Instruction Translation Methods

Awesome! Thanks, will have to use that!
I don't have or use a smartphone. I've tried to Copy 9as a (PDF) the chinese characters and paste them into Yandex.Translate, which worked great when I copied some from the SOS bluenose forum posts. I have been unable to copy and paste from a PDF though, so I'm still in the dark.

EJ

I don't have or use a smartphone. I've tried to Copy 9as a (PDF) the chinese characters and paste them into Yandex.Translate, which worked great when I copied some from the SOS bluenose forum posts. I have been unable to copy and paste from a PDF though, so I'm still in the dark.

EJ
on google translater, you have to upload the pdf file and will be translated

I tried to download google translater, but it will not allow me to download to a computer unless it is a chromebook. Still in the dark.
You do not have to download it ,just go google translator online

OK, First off I am no expert in any of this, but in reading Dean's build the various methods of translating instructions into your primary language have been discussed with Google Translate or other online apps or webpages.

I started this thread so others can repost those methods and we all have a single place to explain what and how to do it.

Thanks to anyone who wants to post.

I did. All it did was translate it from Chinese to Chinese, no matter what language I tried.

I've messed with this for hours now. Tried several different translators. Tried using a program to convert PDF to WORD and using that pasted in instead of PDF (that was a pain). I either get just the same gobbldegook in both boxes, Notices that I need to sign up or register (which I did, for every one of the programs) or, just nothing at all.
I have been trying to translate text that I scanned on a Canon copier/printer. It saves all scans as a PDF. If I save the PDF to documents, I can open it up and select the Chinese text, then paste it into the translators.
When I copied Chinese text from this site and pasted that in, it worked just fine, but I've only seen a few pages in the Bluenose forums in Chinese to be able to copy.
Really frustrating.

1611104425790.png

Google Translate

Google's free service instantly translates words, phrases, and web pages between English and over 100 other languages.
translate.google.ca
translate.google.ca
I've messed with this for hours now. Tried several different translators. Tried using a program to convert PDF to WORD and using that pasted in instead of PDF (that was a pain). I either get just the same gobbldegook in both boxes, Notices that I need to sign up or register (which I did, for every one of the programs) or, just nothing at all.
I have been trying to translate text that I scanned on a Canon copier/printer. It saves all scans as a PDF. If I save the PDF to documents, I can open it up and select the Chinese text, then paste it into the translators.
When I copied Chinese text from this site and pasted that in, it worked just fine, but I've only seen a few pages in the Bluenose forums in Chinese to be able to copy.
Really frustrating.

Also frusrating to try to build with just pictures. The build logs are great and have a lot of wonderful info, but I find it difficult to follow because the build is not shown in linear form on any one given log.
1611104921777.png

Hello EJ,

Sorry for the trouble, EJ. I am in no way a language expert but the language on the left doesn't look like Chinese. I don't think it belongs to any country's language.

please do me a favor and try translating this: 谢谢您。

Hello EJ,

Sorry for the trouble, EJ. I am in no way a language expert but the language on the left doesn't look like Chinese. I don't think it belongs to any country's language.

Looks like that the pdf conversion to word messed up,Jim is right that is some kinda giberish

I thought Heinrich was working on getting the instructions translated?
I sure hope so....
For most of us, ship modeling is just a hobby while maintaining a regular job\s. Translation takes a lot of time and dedication, we hope you understand it. Also, I think Heinchich translating the manual while building BN so he can better explain the process in the manual. :)

Hello Everyone

First, I apologise for my relative silence. The reality is that I have simply not had the time of late to do much about model shipbuilding. Please understand that I work for the Chinese Education Department. They accept to compromises when it comes to the completion of their syllabi for the year. On the 12th of February is Chinese New Year. That means that EVERYTHING needs to be finalized before then. You can imagine that with the 5-month interruption caused by COVID-19, we now have to cram those 5 months into the available time that we have to finish the year's work. For the last two weeks I have been teaching 12 hours a day - that is "teaching time" only and does not take into account preparation, setting papers, moderating them, calculating results etc etc ...

I am busy with and will do the translations. @Jimsky is 100% correct in saying that the idea was to build with the instructions in order to verify them. A case in point was the beveling on the bow - with the instructions simply telling you to bevel to the line, that was not accurate enough. Only as part of the building could we surmise that the beveling needs to be to the inside.

I do have a few hours available tomorrow and will continue with the translations. Thank you all for understanding.

Kind regards - Heinrich

With Google Translator, I can't help because Google is not allowed in China. However, if you use Bing's online translator that works fine.

Hello EJ,

It says "Thank You".

Actually, I scanned to PDF this -
1611158343785.png

But what the translators put in was this

,FNfiffi{Hfrfr)*
1 : +tstr*ifrit*T,,iHTEHEIJ H€ru# i
2Z Iffi*EEHiiEFEflH;
3; +EnfirEtEi (€tr#HiEi) IlfiEUfifttr+HttE&{iE;
4 z H EffiU rfizl<*1tHfifi gntEH ti,EiE ;
5: +t+ 15-20 fibtr, IffiTEIEI

Amazing, right?
I'm gonna try Bing

I just tried Bing with the same results.

BUT, when I copy the words from post # 38 on this site, it works just fine. Geeze.

How did you post the words "Thank You". did you scan them as a PDF, as a picture, ?

How did you post the words "Thank You". did you scan them as a PDF, as a picture, ?
The problem seems to be PDF conversion software. PDF is the (like image format). Unless your PDF software has a built-in plugin for translation you will fail. The word 'Thank you' was translated using Google Translate (copied from the web)

Some conversation on this has been done on Deans build log page, but perhaps Jimsky will move it here.
My problem turned out to be the Adobe Reader version I have did not recognize Chinese. I found and downloaded a "Asian font pack" as an extension from Adobe reader.
Now it recognizes the characters as Chinese when I scan them to PDF and, when I copy and paste them from the PDF into google translator, Bing translator or Yandex Translate, they all recognize the characters.

I'm going to try to spend some time translating the manual and if I can scan them, some of the notes from the plan sheets. We'll see how it goes. If successful. I'll post the stuff here or maybe on a thread called "Translated instructions" or something.

1611162347724.png

This was what I was trying to do all along.

Hope this might help someone else.

EJ

Just as a test, I did the first page of the Parts list. Might need some translation of the translation?

If you all think this might be of help, I will continue in a new thread.

EJ

1611177675548.png

1611177748810.png

1611177811712.png

Attachments

• 1611164780126.png
    1611164780126.png
    441 KB · Views: 19
  • 1611164843504.png
    1611164843504.png
    444.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: