introduction

Hello from Seattle WA, I have been a model builder from my youth, starting with plastic cars, boats, and airplanes. After my return from military service I was introduced to wooden models and have enjoyed building kits. The last few years I have moved to scratch building. I am hoping to learn and share with your members and staff.

Randy Erickson (AKA Ragnar)

Thank You for your welcome. My plan is to learn to navigate the site, then join the forums.

Enjoy the Holidays Ragnar

Hallo Randy
a warm welcome here on board of our forum also from my side

Happy to be aboard, I have put together my list of completed kits and scratch build projects.
Completed:
2- Gretel (Mamoli MV-33)
Victory (Mamoli MV-27)
Royal Louis (Mamoli MV-40)
Hjejlen (kit ???)
Bensersiel (Artesania Latina Ref: 20202)
Swift (Artesania Latina Ref: 20150)
Charles W. Morgan (Artesania Latina Ref: 20601)
BigOne Junk (Fibo Craft Models)
In Progress:
Berlin (Corel SM-29)
Maria (Billing Boats #552)
Scratch Build Completed:
Puritan Sloop
Peapod
Scratch Build Researching:
Whydah Galley 1715

I have not written any build logs; but have taken many progress photos.

Ragnar

There are many great build logs of scratch build projects, look in the Group Build section for Le Rochefort which is a scratch build from plans, and being done by several different members.

Hello from Seattle WA, I have been a model builder from my youth, starting with plastic cars, boats, and airplanes. After my return from military service I was introduced to wooden models and have enjoyed building kits. The last few years I have moved to scratch building. I am hoping to learn and share with your members and staff.

Randy Erickson (AKA Ragnar)
It sounds like me too, my father introduced me to model building somewhere around 1970 at the good age of 6. I think I built almost all the different plastic models as you did. I've always been fascinated by big model boats growing up and said it was my ultimate dream to build expensive wood models in 2005 being 40 and had a disc replacement in my neck a friend bought me my first kit (the Golden Star) and didn't do to well. I probably copied 500 pages on the need-to-know and ins-and-and-outs. I'm working on two at the moment, Swift Virginia Pilot Boat 1:50 1805 and the Mayflower 1620 1:64 both from Artesania.

Hello Kurt,
I too enjoy a good Man of War. I was interested in your size comment. Completed the Royal Louis was 46" long and 34" high; by the time I built a display case it ended up 53" x 39" and 25" wide. I am running out of space to display my collection of completed and cased models. The Royal Louis and HMS Victory from Mamloi are very near the same size and both kits were good quality and easy to build. The Royal Louis took me 3 years to complete working in the evenings after the kids went to bed. Do you have plans to build a large Man of War ? Tell me more.

Randy Erickson

Hello Kurt,
I too enjoy a good Man of War. I was interested in your size comment. Completed the Royal Louis was 46" long and 34" high; by the time I built a display case it ended up 53" x 39" and 25" wide. I am running out of space to display my collection of completed and cased models. The Royal Louis and HMS Victory from Mamloi are very near the same size and both kits were good quality and easy to build. The Royal Louis took me 3 years to complete working in the evenings after the kids went to bed. Do you have plans to build a large Man of War ? Tell me more.

Randy Erickson
Wow! That a big one. I am working on my second man of war. See the links to the build logs in my signature below. Early 17th century men of war have become my favorite style of ship, particularly royal great ships. It will be several years before I finish HMS Sovereign of the Seas. That ship will be my most detailed one now and in the future.

Wow
Very impressive collection you got there.
Inwill be looking out for your next model building log.

Bluebeard,
Thanks for your comments. I am impressed with the SOS group as a hole. I looked at Kurt Suleski's logs and a few others also very impressive. So much to see, read, and learn at SOS.

Build On

Randy Erickson

Happy to be aboard, I have put together my list of completed kits and scratch build projects.
Completed:
2- Gretel (Mamoli MV-33)
Victory (Mamoli MV-27)
Royal Louis (Mamoli MV-40)
Hjejlen (kit ???)
Bensersiel (Artesania Latina Ref: 20202)
Swift (Artesania Latina Ref: 20150)
Charles W. Morgan (Artesania Latina Ref: 20601)
BigOne Junk (Fibo Craft Models)
In Progress:
Berlin (Corel SM-29)
Maria (Billing Boats #552)
Scratch Build Completed:
Puritan Sloop
Peapod
Scratch Build Researching:
Whydah Galley 1715

I have not written any build logs; but have taken many progress photos.

Ragnar
Hi Ragnar. I have a Billings kit of Hjejlen which I haven't built yet. I was wondering if it is the same kit as yours and whether you have any photos please. Cheers Davydd

Back