Le Requin Xebec ZHL plank on frame kit.

Very nice Brian!!We need more kits like this ,actually Zhl upgrading most of their kits every year ,they are not sitting on the same kit for 30 years with some crapy decorations. :angry-banghead:

Been working on the ships oars this week for a change of pace.

As per usual with this kit, everything is laser cut from solid cherry. The accuracy of the laser cutting is first rate, with no scorch marks and minimal laser char to clean up.

Second photo is oars cleaned up and assembled, varnished and bundled together.IMG_2337.JPGIMG_2343.JPG

I have just been over to Brian's place and saw the ZHL Le Requin Xebec. There is one thing better than seeing photos and that is in person.

Yes I did invite myself but there was an invitation coming up soon.

Whilst I was there we also had a very enjoyable webcam meeting with Donnie.

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Brian,

Was the windlass included in your kit or did you add it on your own. My kit didn't come with a windlass.

I've started the masting and rigging but that's going rather slow. The blocks in the kit are terrible - laser cut. I have to sand all sides with a sanding stick to remove the char and then I have to cut grooves in them for the ropes that seize them as well as the ropes that pass through the holes. It takes a lot of time to do that.

Bob

Hi Bob,
I have put this model on hold for awhile as I personally don't enjoy rigging. Its my least favorite part of the build and I assumed the Xebec would be easy to rig. But once you get into it, its really a complicated affair.
Anyway agree with you, I tossed away all the kit supplied ropes and tackle blocks and purchased better ones and made my own ropes.

As for the windlass, I scratch built mine.

Brian,
rigging is definitely not enjoyable - at least not for me either - but a necessary must. At least the Mediterrenian type of rigging is that much different of the English one that this might make the job a little bit more enjoyable. I built the Amati Xebec just for the sake of the rigging (otherwise the kit was something to forget anyhow...)
Janos

sorry guys, I have been absent from this forum for some time.
I have been selling my home and moving down the coast into semi retirement mode. All my ship modelling tools and equipment is packed away, so it will be later this year before I am back at the work bench again.

sorry guys, I have been absent from this forum for some time.
I have been selling my home and moving down the coast into semi retirement mode. All my ship modelling tools and equipment is packed away, so it will be later this year before I am back at the work bench again.

It's just good to hear from you mate. I'm feeling very sorry for you, as I know what's in front of you. It's not the best of time, but you have to tell your wife, the house that........
.........you get must have room
for your modeling toys
and for you to spread out.
Also the house has to be freshly painted.....you don't want a painter to come in do the house for you. You did say you are going to retire. LOL.:p
Happymodeling whenyoucan.
Greg

Brian, I am fairly new to the site and have been cruising around some of the build logs. Looking forward to seeing the continuation of this one, fantastic workmanship. Good luck with your move.

Last edited:
Hi Brian,
I have this kit for about 3months I have been studying the drawings. Having made another kit that had similar construction

although a lot smaller, in the kit you built Xebec I noticed the deck planks are marked on the wood can you say what timber

you used and did you follow the pattern marked on the decks.

THANK YOU MY REGARDS JANET

Hi Janet,
I think you were previously on the other forum, so welcome here.

As to your question on the deck planking, its laser cut in the correct curvature bow and stern in individual pieces, not printed on wood.

The timber is Indonesian rainforest wood in individual strips, I'm not sure what the species is. I used my own Castello boxwood for the side hull planking.

cheers Brian.

Hi Brian.
Thank you for your quick reply , I was indeed on the other site good spotting on your part.

I hope you will bear with me if I ask you another question, I have my own methods of fixing deck planking

I would be interested to know what type of glue you are using.

Dearest wishes JANET.

Hi guys,
unfortunately 12 months ago the model blew over in the wind, and broke a few pieces.
I have covered it with a plastic sheet and put it away. Eventually I will be back into finishing it after completion of my current build.

Hi gang,

Thought I would kick off a build log of my Xebec Le Requin. This is a 1-48 scale true plank on frame kit, all laser cut.

It has been produced by ZHL models from China. There are a few different versions of this kit available, but this is the full plank on frame version with boxwood decorations. Its quite expensive at over $1,170 US dollars but when you see the quality of the kit contents, I'm afraid it leaves almost every other kit manufacturer from Europe and the U.S behind in value for money.
The timber for the frames, cannon carriages and deck fittings are solid Cherry, with hull and deck planking in Indonesian rainforest timber (which looks like boxwood.)

The wooden decorations are boxwood of the highest quality I have ever seen.

View attachment 23876

Hi gang,

Thought I would kick off a build log of my Xebec Le Requin. This is a 1-48 scale true plank on frame kit, all laser cut.

It has been produced by ZHL models from China. There are a few different versions of this kit available, but this is the full plank on frame version with boxwood decorations. Its quite expensive at over $1,170 US dollars but when you see the quality of the kit contents, I'm afraid it leaves almost every other kit manufacturer from Europe and the U.S behind in value for money.
The timber for the frames, cannon carriages and deck fittings are solid Cherry, with hull and deck planking in Indonesian rainforest timber (which looks like boxwood.)

The wooden decorations are boxwood of the highest quality I have ever seen.

View attachment 23876
WHAT AN ELEGANT LOOKING CRAFT, I read about Xebecs in Patrick O'Brian but it is interesting to see one, Brilliant Work!

Back