La Nina - Artesania Latina - my first Wooden ship model.

Lol. How did I not see that? Now I know why you didn't see it straight away. Thank you.
I've recently completed Amati La Niña, her lateens are bent starboard of the masts. I guess It's a kit maker's decision. The AoS book shows them to port, but then no one really knows for sure & AoS is based on the replicas, as I'm led to believe.

I've recently completed Amati La Niña, her lateens are bent starboard of the masts. I guess It's a kit maker's decision. The AoS book shows them to port, but then no one really knows for sure & AoS is based on the replicas, as I'm led to believe.

I have always believed that to tack a lateen rig the yard would be 'dipped' to the vertical position and then swung around to the opposite side of the mast. However, I've just watched a YouTube video which contradicts this so I'm no longer sure. The video deals with modern, small boar sailing and maybe is not to be taken as an authority for older, larger vessels. Everything is always more complicated that it appears!

Hi there Stuart Little and Bertie McBoatface. lots of confusion and conflicting summations by all that claim to be correct by virtue of their published personal accounts and/or interpretation taken from Columbus' diary, or alleged dimensions of a Caravel or Nao based on what is, or was, perceived to be the tonnage of cargo capable of being transported. Not to mention pictures and paintings by artist who may have had a penchant for flair and exaggeration. My personal view is that all reproductions of the Columbus ships is similar to playing darts whereby if you hit the dartboard or anywhere near it or for that matter the wall behind it, one can say "my shot is accurate". This is not to say that they are all wrong just that each analyses or sees differently. Therefore it's best to consider everything and chose that which suits best. As far as the Lateen sail is confirmed On my 'La Pinta' I made it possible for the yard to be changed from port to starboard based on this; photo

Lateen Sails..png

ooops forgot. this is from "The ships of Christopher Columbus" by Franco Gay and Cesare Ciano, English Edition page 44. Cheers.

Back