is this protection on the bow head correct?

The net and the bar looks as added! 5.pngIs this correct or is it something thats just today on the ship replicas because of the safety regulations? Am thinking that most propaby in the 18th century no such protection aids were used. The sailor had just to be carefull and hold on rigging ropes,

Last edited:
No - such net protection were used also in the old time of sailing warships.
It was depending of the construction of the bow, if there was an additional protection necessary,
especially for the sailors using the toilets there - the so called "seat of ease"
25742966963_1e2a5e4e4f_b.jpg

a photo of my friends model of his Victory - thanks to Daniel
Victory-120106_7731.jpg

not a contemporary painting - Launch of USS America
Geoff-Hunt-Launching-Day-USS-America-1 a.jpg

Take also a look at Lavery´s book, where you can find several contemporary models of the NMM with the rail for the net

here the photo of the Bellona from the NMM
d4077_3.jpg

But I do not know, when the differenbt navies started to install the nets and not only a rail

Thank you Uwek. Yes that also makes of course sense. Now thats has aroused another question for my build: Is inside railing (towards the deck openning) I have done wrong? Does it also needs a net and not just a rope. The monography showed no railing there. What do you think?20190819_115604.jpg

My two cents, but only based on thinking about and not based on real knowledge.
This small rail with the rope was to secure sailors walking there over the gangway, the fast connection as narrow passage that joins the quarterdeck to the forecastle.
But there was usually no person for longer time, no real activities were necessary to do on top of the gangway.
And in worst case, the sailor would fall only some 2 or 2,5 meter down. So I would not install a net there.
At the bow it was much more important - falling into the sea was usually followed by the death of the sailor, only a small number of them were able to swim.
But this is only my opinion.
BTW: I will move this thread to a more correct area of the forum.......

Thank you again mein freund. Actually that was my original though about this railing. Still the replica has a net and the monography not has nothing at all... its just an open space! So yes I am happy that you think that this could be correct.

So anyway.... a big thank you for all your help and for always responding to my silly (even sometimes) questions.

What about the mast platforms... did they had net on their railings? I tend to believe no. A plain railing I think should have been enough.Screenshot_20190906-162207_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Back