Lauck Street AVS in 1:32 Scale

Here are pictures of my completed plank on frame model of a typical Armed Virginia Sloop in 1:32 scale. This was the first completed build of the kit produced by Bob Hunt/Lauck Street Shipyard. Dubbed Patrick Henry, the model features redgum and cherry woods, 3D printed detail parts, Admiralty style with no masting/rigging. All the parts in the kit were CNC cut and shaped by hand. I spent 360 hours building this kit and completed it in 2015. Enjoy!

Final1c.jpgfinal2.jpgfinal3.jpgfinal4.jpgfinal5.jpgfinal6.jpgfinal7.jpgfinal8.jpgfinal9.jpgfinal10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike,

Now that's a handsome looking model. I only sold forty some kits of the Patrick Henry. Sales just slowed down so much that I didn't want to order $500.00 worth of stripwood for another 8 kits (which was my minimum order requirement) that I just decided to stop producing the kit. I've since sold my laser cutter so that's another kit I'll never produce again.

Take care,

Bob

Mike did a fantastic job on this model! Other than the prototype, his was the first Lauck Street AVS completed. I owe him a lot of thanks for all the help he gave me as I followed his build with my own. This was a great kit. Too bad it's not being produced anymore.

Finished a little bit differently than Daves's Avs but as nice as his!

Yup... mine was built straight out of the box... Dave gave his the deluxe treatment!!

Here are pictures of my completed plank on frame model of a typical Armed Virginia Sloop in 1:32 scale. This was the first completed build of the kit produced by Bob Hunt/Lauck Street Shipyard. Dubbed Patrick Henry, the model features redgum and cherry woods, 3D printed detail parts, Admiralty style with no masting/rigging. All the parts in the kit were CNC cut and shaped by hand. I spent 360 hours building this kit and completed it in 2015. Enjoy!

Final1c.jpg
final2.jpg
final3.jpg
final4.jpg
final5.jpg
final6.jpg
final7.jpg
final8.jpg
final9.jpg
final10.jpg

Good morning ship modelers!!! I have recovered a back-up copy of my original build log from 2015 of this great model. It was Bob Hunt's last POF kit from Lauck Street Shipyard and is a beauty. My build log has a lot of very good techniques for POF builders. I am happy to recreate this build log here if there is interest. The model is a 1:32 scale Armed Virginia Sloop. Only about 40 kits were produced. I believe my kit was the first completed model. DocBlake also has another example where he added a lot of beautiful upgrades to enhance the look. My model depicts the original Hunt version.

Let me know if you would like to see this rather extensive build log!!!

Last edited:
Good morning ship modelers!!! I have recovered a back-up copy of my original build log from 2015 of this great model. It was Bob Hunt's last POF kit from Lauck Street Shipyard and is a beauty. My build log has a lot of very good techniques for POF builders. I am happy to recreate this build log here if there is interest. The model is a 1:32 scale Armed Virginia Sloop. Only about 100 kits were produced. I believe my kit was the first completed model. DocBlake also has another example where he added a lot of beautiful upgrades to enhance the look. My model depicts the original Hunt version.

Let me know if you would like to see this rather extensive build log!!!
Of course ,don’t even ask Lol

Hello folks.... Thanks for the interest..... I have started a new thread in the build log section of my original Patrick Henry log from 2015. Enjoy. Hopefully Doc will help me answer some of your questions...... 5 years is a long time...

KentM
I have built Robert Hunt's Fair American and Halifax. I was very pleased with these builds and those kits. I like my results. I was extremely disappointed with Hunt's kit of the AVS. He must have changed his cutting on later editions or something from what DocBlake and mrshanks kits. For example his transom cut was different than shown on the instructions and what mrshanks log and model showed. Caused all sorts of issues. There were also some missing cuts that I had to fabricate. Instructions were short cut in comparison to his earlier models. I don't know if he was rushing to get kits out or what. Just not a very fun experience. I was just so surprised from my other experiences with his work. There has been another modeler that I spoke to that had the similar issues.

I hope your experience is more like DocBlake and mrshanks than mine. Good luck.

Last edited:
There has been another modeler that I spoke to that had the similar issues.
Yes Bob.... it is true. Even I had some difficulties with the kit and just getting along with Bob himself. I will always credit him for teaching me the basics. The rest came on my own and work I did with my friends like DocBlake and DonRobinson. It seems Bob has backed away from the hobby now... I reached out to him only about a week ago but he did not respond. It is a shame as he does have a lot of talent to share.

yes he was quite difficult. He did get my introduced into the hobby by using his practicum for MSW Armed Virginia Sloop, which I would still recomend for first time builder. I believe it might still be available on his site.
I have the Fubbs kit to build yet after I finish some other projects so hope not the same issues.
I am searching for his Kingfisher Kit. So if you know of anyone that might want to sell I am really interested.
Thanks

Back