Krick “Alert” U.S. Cutter, 1/25 scale

Happy happy birthday Jan! Slightly belated - but that is only due to the time zone difference, I have counted the days with you to the opening of your gift. I will follow along with you.

Happy Birthday, Jan!! Many more years to come, health and happiness!!! Birthday-Cake

Now it is official, and I will watch as your build progresses. should be a really nice model, as the kit quality looks great!

The start of the basics.

I cut out the false keel and bulkheads from the plywood sheets. The German manual has drawings on its last page of the parts on the plywood sheets. The parts are numbered and are also referenced by part number in the materials listing.

1DE46D25-B952-47C7-B1B5-578C1DF80A9D.jpeg

I numbered the bulkheads as show in the manual plans.

C261BF16-7672-4482-96BE-F9F786CC89ED_1_201_a.jpeg

Jan

The first dry test fit.

I lightly sanded the slots in the keel and bulkheads to remove some of the Laser char. I was very pleased to note that the bulkheads slid into their respective slots with very little effort on my part. The entire assembly is very rigid and for the most part the bulkheads are square to the keel.

7E0B3290-5A35-4059-A456-7281AAEBC559.jpeg

E95112D9-E23C-49AF-95DE-7D4B335D5A61.jpeg

The final step was to dry fit the deck.

F11016D2-4E16-43FA-9C12-7518141A69C3.jpeg

I worked from the stern to the stem carefully fitting the deck to the bulkheads and placed the paper clips as I worked my way forward. I did not have to file, sand or fiddle with any of the slots, the deck snapped into place without much effort.

So far I'm surprised and pleased with the quality of the kits Engineering and material.

Jan

Hi Jan. The Dutch shipyard has kept me so busy that I hardly had time to look around. That is a fine start - it looks like German engineering at its best. The deck is a beautiful fit. Keep the updates coming.
Heinrich

Jimsky and Heinrich, thank you for the encouraging words. In my opinion the engineering that went into this kit is superb. The material, the various plans and the build instructions all indicate careful planning.

I made a copy of the deck plan using my HP Officejet to use as a template.

82580DC4-3B06-44E4-A98A-DC7EE47E8CB5.jpeg

I placed the template on top of the deck to see how much distortion there was from copying the plan.

05BABA4F-3AFF-4A91-9729-9FC7CB8AF696.jpeg

Another pleasant surprise. Looking closely the mast circle locations were almost spot on.
Todays effort will be to transfer the paper template to some transparent Inkjet printable film sheets.
I think that will be a great help in spotting and marking all the deck fixtures.

Jan

First, happy birthdayBirthday-Cake.
Second, you did not waste anytime starting this projectThumbs-Up.
Lastly, looks like some nice instruction sheets with that kit.

Have Fun.

First, happy birthdayBirthday-Cake.
Second, you did not waste anytime starting this projectThumbs-Up.
Lastly, looks like some nice instruction sheets with that kit.

Have Fun.
I think somewhere in in this thread I mentioned that I would start this project on the afternoon of my Birthday about the time my party guests were enjoying Birthday cake and coffee. Given the current situation, there were no guests, no party, so I was able to get an early start. :p

Build question:

I’ve worked my way through many of the Forum build logs. I’ve seen many builds where the bow section of the frames are filled in to aid in having a surface to fasten the planks.

D5A31B9A-C0E3-4839-BE41-238B43BE7263.jpeg

What is the best material to do this. Balsa, Basswood?

Jan

Build question:

I’ve worked my way trough many of the Forum build logs. I’ve seen many builds where the bow section of the frames are filled in to aid in having a surface to fasten the planks.

Hi Jan. Kolderstok uses balsa on the Batavia.

Heinrich,

Thank you for the tip. I’ll have to order some on line since all the local Craft stores are temporarily closed.

Jan

Balsa wood... is the most-likely widely used for this purpose. It is easy to work with... a good alternative would be material @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) uses in his builds as the filler, I don't know the name but it is used to make big signs. Basswood is a good solution as well. In the end, you can use scraps of plywood glued together and then shaped

Rowboat, Jimsky,

Thank you for the input. I've looked at the difference between Balsa and Basswood. Basswood is denser and less subject to moisture. I'll check with Dave Stevens to find to what he uses.

Jan

Back