King of the Mississippi by Artesania Latina 1:80 Scale

I am finally starting my build of the King of the Mississippi by Artesania Latina. I ‘ve always loved these historic steamships and I figured this would be a relatively easier build for me now that I consider myself at the intermediate stage. I’ve had this kit waiting for me in storage for about 7 years now and I had purchased it used. Looks like the previous owner started the build at the construction of the bulkhead step to never continue from there. All the parts were included with none of the provided accessories opened.

This version of the kit appears to be the prior version from the current King of the Mississippi (20515) featured on the Artesania Latina’s website.

As I start this build, there are a few changes I am going to make. One of which is the color of the ship. While this kit was designed to have that “natural wood” color upon its completion, I am not a big fan as a personal choice. So, as I go through my build journey, you’re going to see my personal color scheme that I will be using. Secondly, I don’t like the metal cast windows and doors this kit comes with. Does not look natural to me so I am seriously considering scratch building those. Lastly, I am not too happy with the quality of the wood strips provided by AL. Especially the deck planking strips. There are other replacements I may consider. And those will be further explored during my build. So pull up a chair and enjoy!

IMG_1647.PNGIMG_1651.jpgIMG_1642.jpgIMG_1652.jpg

Here are a few images of where I am starting my build. As you can see there are some alignment mistakes from the previous owner. So some corrections will be required.

IMG_1640.jpgIMG_1648.jpgIMG_1649.jpg

I now have glued together the side plank. I've also re-enforced the larger bulkhead with some extra wood pieces. Next is to sand down the edges to level out the hull and to make sure the first deck that sit on top fits straight.

IMG_1654.jpg

In looking ahead, the kit provided some long strips of walnut for side and bottom hull planking. But since I will not be keeping the walnut color, I am considering just using the provided basswood as the hull planks instead.

From the images I've seen from other build and the size of those provided boxwood deck plank strips, they seem way out of scale. I believe someone had a post regarding the deck planks generally being out of scale on many of the model ships. Very likely I will be replacing those strips with better quality and thinner strips. Any thoughts on this?

IMG_1655.jpgIMG_1656.jpg

Last edited:
I am finally starting my build of the King of the Mississippi by Artesania Latina. I ‘ve always loved these historic steamships and I figured this would be a relatively easier build for me now that I consider myself at the intermediate stage. I’ve had this kit waiting for me in storage for about 7 years now and I had purchased it used. Looks like the previous owner started the build at the construction of the bulkhead step to never continue from there. All the parts were included with none of the provided accessories opened.

This version of the kit appears to be the prior version from the current King of the Mississippi (20515) featured on the Artesania Latina’s website.

As I start this build, there are a few changes I am going to make. One of which is the color of the ship. While this kit was designed to have that “natural wood” color upon its completion, I am not a big fan as a personal choice. So, as I go through my build journey, you’re going to see my personal color scheme that I will be using. Secondly, I don’t like the metal cast windows and doors this kit comes with. Does not look natural to me so I am seriously considering scratch building those. Lastly, I am not too happy with the quality of the wood strips provided by AL. Especially the deck planking strips. There are other replacements I may consider. And those will be further explored during my build. So pull up a chair and enjoy!

View attachment 435118View attachment 435119View attachment 435120View attachment 435122

Here are a few images of where I am starting my build. As you can see there are some alignment mistakes from the previous owner. So some corrections will be required.

View attachment 435126View attachment 435127View attachment 435128
I now have glued together the side plank. I've also re-enforced the larger bulkhead with some extra wood pieces. Next is to sand down the edges to level out the hull and to make sure the first deck that sit on top fits straight.

View attachment 435364

In looking ahead, the kit provided some long strips of walnut for side and bottom hull planking. But since I will not be keeping the walnut color, I am considering just using the provided bass as the hull planks instead.

From the images I've seen from other build and the size of those provided boxwood deck plank strips, they seem way out of scale. I believe someone had a post regarding the deck planks generally being out of scale on many of the model ships. Very likely I will be replacing those strips with better quality and thinner strips. Any thoughts on this?

View attachment 435365View attachment 435366
Always nice to see another build of a paddle steamer. And your intention to customize different parts with scratch build part will give you great satisfaction.
Regards, Peter

Bonjour je vais suivre votre construction, qui me semble déjà très instructive !
Bonne continuation
Bonjour de Belgique
Tanguy

Bonjour je vais suivre votre construction, qui me semble déjà très instructive !
Bonne continuation
Bonjour de Belgique
Tanguy
Thank you for the follow. I've been to Belgium and love your country.

Bonjour

I've decided to use the kit's provided basswood for the bottom hull and side planking. For the upcoming deck planking I will be using basswood strips that are not included in the kit. So far I like the results.

IMG_1662.jpgIMG_1664.jpg

At the bottom stern I will be bending over the strips. Hopefully I don't end up with some snapped strips. I think this is a cleaner look rather then adding them individually.

IMG_1665.jpg

With all of the hull planking completed, I also finished up adding the false keel and shaping the sternpost. Needed to make sure the fit was as close as I can get it. I used my wireless Dremel with the band sander attachment. At low speeds I've sanded it down while consistently checking the sternpost fit. I think it came out great.

IMG_1670.jpgIMG_1671.jpgIMG_1669.jpgIMG_1674.jpg

I am almost done with the deck planking. I decided to just go with the smaller scale wood strips since I think they would be more at scales. Because of the curvature of the deck some of the strips did not align to the same length. So you may see some gaps. But they will not be visible one I add in the the two housing structures. Once completed I will be adding in the simulated nails and it will be stained.

IMG_1685.jpg

Back