New kit Imperial Yacht "Uvalen" 1:48 scale

The deck length on the Leudo is 285mm - which is already small. This is even smaller.

THAT IS JUST TO SMALL FOR ME IT IS A SHAME WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THIS KIT BUT AM JUST BARLY MAKING A GO OF IT, CAN ANYONE GIE ME THE HULL LENGTH FROM BOW TO STERN SO I CAN COMPARE THE LENGTHS, THE LEUDO IS JUST AT THE LOWER END OF MY BUILDS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

The deck length on the Leudo is 285mm - which is already small. This is even smaller.

They give the information:
  • Assembled dimensions are (LxWxH) 18" x 3.25" x 14.25" (456mm x 83mm x 360mm ).
When we take a look at the photo showing the model from side, the bow sprit is appr. 1/3 of the total length, so I think, that the deck is appr. 30 to 31 cm long, so similar or slightly longer than the Leudo....

The model continues the series of royal yachts, which began with the steam boat "Dagmar" 1:48 scale.
https://falconet-mfg.com/Imperial-steam-pinnace-Dagmar-1-48-p187532826

The "Dagmar" steam boat was built for the future Emperor Alexander III in 1870 by J.S. White & Co. The boat was required to have the necessary seaworthiness to be able to make sea voyages between St. Petersburg and Kronstadt. The builder suggested extended 37' version of its proven steam boat. In addition to the steam engine, Dagmar could be rigged with sails. The boat was named after the wife of the Crown Prince - Danish princess Dagmara.

1374895384 (1).png1374895329.png1374892973.jpg1374898000.jpg

My apologies for resurrecting a year-old thread, but I acquired this kit not long ago from my LHS and I have a question for anyone who may have had some experience with it.

I will first say that up to this part of the build, apart from some mis-labeled parts on parts listing, the kit has been absolutely splendid and the fit of the parts is extremely precise. Would have been nice if the part numbers had been laser etched into the larger parts, as it would have saved a fair bit of glancing back and forth between the parts and the parts lists. No biggie. So my question is this: In the instructions, parts A30R and A30L are slightly shorter than the ppost rising from the keel, but when dry fit, the are clearly much taller.
Uvalen1.jpgUvalen2.jpg
It appears those parts just need to be cut off at the first step, but given my limited experience with wood ship building and the precision with which everything else has fit together so far, I am reluctant to start chopping up parts without first hearing from someone who might have already dealt with this.

Thanks, everyone, in advance!

Last edited:
I don't have this kit but two suggestions. If you haven't already triple-check that you have the correct parts. Then look further along in the instructions to see what goes on top of these and what they look like there.

Nice looking kit!
Glenn

Glenn,
Absolutely spot-on advice and I did exactly that as soon as I noticed the issue. Everything (other than the parts list) seems to indicate these parts were designed too tall, but I was hoping there’d be someone lurking around here that would say, “oh, yeah. I ran into that too. Easy fix…”

Fortunately, I’ve got a few more framing parts I can work on fairing while I wait to see what responses I get/screw up my courage to reach for the razor saw.

Last edited:
My apologies for resurrecting a year-old thread, but I acquired this kit not long ago from my LHS and I have a question for anyone who may have had some experience with it.

I will first say that up to this part of the build, apart from some mis-labeled parts on parts listing, the kit has been absolutely splendid and the fit of the parts is extremely precise. Would have been nice if the part numbers had been laser etched into the larger parts, as it would have saved a fair bit of glancing back and forth between the parts and the parts lists. No biggie. So my question is this: In the instructions, parts A30R and A30L are slightly shorter than the ppost rising from the keel, but when dry fit, the are clearly much taller.
View attachment 267398View attachment 267399
It appears those parts just need to be cut off at the first step, but given my limited experience with wood ship building and the precision with which everything else has fit together so far, I am reluctant to start hopping up parts without first hearing from someone who might have already dealt with this.

Thanks, everyone, in advance!

Beer
I have the feeling, that the manual / drawings were produced during a different period than the model
When you take a look at this post #14 of this topic you can find a photo of the test-model build by Falconet - here you have the same situation

GPWvQkLLVIw.jpg

I had not noticed that before so thank you for pointing that out. Of course now I'm more confused because just when I had convinced myself they need to be cut down, there is the kit being assembled just as it is out of the box. I think I need to get the subassembly for the foc's'le assembled and installed in order to confirm which is the right course of action. Those frames would be much easier to cut before they are permanently installed.

Last edited:

Hello Namabiiru. I am tagging the manufacturer of this kit, Maria is represented by Falconet @Falconet manufactures. Her native language is Russan, but she understands English and might be able to help you obtain the latest manual or help acquiring missing parts (if any).

Приветствую Мария,
Не могли бы вы помочь нашему форумчанину, с инструкцией и потерянными\недостающими деталями из набора.
Заранее благодарны,
Dmitrij

Hello Namabiiru. I am tagging the manufacturer of this kit, Maria is represented by Falconet @Falconet manufactures. Her native language is Russan, but she understands English and might be able to help you obtain the latest manual or help acquiring missing parts (if any).

Приветствую Мария,
Не могли бы вы помочь нашему форумчанину, с инструкцией и потерянными\недостающими деталями из набора.
Заранее благодарны,
Dmitrij
Thank you, Jim. That will be great if she is able to respond. Perhaps she will also know if the photo etch grill for the skylight is available for purchase as a seperate add-on.

Thank you, Jim. That will be great if she is able to respond. Perhaps she will also know if the photo etch grill for the skylight is available for purchase as a seperate add-on.
The grill should be available as well as sewing sails for this kit. Maria is a very nice person, you can ask her

Well, Friends, it is with some chagrin that I relate that after quadruple- and quintuple(?)-checking instructions for subsequent steps (nods to Glenn) I have figured out that it doesn't matter how tall those posts are, as they are only there to support the planking as it is being attached to the stem. Once the planks are secure, the posts get cut off flush with the deck. there is nothing in the instructions to explain this, but I suspect an experienced ship-builder would be familiar with that step so I'm just chalking this up to my lack of experience.

Last edited:
The Imperial Yacht Uvalen is tempting, unfortunately hard to get nowadays. Is anybody maybe selling this kit (pear edition) within europe?

cheers

Dirk

Back