a rope winding planetary machine. All I remember is that people wanted to sell one. They never were able to make it work for them. Well... Whatever the problems one has with it I would recommend to ensure all three or four threads are tensioned equally and the weight selected is heavy enough to make a straight rope.
 
Last edited:
I still did not see anyone on this forum who liked a rope winding planetary machine. All I remember is that people wanted to sell one. They never were able to make it work for them. Well... Whatever the problems one has with it I would recommend to ensure all three or four threads are tensioned equally and the weight selected id heavy enough to make a straight rope.
thanks Y.T.
I am just playing around with a ZHL machine because it's fun. I also have a vertical ropewalk machine and if I get nowhere with the orbital machine I'll just use the vertical ropewalk which I am told produces consistent results.
 
Back
Top