Image Editors - What Are You Using?

Wanted to hear what image annotating software people are using. I've tried a few, Gimp, Paint.net and one or two others that were so unimpressive I've forgotten their names.

I'm just looking for something that is is intuitive, simple, free if possible. All I really require is to annotate images to help explain tasks, arrows, shapes, text, etc.

I don't want to start a poll as I don't want to narrow the input. Better to question the void and count the popular votes manually. ;)

Thanks,
Ken

i use Adobe Photoshop Elements i picked up copies as low as 25 bucks on Ebay average cost is around 60 bucks.
Free is nice but free also is not up to par

Hi Ken,
when you say you would like to annotate images, I am correct in understanding that you want to add symbols, as described, to an existing image?
For image manipulation I also use PS Elements. Very good for the job, but as with almost all pieces of software, one needs to learn the programme to experience its full potential. If I want to add arrows and other symbols, etc. to an existing image, I import the image into MS Word using Insert/Forms.
Of course, a free open source programme, such as "Open Office" may also offer this possibility.
Best of luck.
Trevor

Trevor, yes you are correct, and thank you for responding. I do believe a picture is worth 1,000 words, but sometimes you need 1,004, an arrow a shape to add clarity to your explanation, especially when pointing out an element deep within the spider webs of rigging, as an example.

I have tried Gimp and love it, but for some unknown reason it has no arrow elements in the "out of the box" functionality. You have to add scripts and blah, blah. I'm currently using Paint.net and while it is fine, it's just not intuitive enough.

If I were to default back to using MS Office, I would most likely import the image to PowerPoint, but I have a personal crusade with MS at the moment.

Interestingly, two people have responded to my inquiry and both name PS Elements. While certainly it's not a large set of data, I've started to read up on PS Elements and in the absence of additional input from folks, I will most likely give it a go.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out Trevor.

Cheers,
Ken

i use Adobe Photoshop Elements i picked up copies as low as 25 bucks on Ebay average cost is around 60 bucks.
Free is nice but free also is not up to par
Dave, yep, I do understand you get what you pay for. In this case, I'm looking for the simplest of functionality, so free could deliver what I'm looking for. Besides, if I could have found it for free it would have allowed me to increase my last wood order to you by $60. ROTF

Trevor, yes you are correct, and thank you for responding. I do believe a picture is worth 1,000 words, but sometimes you need 1,004, an arrow a shape to add clarity to your explanation, especially when pointing out an element deep within the spider webs of rigging, as an example.

I have tried Gimp and love it, but for some unknown reason it has no arrow elements in the "out of the box" functionality. You have to add scripts and blah, blah. I'm currently using Paint.net and while it is fine, it's just not intuitive enough.

If I were to default back to using MS Office, I would most likely import the image to PowerPoint, but I have a personal crusade with MS at the moment.

Interestingly, two people have responded to my inquiry and both name PS Elements. While certainly it's not a large set of data, I've started to read up on PS Elements and in the absence of additional input from folks, I will most likely give it a go.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out Trevor.

Cheers,
Ken
My pleasure!

I have seen images on the forum that the person used the built in arrows and now I can’t remember who used it nor the name. Unless you were to google it for “graphic programs w demonstrations icons” or something similar.

I was using PS Elements 11 for years. When I upgraded my computer PS Elements was not compatible with Apples M chip and Adobe didn’t seem to be aware of it. I them found Adobe were becoming subscriptio based. Bottom line, Pixelmator Pro, low cost one time purchase and works well.

i can add just about anything to an image in Photoshop elements

original

DSCN0894.JPG

using photoshop i can add text, high lite the first stack of firewood or the circle add arrows in any size and color

test.jpg

i have photoshop elements 7, 8, 9 and 11 the older versions are 32 bit and i am running them on an older computer windows 7 but i think they will run with windown 10

ps7.JPGps9.JPG

Last edited:
A case well made Dave. Thanks everyone for responding. Appreciate the input and feedback. Thumbsup

If you need quick and dirty, and don't want to get mired in all the advanced features of Photoshop or Gimp, Paint 3D works great for inserting text and arrows. The best thing is, you don't have to be a graphic artists to figure it out, and it's free, being already in Windoze 10. Text boxes can have a colored background to make them stand out, and arrows can be outlined. These are needed when rigging and background clutter obscure your text and arrows. Since there are no layers, you have you use the margins to cut and paste pieces of image, and the selection tool only allows for rectangles, no circles or blobs. Here's an example made in less than a minute.

1658670424845.png

1658670510012.png

Last edited:
say you want to show a close up of part of the image you can isolate it, blow it up and set it back into the image

ps2.jpg

ROTF Ok, point taken Kurt. Just downloaded Paint 3D, since it is free. I'll put it through its paces and go from there.

If you need quick and dirty, and don't want to get mired in all the advanced features of Photoshop or Gimp, Paint 3D works great for inserting text and arrows. The best thing is, you don't have to be a graphic artists to figure it out, and it's free, being already in Windoze 10. Text boxes can have a colored background to make them stand out, and arrows can be outlined. These are needed when rigging and background clutter obscure your text and arrows. Since there are no layers, you have you use the margins to cut and paste pieces of image, and the selection tool only allows for rectangles, no circles or blobs. Here's an example made in less than a minute.

View attachment 319971

View attachment 319972

now that is good i should have had my cloaking device on
it depends on what you are use to using, i grew up with photoshop from the first version so i stuck with it. I did have the advantage of working as a graphic artist for 28 years and worked with the pro versions of Adobe software.

Ah, that is a good feature to magnify an element deep within rigging. Dave, Kurt, I started this thread to gain some clarity in my decision.ROTF

If you do decide to use a more complex paint program like Photoshop of Gimp, you will be able to do all the fancy things like magnification, use of layers as part of your image workbench, and other cool tools. We are all in different levels of experience working with computer programs, so it's nice to know our options.

Back