"La Reale" (Heller), converted for a Galley Festival

On the tour through my model ship world, I showed the galley “La Reale”, alongside the “Soleil Royal” and the “Chebec”, one of the flagship models of the French company Heller from the seventies. I built the model about ten years ago, and since then I have actually managed to save the extremely fragile ship undamaged through several moves. In the meantime, however, I've seen myself a little fed up with it, and while researching the Internet, I had an idea for a far-reaching modification. Here one picture of the finished model again.

40776017sl.gif

And here are two contemporary images showing comparable ships in port. They have put up sunsails or nightsails, which I find extremely decorative.

41222645gj.jpg

41222646ll.jpg

And here are two pictures that show a so-called Galley Festival (Fête de Galeres). That was certainly not an amusement for the poor galley convicts, but partys for an aristocratic audience. In fact, around 1700 the galleys were less of an effective weapon and more of a kind of royal yacht fleet, which is especially true for the "Real" as their flagship, whose ornaments were designed by a famous sculpturer. From these illustrations and further research I have drawn some suggestions that I would now like to implement.

41222644mk.jpg

40884204oh.jpg

The first change is that I put self-made windows in the structure at the rear. There are models for this in historical illustrations and plans. In my eyes, the structure looks more closed and somehow more homely.

Built oob:

41218802ax.jpg

Modifikation:

41218803hz.jpg

To be continued.
Schmidt

In addition to the windows in the rear, I covered the “pergola” above with a cloth in the same red. The golden fringes create a special effect. Since I didn't know whether I would like the cover, I covered the struts of the pergola with adhesive tape so that the paper handkerchief did not stick when it was dry, but could be removed. The procedure was also required in order to be able to cut the fringes into the edge.

41235678vf.jpg

41235679eu.jpg

So that there is still a view of the inside, I have shown the cloth on the other side in the folded state.

41235680cm.jpg

41235681no.jpg

I really like the result. It's almost a shame that the pelmet covers some areas when looking from the side.

41235682wy.jpg

I have revised the ornaments on the stern a little by drybrushing the protruding areas with a lighter gold. In my opinion, the model of the Real was designed by the same designer as that of the Soleil Royal. I think I can recognize his handwriting in the design of the figures and the frescoes. Unfortunately, the ornaments on the galley do not stand out as well as on the Soleil. So it will depend very much on the presentation of the finished model. If possible, it should only be presented a little below eye level.

41235683mp.jpg

Schmidt

Bonjour,
Il y a une vingtaine d'années, j'avais fait cette galère "Réale" à l'échelle du 1/75e avec les plans de notre Association (l'AAMM, Amis du Musée de la Marine) le modèle de Heller est vraiment un beau modèle, et le votre est superbe .

Hello,
About twenty years ago, I had made this "Real" galley at the scale of 1 / 75th with the plans of our Association (AAMM, Friends of the Maritime Museum) the model of Heller is really a beautiful model, and yours is superb.

IMG_3924.JPG

FrancisIMG_3923.JPGIMG_3946.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to stare at that model in the window of Polk's Hobby on 5th Ave, NYC as a child. It, along with my childhood, is long gone. What a glorious piece of work.

I have grapes growing on mine.
How did you shrink the grapes to a 1:75 scale? ;)

Graviou Francis
Thank you for showing the beautiful model. The Heller model is based on the aforementioned plans of the Paris Museum and the model kept there. I hope one can see it there after the renovation.
Schmidt

Le modèle que j'ai construit (photos que j'ai postées ci-dessus), a été réalisé à l'échelle de la monographie éditée par notre association (l'AAMM). Celle-ci était proposée (à l'époque), au 1/75e, en 2 feuilles de plans, un fascicule explicatif et des photographies d'un de nos modèles des collections du Musée de la Marine de Paris. C'est modèles de galères ("réales"), sont parmi nos modèles exposés, les plus prisés des visiteurs, peut-être parceque les ornements d'une de ces galères (Réales)
peuvent être admirés dans notre Musée de Paris. Malheureusement, celui-ci est en rénovation complète, mais les travaux avance bien, et nous espérons que le Musée pourra ouvrir comme prévu (en 2022). À ce sujet, le site du musée propose des vistes virtuelles sur le site, (sur l'avancement des travaux également) et les collections également en ligne. Tous nos autres musées de la Marine (Château de Brest, Arsenal de Rochefort (avec la Frégate Hermione qui se trouve sur le site de l'arsenal à proximité du Musée), Musée de la Citadelle de Port-Louis et de la Compagnie des Indes (Lorient), d'où dans ce lieu, a été construit, notamment le Duc de Duras, qui plus tard deviendra le Vaisseau de John Paul Jones "Le Bonhomme Richard". arsenal de Toulon est également réouvert avec ses très belles collections. Je mets pour informations, les photos que j'avais achetées à notre association (AAMM), plans en 2 feuilles au 1 / 75e

Françis

google translation:
The model that I built (photos that I posted above), was carried out to the scale of the monograph published by our association (AAMM). This was offered (at the time), at 1 / 75th, in 2 sheets of plans, an explanatory booklet and photographs of one of our models from the collections of the Musée de la Marine in Paris. These are models of galleys ("real"), are among our models on display, the most popular with visitors, perhaps because the ornaments of one of these galleys (Réales)
can be admired in our Paris Museum. Unfortunately, it is undergoing a complete renovation, but the works are progressing well, and we hope that the Museum will be able to open as planned (in 2022). In this regard, the museum site offers virtual tours of the site (also on the progress of the work) and the collections also online. All our other naval museums (Brest Castle, Arsenal de Rochefort (with the Frigate Hermione which is on the site of the arsenal near the Museum), Museum of the Citadel of Port-Louis and the Compagnie des Indes (Lorient), from where in this place, was built, in particular the Duke of Duras, which later became the vessel of John Paul Jones "Le Bonhomme Richard". Toulon arsenal is also reopened with its very beautiful collections. put for information, the photos that I had bought from our association (AAMM), plans in 2 sheets at 1 / 75th

20210523_132901.jpg20210523_133103.jpg20210523_133212.jpg
Pour une galère construite en charpente, il y a également la monographie (la Fleur de Lys) de Gérard Delacroix (éditions Ancre), qui est superbement détaillée, et qui aide à construire un superbe modèle de galère.

Amicalement

Francis

Last edited by a moderator:
The aft deck of the Heller galley is very simply designed with transverse planks.

41267667hd.jpg

The original occupies a kind of chess pattern parquet here. The cover for access to the lower deck was let into it. I tried to recreate this with strips of polystyrene. I muliplied the completed puzzled part several times with silicone and resin in order to be able to do several color tests on them.

40988386mf.jpg

Here is the winner. Cut into pieces and relocated, the parquet part also forms the floor inside the pergola.

41267666ys.jpg

Schmidt

Of course, one cannot expect the noble ladies and gentlemen of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries to step over the row benches on which the galley slaves were chained. For this reason, the crew laid planks over the rear row benches, which form a flat surface on both sides of the running track (coursie).

41162040vq.jpg

In the photo you can already see the supports for the awning. But its construction is a chapter in itself that I will deal with later.
Schmidt

..... et le votre est superbe .
...... and yours is superb.

Francis
to get such a positive feedback by such a well known modeler - this is really a kudos to your work @Schmidt

BTW (off topic, sorry) to @GRAVIOU Francis :
you mentioned some months ago, that you are working on several projects and will show it to us in future -> would be very interesting to see

Oui, c'est vrai que j'ai plusieurs projets, mais tous un peu retardés par des problèmes de santé qui sont actuellement en cours de traitement et tout devrait s'arranger je l'espère très vite

Amicalement

Francis

google translation:
Yes, it is true that I have several projects, but all a little delayed by health problems which are currently being treated and everything should be fine I hope very quickly
Kindly
Francis

Hello Schmidt,

the images of your great model are rather small. I've no doubt, that many of the watchers here would be happy if they could see the details more clearly. Perhaps you have the possibility to post images in higher resolution?

Greetings, Hartmut

I posted my pictures in a resolution of 600 x 450, as I am used to do in other fora. On my Monitor they fill about a quarter of the display und in my view show all details. Have I perhaps made something wrong?
Schmidt

No, everything is OK. I can also see them in a quarter of the screen size. That shouldn't be a criticism, I'm sorry if you got it that way. I know that your pictures in the Wettringer are of the same size and I assumed that your original pictures are bigger in size and that you scaled them down for the Wettringer forum to conform to the rules of that forum. Because there are no such restrictions here in SOS, I thought that you could have posted them here in their original size. But that was a misunderstanding.

Greetings, Hartmut

Last edited:
I posted my pictures in a resolution of 600 x 450, as I am used to do in other fora. On my Monitor they fill about a quarter of the display und in my view show all details. Have I perhaps made something wrong?
Schmidt
Nothing wrong
On our forum, the member is not forced to reduce the size before the uploading
Here in SOS, you can eaisly upload your photo in original size, and the software will do the downsizing automatically to the best size - with this the member can see the phot in a much bigger size - try it once and you will recognize the difference

Back