Its been a long time

Hi there,

This seems like a good place for this. My last entry was under “SOS Build Logs from – Wood, Don’s Santisima Trinidad by OcCre, October 23, 2017. Some of you, like Donnie, may still remember me. I have had one medical issue after another which has made working one the ST next to impossible.

A small history: I was in the Air Force from June of 65 to September of 68. The last year was in Korat Thailand working on aircraft radios. The base was pretty primitive at that time as we were starting a new program in support of the Vietnam conflict. At the time, we were exposed to some very toxic herbicides that our Government decided to cover up.

Fast forward to June of 2013, I found myself in a hospital emergency room, dying from a severe right lung infection, undiagnosed type 2 diabetes, undiagnosed high blood pressure, and a few other issues. Obviously I didn’t die but was left with diabetes and blood pressure that was a nightmare to get under control. During my recovery, I lost my job and was unable to work again. So to fill the time, I started the Santisima Trinidad Project. I have always wanted to build one of these wooden ships and the ST looked like it would fill my time and keep my interest.

Over the past 7 years I developed diabetic peripheral neuropathy which caused some major pain, shaking and generally stopped my ability to work on the ST in 2017. I have been following the VA guidelines for my condition but I was not getting anywhere controlling my diabetes or blood pressure. About a year ago I did a ton of research and developed my own plan, diet, etc. to get my diabetes somewhat under control. Oddly enough it worked. I was able to bring my blood sugar within the 80 to 100 range. This in turn slowed down the progression of the neuropathy and lowered my blood pressure. The shaking of my hands stopped and I was a happy camper. The pain was the only thing I had to live with since I would not take any of the pain pills the VA wanted me to take.

Unfortunately, while all of this was going on, I began developing a cataract in my left eye. It is to a point now that I cannot see very well and it must be removed. That will happen shortly. Also, they found a problem with excess calcium in my blood. After a bunch of tests, they found my bone density had dropped about 50% and one of four para-thyroids we have was the culprit. Happily, I now have three para-thyroids and my blood calcium level is back to normal.

At any rate, you have no idea how badly I want to start working on the ST again. Once I get my eyesight squared away, I am going to give her another shot. I don’t know if anyone thought I dropped off the edge of the world. I can assure you I didn’t. I just kept running into walls. Sometimes I think dropping off the edge of the world would have been better but then what fun is there in that? I will probably have the cataract removed next month. Once that is healed, I will see if I can get Project ST going again. Thanks for listening.

Later,

Don

Hallo Don,
it is exactly 3 years from your last post - so first of all we are very happy, that you are back on SOS.
and we all hope, that you will also be back joining our common hobby, that you are working in short time on your ST.
Wish you a fast recovery - and keep Care

I wish you a speedy recovery and a successful return to your ST.
I understand fully how our bodies can turn against us, the best I can say is "Hold Fast" sir.
I think my body tried to run over itself. It is hard when, in my case, I have been healthy most of my life. Now I feel like I am falling apart. Thanks for your kind words. "Hold Fast" it is.

Hallo Don,
it is exactly 3 years from your last post - so first of all we are very happy, that you are back on SOS.
and we all hope, that you will also be back joining our common hobby, that you are working in short time on your ST.
Wish you a fast recovery - and keep Care
Thanks!!

I hope you get better soon and back to doing the things you love.
The big challenge is my fingers. The neuropathy can be quite painful. Working on the ST has a lot of repetition. I don't do well on that point. But I really want to work on it again, so I will just have to do what I can do. Thanks!

Hi donlong, from a new member. There is an old saying that all good things come to an end and conversley so do all bad things. I hope that you have a successful recovery and complete the build of your ship.

Oh my Gosh ! Yes, Don, I certainly remember you. I was hoping one day to hear from you and I glad that I did and I hope and pray for a good recovery so that you can get back to the ST. Prayers your way.

Donnie

Hi donlong, from a new member. There is an old saying that all good things come to an end and conversley so do all bad things. I hope that you have a successful recovery and complete the build of your ship.
I not sure I know how to respond to this. The bad things seem to keep coming. Some with no end in sight. I do thank you for your thoughts. I have been refreshing myself as to where I stopped on the ST; what I was thinking and what to do next. It is slowly coming back to me.

Oh my Gosh ! Yes, Don, I certainly remember you. I was hoping one day to hear from you and I glad that I did and I hope and pray for a good recovery so that you can get back to the ST. Prayers your way.

Donnie
Thanks Donnie. I don't know how many times I have gone to the SOS just to stay somewhat up to date. It has taken me a long time to get to this point and I think I can finally get back to the ST now. Once I can see better, I will give it a go. I remember I was having problems with the stern. All those teeny, tiny windows. Anyway, thanks for the prayers.

Don

Back