India Ink

We would be most interested if you did some test samples, and uploaded your photos on the forum for all of us to share your results.

Yes I'll try to do that. I've been a wood worker for over forty years using stains, gels and sealers etc. I heard of the fantastic depth of colour one can achieve using the ink. I'm going to use oak most likely and will see how it goes. Thanks again.

if you use steelwool and place it in vinegar then soak a piece of wood in it the wood will turn black.
I have done this in the past and it worked out pretty good because like a paint or stain it did not cover the grain or figure of the wood. it also gave the wood an old weathered look.

I have made a sample of birch, stained with black water-based stain thinned 50% water and added two coats,
bottom of the picture and it is without oil or wax.
Cherry
Birch
Holly
Black birch

As an alternative to Indian Ink,I have seen Rotring drawing ink used to good effect on the Polish forum.This is the permanent stuff you use in draughting pens.I assume you can still buy it even though CAD has nearly rendered this stuff obsolete.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Another choice is Fiebing's Black Leather dye. I've used it in the past and it works well. Behlen's Solar-Lux Jet Black Dye is good too. It's a dye, so it won't obscure the grain, and it's solvent is rapid drying and won't raise the grain.

Very good result, Ramon. I am wondering how it will hold oil vanish? Did you have a chance to experiment?

using dyes or ink as Daveb said it does not cover the grain in the wood. This is more a scale natural look. I suppose you can water down paint but then you are loosing the depth of color.

I have used ink as dyes on some of my past models. India ink as well as blue, Green, yellow and red artists inks work very well on light whitish coloured wood. When dried the wood can be lacquered or shellacked. Gives a far more fine and nuanced finish than paint.

Back