Make your rope on a rope walk

I did a lot of research on how to make rope on a rope walk and build my own rope walk. I love to share my experience with you.

The quality of the rope delivered in your kit is not always of high quality. Fluffy, badly made so that you can better use it to tie up your old paper than to rig your ship with. The colour is too bright and it detracts from the whole. It bothered me quite a bit and this prompted me to look for alternatives or brands that were nice. But these are mostly quite expensive, high shipping cost (depending on the country) and you are still dependent on what the supplier has to offer. Make rope by yourself is an option. You determine the quality, colour and appearance. The price is also manageable. I buy a spool, for example, of yarn for under €10.- ($ 11,-), I can make the rope for an entire ship on a scale of 1:75 and still have enough left over for the next ship. And believe me, it is also fun to do.

Ohla Batchvarov @shipphotographer.com was one of my inspirations to build my machine. My knowledge I found on al the internet and books I combined into a build of a machine that looks likes Ohla's machine. It works perfect and is very controllable.

Afb001.jpg

But first I want to tell you something about the history of ropes and how it was made the last few thousands of years. The method is still too today the same.
Rope has been made for centuries. A piece of ship's rope, which was already 2000 years old, was found during excavations of the Roman forts in Velsen (the Netherlands). U can find a picture of it here: tweeduizend-jaar-oud-touw The piece was about 30cm long and about 3cm thick. It was made of hemp, which makes it special because this material decays quickly. The composition was almost identical to the present day. Hemp has therefore been used for centuries to make rope and is particularly suitable for this purpose. The fibres are spun into threads and from these threads yarns are made by twisting them. In earlier times it was quickly discovered that rope twisted clockwise is the strongest rope. That is why you find mainly right-hand twine in history. Today we know that this is due to the natural shape of the cells in the hemp fibre. By twisting it clockwise, you go with the lay of the cells and the fibre retains its natural resilience and strength. Bill Fronzaglia wrote in The History of Rope: "Even the standardization of the Right Hand Lay rope dates back to the early days of rope production, when it was known that Hemp retains more strength when the yarn is twisted to the right. This resulted in a left hand strand, and a right hand rope. It wasn't until modern times that microscopic examination of the plant illustrated that the structure of the plant has a natural twist that causes this effect" (Source: the-history-of-rope )
The fibres spun into threads are called yarns. They are twist in a clockwise direction (Z-twist). From the yarns, counterclockwise (S-twist) strands are then twist and these are used to make clockwise (Z-twist) rope, Hawser laid rope. Please correct me if I’m wrong. :)

Afb002.jpg

Touw = rope
Garen = yarn
Kardeel = strand
Kabel = cable
The twist of a rope can be seen by placing the rope on the palm of your hand, S- and Z-twist are clearly visible.

Afb003.jpg

More about this subject you can find in Knowing the Ropes: The Need to Record Ropes and Rigging on Wreck-Sites and Some Techniques for Doing So by Damien Sanders
Another remarkable fact I found in my search was that ropes before the 19the century were probably never thicker than 229 mm (9") in circumference, or 73 mm in diameter. If one wanted a rope with a larger diameter than Ø73 mm, this was done by beating the ropes into a cable. The source for this information can be found in the quote by Damien Sanders: 'Knowing the Ropes' A cable is composed of ropes, usually S-twist and has a larger diameter than 73mm. To keep it simple: a cable can also have a diameter smaller than Ø73mm, but then it is called a Cablet. The yarn used in modelling is usually Z-twist, but do check this. I use Serafil from the brand Amann, this is Z-twist, but this yarn can also be used for S-twist rope. The yarn yarn is so thin that you won't notice it when twist.

Materials for making your own rope
I have seen examples of cotton, hemp, polyester and even silk. I came across the latter from a modeller on a German forum. https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/la-cr%C3%A9ole-1827-by-archjofo-scale-1-48-french-corvette.7643/ user @archjofo uses YLI #100 silk lock yarn and Gütermann S 303 yarn. It gives a beautiful result, but it does come at a price, of course. By the way, it is not strange to use silk, as it has been used in the past in model shipbuilding. There are museum pieces where this has been applied. It looks very nice, but whether it is easy to work with? Maybe Johann can tell us. In my search, I saw comments that many museums that restore a model switch to polyester, because there are more advantages to it. It is more durable, does not expand and is not fluffy. With a good treatment it does not fray either. In this topic I will limit myself to polyester, as I have the most experience with it. The actions that will be discussed are applicable to all materials, with the exception of the after-treatment of polyester against fraying (unravelling). If you prefer to use cotton, I recommend Egyptian cotton. The fibres are longer and therefore stronger in thinner yarns and because of the way they are picked, there is less fluff.
There are many types of polyester yarn that you can use, such as zipworld Tytan, AriadneTytan, Amann Serafil, Gütermann, all sewing or locker yarns.Look what is availleble in your country. Note that there are also blends of polyester and cotton such as Forbilux. I don't use this, it is very fluffy. But it is a good alternative if you prefer the cotton look. It is thinner and stronger than cotton, but the difference is almost indistinguishable. I myself use Serafill 120/2, which is similar to Tytan 250, it is 100% lock yarn.

Afb004.jpg
Afb005.jpg

Its thickness is 0.12 mm and it consists of 2 wires that are Z-twist. It is available in various colours. The Tytan and Serafil have a silky sheen, which gives a nice appearance in normal light. When using a flash, it does light up, so you will always see a sheen on the photos. In the future I want to try other yarns, especially for thicker rope a slightly thicker yarn can be welcome. @mati.n uses differed brands, maybe he will share here also his experience with us.

The ropewalk
How rope is actually made can be found on the internet, see for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope To be able to twist the rope, a rope-walk is needed. This can be a simple manual version, but also an electrical one. A rope-walk twists the yarns to a strand and then twist the strand in turn into a rope. In below picture the upper hooks twist the strands, the lower hook the rope.

Afb006.jpg

Four-strand rope usually has an extra thin strand (core) in the middle to accommodate the hollow, the builders of French ships usually used six-strand rope. I have no experience with these builds, the builders here who have maybe can tell you more about this. I just mentioned it because my rope walk can make rope with 4 strands and core.

Afb007.jpg

Four-strand rope with core has a little more flexibility, but is rarely used. And when it is used only for the thicker ropes on the ship. The smaller 4 strands are not strong enough. That’s wat I had read about it. @Dubs modelling can maybe tell more about it. For example I use it to make 0.5 mm. rope from Serafil. I then put 4x2 yarns in the machine plus a core. This produces a 0.5 mm. rope.
The rope-walk basically consists of the winding mechanism, a strand turner, a strand separator and a 'fixed' point to which the yarns are attached. The "fixed" point (which can be rotated) will twist the rope if the strands are sufficiently twisted. Below picture shows the prototype of the gear construction for making a six-strand rope. The central gear wheel drives the gears for twisting the strands. The core wire can be attached in the centre of this rope-walk.

Afb008.JPG

After the necessary tests with the prototype, a housing for the walk was designed with AutoCAD. Below picture shows mine rope-walk version for four strands and one core.

Afb009.JPG

In addition to the drive, it also houses the electronics.

Afb010.JPG
Afb011.JPG
Afb012.JPG

The drive motor is a 12V/600 rpm reduction motor from Aliexpress, dimensions Ø37x55mm. motor The controller (6-30V, 80W) is also from Aliexpress,. With it, the speed of the process and the direction of rotation can be adjusted. controller

This rope-walk allows me to make ropes over a length of 3.70m: wall to wall in my hobby room. When you have a bigger shipyard you will be lucky enough to make longer ropes. :D
The process is like Ohla Batchvarov shows in her video’s

Mine looks like this

Afb013.JPG
Afb014.JPG
Afb015.JPG
Afb016.JPG
Afb017.JPG
Afb018.JPG

The wooden stick is to keep the trolley in place when I attach the yarn to the machine and keep the yarn in tension.
This horizontal arrangement has two powered sides: the trolley, the part that turns the rope, is on a trolley that compensates for the shortening that occurs during winding. A weight is attached to the trolley. Which, by a pulley, keeps the tension on the wires.
The yarns are looped around the hooks of the rope-walk and return to the hook on the trolley. The core wire is guided to the side of the rope-walk and stretched there with a weight (in the picture I use a clip). It does not twist during the twisting process and keeps its length. After the yarns (including the core) have been attached to the trolley, they are passed through the separator. I use a piece of MDF but in the video of Ohla you see a stick with a cone. I’m going to experience with that someday. Maybe someone can explain the advantage to me.

Afb019.JPG
Afb020.JPG
Afb021.JPG

Once everything is securely fastened and stretched, the rope-walk is started and the threads are twisted. When the machine reaches the 10% mark (the length of the threads is only 90% of the length at which it started), the motor of the trolley is started and twisting of the rope begins. The separator is slowly moved forward until it reaches the rope-walk. The speed at which this is done is a part by feel the push of the twisted rope, the twisted rope pushes against the separator. So a little experience need to be train to do this. When you arrive at the rope-walk, both machines are stopped immediately. If you don't, the rope snaps.

Afb022.JPG
Afb023.JPG

You have to master this process. The tension on the threads, the speed of turning and the smooth movement of the separator all play a part in achieving a beautiful end result.

Every machine will be different, but a basic rule is: wait with twisting until the strands have decreased in length by 10-15% (the twisting makes the strands shorter). I use 8% for thin rope (3x2 yarns) and 15% for thick rope (3x 32 yarns), the rest in between. The table in below picture shows the results of tests I made with Serafil. For this material these are good guidelines, the deviations are only small. I will mentioning that when I make 2x1, 3x1 or 4x1 rope (this is very thin. I only make S-twist rope of Serafil. This works better when twisting the rope and you need a microscope to see if the end result is S- or Z-twisted. No problem at al.

Afb024.jpg
Edit: Forget the contra weight in the diagram. This is wrong and need to be more. Example 3x2 must be at least 80 grams.

Other brands of yarn may give different values. To find out, it is a good idea to systematically record all data and every action during the test, such as the yarn, number of yarns, the length, how much you shrink the yarn on the rope bearing before starting to rope, the end result, etc. This makes it easier to make a rope for the next ship and ensures consistent results.
The rope-walk is suitable for making very thick rope, the thickest I have made with it so far with Serafil is Ø2 mm. thick rope of 3 threads, each consisting of 32 yarns (3x32).

Reprogramming polyester rope
Polyester is a rather stiff yarn and has the property of taking its original shape. A twisted rope will then, when cut, return to the form it had, namely all loose yarns. You will then be left with a thick brush instead of a piece of string. This can be taken into account by tying a knot or immediately sealing the cut rope with glue or heat.

Afb025.JPG

Max of pictures Cautious

Last edited:
But it can also be done differently. You can 're-programme' polyester into its new shape. You have to heat the rope for a short time, so that the polyester is 'programmed' into its new shape. This can be done by wrapping the rope around a large metal disc. I use soup cans for this, which have been made to measure. Cut off the sharp edges to be safe.

After the rope has been taken out of the ropewalk, a knot is tied at the ends and when the rope has stopped curling. It is wrapped around the tin. The beginning and end are fastened with a small clip . Watch out for kinks, as they can cause permanent deformation of the rope during the heating process. The place of the clamp also remains visible after the treatment. Place the beginning and the end of the rope there, which can be cut off.

Afb026.JPG
Afb027.JPG
Afb028.JPG

Then the tin with the rope is placed in an oven pre-heated to 175 degrees Celsius for 5 minutes (NB. No hotter than 190 degrees Celsius and no longer than 5½ minutes. If you heat it too long or too hot it will melt and your rope will fail) . Take the tin out of the oven (with an oven glove) and remove the rope. It keeps its shape, does not fray, and the tension that was on the rope after twisting is also gone.

Afb029.JPG
Afb030.JPG
Afb031.JPG

When you now look to the rope the unravelling is gone.

Afb032.JPG

Hope you enjoy this topic about rope making. If there are questions I’ll answer them with love. If you want to share your knowledge about this subject please be free to do it here. If there is something wrong about what I’ve wrote please correct me. No problem at all. We are all here to learn and getting better in our wonderful hobby.

Edit 1: In another topic I showed my serving tool https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/serving-tool.7615/

Edit 2: If you interrested in the codes that are mentioned on the different brands of yarn you can look here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_of_textile_measurement sometimes a shop where you can buy will give you the thickness of the yarn in mm. but most of the time you have to measure by your self.

Last edited:
Afb033.jpg

In this picture you see a mistake in the rope. In the middle the rope is not so nice twisted. This is because I stumbled about the dog. :p:cool: Yes maybe it was because of that. But the reason that this happens is that you go to fast with the separator on the walk when twisting the rope. That is what I mean with to build up experience. It will not give you the best result in one time. You need to practise. I spilled a roll of serafill (5 km yarn) getting the best result. So don't be ashamed when it does not work the first time.

Thank you very much, this is good stuff. Does the tension on the rope/strands(the weight pulling on the tailstock) have any effect on the finished product? Why do some use the second motor? I've found that the rope will twist itself when I slide the shuttle along. Sometimes it all happens by itself.

I'm actually producing some usable rope now but I can't take any pictures. Somewhere between an old camera and an old operator(shaky hands) I can't get a clear picture.

Does the tension on the rope/strands(the weight pulling on the tailstock) have any effect on the finished product?
Yes. It is to keep the strands straight during twisting. Without it, it becomes a mess. Too much weight, it can be screwed together too tightly. The lenght of the strands during twisting will get shorter. You have to wait till the lenght of the strands is about 10% shorter. After that you start the other motor and the rope will be formed.
That's why there is the weight. It must be enough to just not get a mess. Just try en experience. Start with about 100 gram. And see what happen.

Why do some use the second motor?
It is not necessary like you said. But this type of rope walk works the best with both motors. You get a very good result. But your free to use another type of rope walk without the extra motor.

Yes. It is to keep the strands straight during twisting. Without it, it becomes a mess. Too much weight, it can be screwed together too tightly. The lenght of the strands during twisting will get shorter. You have to wait till the lenght of the strands is about 10% shorter. After that you start the other motor and the rope will be formed.
That's why there is the weight. It must be enough to just not get a mess. Just try en experience. Start with about 100 gram. And see what happen.

It is not necessary like you said. But this type of rope walk works the best with both motors. You get a very good result. But your free to use another type of rope walk without the extra motor.
Stephan,

Thank you for this excellent article. I'll add from my own experience...I use a heavier weight with thicker lines and lighter weight for thinner line. And I agree with you that 15% shortening works well with the thickest ropes - 10% for the thinnest - on a continuum.

View attachment 285328

In this picture you see a mistake in the rope. In the middle the rope is not so nice twisted. This is because I stumbled about the dog. :p:cool: Yes maybe it was because of that. But the reason that this happens is that you go to fast with the separator on the walk when twisting the rope. That is what I mean with to build up experience. It will not give you the best result in one time. You need to practise. I spilled a roll of serafill (5 km yarn) getting the best result. So don't be ashamed when it does not work the first time.
Fantastic article Stephan,
Thank you for sharing your experience you have helped answer quite a few questions already.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Great information. Thank you
I have started making ropes and I have a planetary gear type machine. It works great but I haven't found the right combination of tension/motor speeds yet.
Start with ¼ the weight of your trolley. Speed rope-walk : trolley ca. 1 : 2 and let the rope push your seperator forwards. Is a good start. Keep what @dockattner also mention the 10% rule in mind and see what the result is.
I use yarn for locking sewing machines. This is very thin. 120/2 is yarn thats made of 2 strands and have a thicknass of 0,12 mm. Perfect for making ropes of 0,20 to 3 mm.
Succes by creating wonderfull rope.

Start with ¼ the weight of your trolley. Speed rope-walk : trolley ca. 1 : 2 and let the rope push your seperator forwards. Is a good start. Keep what @dockattner also mention the 10% rule in mind and see what the result is.
I use yarn for locking sewing machines. This is very thin. 120/2 is yarn thats made of 2 strands and have a thicknass of 0,12 mm. Perfect for making ropes of 0,20 to 3 mm.
Succes by creating wonderfull rope.
Thank you for this.

Excellent reference, thanks Stephan. I am also experimenting, the hardest part is finding the gears, I've got LEGO gears epoxied to the shafts but yours look more substantial, where did you get them?
I'm also trying to home in on just a few differnt colours, here's my sample sheet, trouble is it cost a couple of pounds to by the spool and you might decide it's no good. LOL G means Gutermann thread and the number is the colour. It might not come out correct on the computor but I'm leaning towards 696 for standing rigging and 464 and 722 for running but then again !!!!

Attachments

• Guterman colour.jpg
    Guterman colour.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 128
Great tutorial Stephen! I too make my ropes on a vertical machine.
Echoing Daniels words of praise. A great tutorial and well presented.
My problem with the thread: There are various sizes from Gütermann, and these sizes are not in mm. Is there a way to convert the thread sizes given on spools of thread to mm?
Trevor

Back