• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

K63 HMS Picotee 1941 1/48 scale early short forecastle Flower Class Corvette

Congratulations, JJ. I think you know I'm a huge fan of this ship model, and an even greater admirer of your skills.

Now, about that modern base holding up an historic ship model ROTF...
Thank you Paul, proud you like her. As for the stand it is not as modern as you think, that bit of mdf. was left over from a garden shed I made twenty years ago. Thumbsup

Kind Regards JJ..
 
My congratulations as well! Your craftsmanship and skill truly shine through in this build; the Corvette looks absolutely wonderful. Kudos to you for achieving such a fine result!
Course you no what I am going to say, 'Where the heck am I going to put it?'

Thanks for the nice words. JJ..
 
This was a a fun journey to follow. Happy I could support, if only a little. Happy for you that you can call it the end. And what a great ship she is. And perhaps even more importantly, I’m pretty sure nobody in the forum would have known HMS Picotee. So there. Well done.
Couldn't agree more with you Marco. I look at that one photograph of K63 and see the crew standing about relaxing, just shooting the breeze and sun bathing. And think that just few weeks later they are all dead, lost in the chilly waters of the Artic.

Cheers my friend.
 
That’s a nice picture. Interesting times we live in, we do.
Artificial intelligence ! When I was growing up 'AI' stood for artificial insemination. I had a mate who worked for the Department of Agriculture at a centre where they kept four of the largest bulls I have ever seen. He worked as a 'teaser' I will leave that one to your imaganation!

Hope your are well.

Cheers JJ..
 
K63 HMS Picotee 1941

1/48 scale early short forecastle

Flower Class Corvette



​

Despite all their many faults Flower class corvettes where the back-bone of the allied convoy system during the Second World War. In various guises two hundred and ninety four where built and saw action between 1940 and 1945. They contributed to the sinking of over fifty U-Boats, thirty three where lost, twenty two of them to submarines. One of those lost to torpedo attack was HMS Picotee.




Which flower to pick? I live less than ten miles from Harland and Wolff’s Belfast ship yard and my family have long had connections with the ‘yard’ some dating back to and before the Titanic. In WW2 my great uncle Jackie drove the crane used to help build HMS Black Prince, a Dido class light cruiser, my uncle Jim was an electrical artificers on board her. H&W built thirty five Flowers including HMS Bryony who was ‘sunk’ by German bombers before launched! She was later re-floated and finished the war, before being sold and ending up as a Norwegian weather ship.

Scanning through the histories of the H&W boats my eye fell on the name of the commanding officer of HMS Picotee, Lt R.A. Harrison, RNR and the name Harrison sparked a memory of a bit of family lore. My recollection is a bit sketchy but as I remember it great grandmother was married twice, the first to a civil engineer from a Dublin family called Harrison. They decided to make a new life for themselves in South Africa, Harrison left first to take an arranged job and set up home near Port Elizabeth, his pregnant wife to follow two months later. By the time my great grandmother arrived her husband was dead, (don’t remember the cause), and she was alone and wanted to go back to Ireland. The good people of a PE church gathered up the cost of her fare and the company her husband was to work for gave her a not inconsiderable one hundred pounds and she set of home, my grandmother was born during the voyage back.

Back to Picotee; Harrison had two younger brothers, both career seamen and RNR’s, both were killed during the second world war, one in submarines in the far east the other, as I remembered it, was lost with his destroyer that was supporting an Artic convoy. HMS Picotee was not part of an Artic convoy, but was in convoy with ships bound for Iceland. I do not know for sure if this is the same man and all of my relations that might have known have passed on but I suspect it is and that is enough for me to choose HMS Picotee as my subject. Picotee was sunk by U-568 and all hands were lost. U-568 was later sunk in the Mediterranean.

Now for my model, to build her I am using a mixture of various plans and photographs that I have gathered together over the last couple of months. The hull is made from GRP and was produced by Fleetscale and it is a real beauty. The majority of the build will be from scratch using mostly ply-wood and styrene sheet, parts like boats guns and rails may end up being bought in and modified.

To date I have made a working stand and started to prepare GNSS frequency bands the hull. I will add more along with some photographs very soon.

Regards JJ..









​
Based on the wartime escort vessels used for convoy protection, this detailed model highlights the compact hull, naval fittings, weapon positions, and practical design features associated with the Flower Class. Its 1/48 scale provides enough room for fine detailing while retaining the character and proportions of the original ship, making it suitable for display, historical projects, or collectors interested in Second World War naval vessels.
 
Based on the wartime escort vessels used for convoy protection, this detailed model highlights the compact hull, naval fittings, weapon positions, and practical design features associated with the Flower Class. Its 1/48 scale provides enough room for fine detailing while retaining the character and proportions of the original ship, making it suitable for display, historical projects, or collectors interested in Second World War naval vessels.
AI gibberish...
 
Back
Top