INTRODUCTIONS

Thank you Chris!
Well here goes. I am Heinrich - a born and bred South African (first from Cape Town and later Johannesburg) who has lived and worked in Nantong, Jiangsu Province in China, as an English teacher. I am 57. I have had an interest in and been around ships, racing yachts and the like for as long as I can remember. As an amateur historian, my other interests include - you guessed it - naval history. I have one son aged 29 (an electrical engineer and contractor) who lives in Cape Town and who is clever enough not to do the things his father did! :D

I am unmarried, but am lucky enough to have an Admiral who supports me fully in whatever I do!

View attachment 196083

I invite you all to join us in the Bluenose journey!
Chris looks like he may have a Bluenose in progress on his work bench. If so, it will be interesting to see how that one and our current model will compare. Nice introduction and invitation to join our group and see your smiling face. Rich (PT-2)

A little about me... I work in the R&D Engineering group for an Oil and Gas company as an Inventor, developing new products on 3D CAD.
I’m also an artist, musician (guitar) and wood worker. And of course an avid model builder, who recently found wooden ship models. My first build was the Norske Love. It wasn’t completed due to an accident during moving. I was as far as the completion of the standing rigging (about 2 years). So I switched gears and started the build of the Cazador Zebec. I have a San Felipe that just arrived from ZHL 1:50 scale.
However the Bluenose has grown on me.
I think it’s the long sleek hull, the beautiful deck with nibbing, and those beautiful sails. I find myself wanting to have this ship in my collection. However I really want to plank the entire deck, and put on the sails.
So my question to Heinrich, is it possible to get the scaled plan of the sails to use as a pattern to sew? Also would it be possible to pay extra to get both sides of the deck included? Basically add another sheet that has the deck planks.
Thanks! I really think I’m going to be building one of these soon!

A little about me... I work in the R&D Engineering group for an Oil and Gas company as an Inventor, developing new products on 3D CAD.
I’m also an artist, musician (guitar) and wood worker. And of course an avid model builder, who recently found wooden ship models. My first build was the Norske Love. It wasn’t completed due to an accident during moving. I was as far as the completion of the standing rigging (about 2 years). So I switched gears and started the build of the Cazador Zebec. I have a San Felipe that just arrived from ZHL 1:50 scale.
I think it’s the long sleek hull, the beautiful deck with nibbing, and those beautiful sails. I find myself wanting to have this ship in my collection. However I really want to plank the entire deck, and put on the sails.
So my question to Heinrich, is it possible to get the scaled plan of the sails to use as a pattern to sew? Also would it be possible to pay extra to get both sides of the deck included? Basically add another sheet that has the deck planks.
I would speculate that if you cannot get the same species for the deck from them you may be able to procure your own stock and do a full deck which is also my vision. As to sails, two options, use a sail plan such as from MS2130 64 scale and rescale it to the YT model scale, or if they have a sail plan that matches their rigging plan you could use that. Thirdly, as the sails are not that complex you can use the masts and booms to measure out and make you own matching/fitted patterns and sails. Sails are what bring a hull to life and for me the core of the schooner. That will probably be my own tack as well as adding all of the fishing accoutrements of a working schooner, not the racing re-rigged manner. If you are interested I'll go over my MS2130 riggng and sail plan to not the differences between fishing and racing. That will be in a Word or Excel format to attach and send. With recognition of the drawings source and to MS I may also take a photo of those which so bear a copy right notation for Model Shipways who may sell the plans alone. Don't want to create a storm for SoS by doing so. Rich (PT-2)

I would speculate that if you cannot get the same species for the deck from them you may be able to procure your own stock and do a full deck which is also my vision. As to sails, two options, use a sail plan such as from MS2130 64 scale and rescale it to the YT model scale, or if they have a sail plan that matches their rigging plan you could use that. Thirdly, as the sails are not that complex you can use the masts and booms to measure out and make you own matching/fitted patterns and sails. Sails are what bring a hull to life and for me the core of the schooner. That will probably be my own tack as well as adding all of the fishing accoutrements of a working schooner, not the racing re-rigged manner. If you are interested I'll go over my MS2130 riggng and sail plan to not the differences between fishing and racing. That will be in a Word or Excel format to attach and send. With recognition of the drawings source and to MS I may also take a photo of those which so bear a copy right notation for Model Shipways who may sell the plans alone. Don't want to create a storm for SoS by doing so. Rich (PT-2)
As an aside, what style of guitar do you play. Back in the 60's I did some folk singing with a German partner and dabbled with very basic classical. Bought a classical guitar when in the Navy in Barcelona in the old town district from a very old and dark guitar luthier shop. Couldn't afford the one that I wanted as had to get a protective case for aboard ship. Ended up selling it five years ago for a small concertina, which my Swedish great grandmother played but lost. That way with my diminishing hearing and not wanting to use electric tone devices, A-tuning fork only, reached back to learn to play Swedish fold songs and dances which I felt that she had grown up playing. Now that is loaned out to a very talented composer/musician/vocalist friend of my son and except for two recorders and a piano in the living room we are instrument poor and none are being played. Just listen to the 24-hour classical university radio station which is commercial free and gives good background to modeling. Keep in tune and harmony with your inner self. Rich (PT-2)

@Dean62 Thank you very much for the intro Dean - and a big welcome to you! (Now we just need a picture!) :) We here at SOS are very happy about that change in your tack which has resulted in the Zebec. To those unfamiliar with Dean's build - do yourself a favour and have a look!Okay

As to your questions about the Bluenose deck planking and sails, I will put your request to YuanQing, and let you know what they say. As this model is an Admiralty-style build sans full planking and sails, I do not currently have a sail plan for Bluenose. However, YQ has in actual fact mentioned that there may be a sail set in the works in the not too distant future. I will also ask them about the deck planking at the same time.

@Dean62 Thank you very much for the intro Dean - and a big welcome to you! (Now we just need a picture!) :) We here at SOS are very happy about that change in your tack which has resulted in the Zebec. To those unfamiliar with Dean's build - do yourself a favour and have a look!Okay

As to your questions about the Bluenose deck planking and sails, I will put your request to YuanQing, and let you know what they say. As this model is an Admiralty-style build sans full planking and sails, I do not currently have a sail plan for Bluenose. However, YQ has in actual fact mentioned that there may be a sail set in the works in the not too distant future. I will also ask them about the deck planking at the same time.
Well...my picture is in my profile...that’s me...lol.
I understand it’s an admiralty type ship, however it has full masts and rigging...so...that begs for sails! And one side of the hull is planked...and I just thought a full deck would show off the how nice the deck is completed. And you could still see the deck frames from the open side of the hull that is not planked. So that’s my thinking as far as how I would build it. We all have our own preference. But if they are willing to add options, like sails, or full deck planking, I think that helps give people more options. And that needs to be the future of models, not this is what you get, take it or leave it. Which leads to kit bashing. Just my humble opinion.

As an aside, what style of guitar do you play. Back in the 60's I did some folk singing with a German partner and dabbled with very basic classical. Bought a classical guitar when in the Navy in Barcelona in the old town district from a very old and dark guitar luthier shop. Couldn't afford the one that I wanted as had to get a protective case for aboard ship. Ended up selling it five years ago for a small concertina, which my Swedish great grandmother played but lost. That way with my diminishing hearing and not wanting to use electric tone devices, A-tuning fork only, reached back to learn to play Swedish fold songs and dances which I felt that she had grown up playing. Now that is loaned out to a very talented composer/musician/vocalist friend of my son and except for two recorders and a piano in the living room we are instrument poor and none are being played. Just listen to the 24-hour classical university radio station which is commercial free and gives good background to modeling. Keep in tune and harmony with your inner self. Rich (PT-2)
Rich, I started playing guitar in high school. Basically blues and classical rock music. My wife used to play violin in orchestra when she was younger and she got me into classical music. So I own a classical guitar and a few steel string acoustics, and some electric guitars.
I learned a Prelude by Bach and recently a Partida in Dm, by Bach also.
I also play mandolin a little and dabble with her piano. But guitar is my main instrument.

I think this kit is 1/64 so the sail plans for my M.S. Bluenose should be compatible. Your biggest challenge there will be getting or creating the mast hoops for the sails.

Thank you Heinrich!
I have one more question...see pic below.
It seems on the printed deck, there are a number of boards that are cut in half. I prefer to make those whole, as I wouldn't want an extra joint along the same line. I suppose you might be able to cut those out of the sheet area that is not being used? But for the future of the kit, I hope they would make those boards printable at full length somewhere on that sheet or an additional sheet?
deck boards.JPG

Well...my picture is in my profile...that’s me...lol.
I understand it’s an admiralty type ship, however it has full masts and rigging...so...that begs for sails! And one side of the hull is planked...and I just thought a full deck would show off the how nice the deck is completed. And you could still see the deck frames from the open side of the hull that is not planked. So that’s my thinking as far as how I would build it. We all have our own preference. But if they are willing to add options, like sails, or full deck planking, I think that helps give people more options. And that needs to be the future of models, not this is what you get, take it or leave it. Which leads to kit bashing. Just my humble opinion.
Hello Dean and Heinrich, I am also a great fan of ships under full sail. I believe a that a sailing ship should show her full beauty and that in my eyes under full sail. What I mean is a ship tied up at the dock is ok but under sail is where this ship excelled.
Regards Lawrence

Thank you Heinrich!
I have one more question...see pic below.
It seems on the printed deck, there are a number of boards that are cut in half. I prefer to make those whole, as I wouldn't want an extra joint along the same line. I suppose you might be able to cut those out of the sheet area that is not being used? But for the future of the kit, I hope they would make those boards printable at full length somewhere on that sheet or an additional sheet?
View attachment 196421
Hello Dean,
How would you apply a whole deck (in lengt as you show), when the deck is divided in 2 different hights?
From the kit-review:1606841765668.jpeg
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hello Dean,
How would you apply a whole deck (in lengt as you show), when the deck is divided in 2 different hights?
From the kit-review:View attachment 196437
Regards, Peter
My bad, That explains it then. That's ignorance on my part, as I am not familiar with this ship yet. Thank you for the clarification!

I think this kit is 1/64 so the sail plans for my M.S. Bluenose should be compatible. Your biggest challenge there will be getting or creating the mast hoops for the sails.
the actual ones were wood hoops overlapped around about half way with copper rivets. You an roll some of those with thin hot wet wood around a dowel and give them a bit glue when cold and removed. I had to make serval for my pilot boat to replace some broken ones that came in the kit in the same manner. Just an idea. Rich (PT-2)

It gives me great pleasure to introduce my "partner" to you all - Xiuli of YuanQing. Xiuli has been my point of contact right from the very beginning and we have built up a great understanding in a very short time. She is absolutely wonderful to work together with and is most attentive to the need of all our SOS members.

微信图片_20201203193208.jpg

It gives me great pleasure to introduce my "partner" to you all - Xiuli of YuanQing. Xiuli has been my point of contact right from the very beginning and we have built up a great understanding in a very short time. She is absolutely wonderful to work together with and is most attentive to the need of all our SOS members.
Hello Xiuli I am very pleased to meet you and for all of your help that you have given Heinrich in making Avaible this great presentation of the ship Bluenose. Also for your speedy shipment of my ship that I will expect next week, Thank You. Regards Lawrence

Last edited:
Hi,

I've joined the group to watch, learn and absorb the various routines as the group goes about building this beautiful little ship. I'm still learning build skills and have worked my way through many of the Forums build logs.

250496AB-8D84-42A6-A6A9-40D2C33778FF_1_201_a.jpeg

This is a picture of when I started working on Constructo's 1799 Enterprise. It was a Birthday gift from my boys several years ago and I've been building ships ever since. Briefly, I'm a retired Electrical Engineer and enjoy working with my hands. "pathfinder65" is a reference to two tours in South East Asia which I somehow managed to survive. My Admiral and I enjoy the four seasons of our great state and spend as much time as we can outdoors.

Jan

Back